Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

matrim wrote: »
    Apparently Bournemouth want 25m for Mings. I wouldn't pay that, it's way too much for him.

Pay it if it’s needed. We’ve spent that much on a striker nobody had heard of, why would we not spend it on a guy who is proven as a leader in this team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

CSF wrote: »
    Pay it if it’s needed. We’ve spent that much on a striker nobody had heard of, why would we not spend it on a guy who is proven as a leader in this team?

He's played 30 games since 2015. 15 good games in the championship doesn't mean he's worth 25m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Patser

Yep, I love Mings and want him at club but £25 million is about 7 too much. Strange they want so much for a player they'd frozen out of squad.

matrim wrote: »
    He's played 30 games since 2015. 15 good games in the championship doesn't mean he's worth 25m

Transfer market has massively inflated. What was worth 25 million before isn’t what is now. If we’re saying he is worth 25 million we are saying he is worth half a Wan Bissaka. Which I don’t think is THAT crazy. I mean I hope the club are being sensible in negotiations, and clearly they are trying to fight for every million in the deal, otherwise the deal would probably already be done.

But if we’ve to slightly overpay for what should unquestionably be our number one target in this window, I’m signing Mings without worry because I’m not overly worried about relegation with him in the team.

Patser wrote: »
    Yep, I love Mings and want him at club but £25 million is about 7 too much. Strange they want so much for a player they'd frozen out of squad.

It was the same for Fulham and Mitrovic. They know how valuable he is to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If we were able to buy him in January they would have taken 6 or 7 mill.

JPA wrote: »
    If we were able to buy him in January they would have taken 6 or 7 mill.

Yeah, true. Pity we didn’t get a buyout clause then. But a lot of things have changed in the situation since then. He’s now become what would be a star player and marquee signing for a Premier League club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If it’s actually true that they want 25m and they won’t budge I’d cool the interest, sign another CB (we need two in anyway, based off links I’d guess Webster or Cahill atm) and hope Ming’s hands in a transfer request. That said if it’s just a negotiation tactic I’ve no issue given how the market has inflated if Villa have to pay an extra couple of million to bring back a player who is already a fan favorite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I'm very wary of relying on him as our main defender, his injury record is awful

• Advertisement

If it’s actually true that they want 25m and they won’t budge I’d cool the interest, sign another CB (we need two in anyway, based off links I’d guess Webster or Cahill atm) and hope Ming’s hands in a transfer request. That said if it’s just a negotiation tactic I’ve no issue given how the market has inflated if Villa have to pay an extra couple of million to bring back a player who is already a fan favorite
    Would you not be worried that having Webster and Cahill as our 2 CB signings would dramatically increase our chances of going down, relative to Mings and either of those 2.

With Mings you’ve got a leader who we already know works as a star man in this team. I dunno what kind of price you put on that as a premium ahead of 2 signings who would represent an unknown quantity in terms of what they represent for us.

Webster hasn’t played for a big club yet and Cahill hasn’t really played for quite some time now. If it’s Webster for 15 and Bristol City won’t go any lower or Mings for 25 and Bournemouth won’t go any lower, I know what decision I’m making there without any hesitation.

Hopefully the club can push Bournemouth lower though and this may well happen it nobody else shows the kind of interest in paying that amount of money for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Webster won't be cheap either, it'll be 20+ by the sounds of it for him too. The fees are crazy currently but the club have to be careful not to use that as an excuse to go out and sign because 'oh it's just the way it is'. We should have a broader scope on Europe at this stage surely with Pitarch etc. I love Mings but if the fee is crazy, it's crazy. I think it'll get done though eventually and not for 30m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Yeah, true. Pity we didn’t get a buyout clause then. But a lot of things have changed in the situation since then. He’s now become what would be a star player and marquee signing for a Premier League club.

He had a really good half season in the Championship, Scott Hogan had 18 very good months there and look at him now.

I'd take him for 10 million. Bournemouth are playing on the feeling the club and fans have for him.

Do you think Newcastle fans or Leicester fans would be 20% as excited about Mings signing as Villa fans would be.

Hold out and they will cave as the window comes close. He might come out and push the transfer himself. I just hope the guys negotiating his wages aren't as excited.

Didn’t suggest signing both but signing one of those and Ming’s is kind of what I was expecting and if Bournemouth are trying to take advantage of our obvious need maybe getting one of them in first might help especially as Ming’s was the deal I thought might take a while with Bournemouth potentially also going to lose Ake too and needing to sign some CBS themselves.

LeBash wrote: »
    He had a really good half season in the Championship, Scott Hogan had 18 very good months there and look at him now.

I'd take him for 10 million. Bournemouth are playing on the feeling the club and fans have for him.

Do you think Newcastle fans or Leicester fans would be 20% as excited about Mings signing as Villa fans would be.

Hold out and they will cave as the window comes close. He might come out and push the transfer himself. I just hope the guys negotiating his wages aren't as excited.

But the excitement about Mings is that he was that good in this team under this manager. We’ve already seen him be together with McGinn as the star player in the team behind Grealish.

That’s not really the same as signing a guy who has had a good spell under a different coach in a different system, at a different club with different players.

Most of the signings we make in this window will come in a risk in how the player beds into the team. The loan players from last season don’t come with that risk. I’d like to see Tammy signed too and ideally Axel loaned back again (although I’d have obviously preferred for him to be signed permanently or with a genuine chance of a built-in option to sign) but don’t expect those ones will be possible.

I think we may have missed our chance with Tammy given Morata signing for Athletico and them losing Hazard who has been used as a false 9. Chelsea’s remaining forwards are Tammy, Batshuayi and Giroud and a club of that size would probably want to keep all 3 and with a lot of talk about the youth getting a chance there under Lampard I don’t think we will get him even though I too would have liked that signing more than many villa fans on here.

• Advertisement

I think we may have missed our chance with Tammy given Morata signing for Athletico and them losing Hazard who has been used as a false 9. Chelsea’s remaining forwards are Tammy, Batshuayi and Giroud and a club of that size would probably want to keep all 3 and with a lot of talk about the youth getting a chance there under Lampard I don’t think we will get him even though I too would have liked that signing more than many villa fans on here.

After signing Wesley, Tammy was never going to happen. Unless it was 10 millionish.

After signing Wesley, Tammy was never going to happen. Unless it was 10 millionish.

Honestly wouldn’t be shocked to see Villa spend another20m on a forward. The 22m spent on Wesley isn’t huge money really given the way that prices have been inflated. Brentford for example are looking for that much for Maupay. Plus I still expect at least Hogan to move on from Villa’s forwards.

A fee reportedly agreed for Mings, around £20m. Travelling to Birmingham tonight to complete the deal.

Corholio wrote: »
    A fee reportedly agreed for Mings, around £20m. Travelling to Birmingham tonight to complete the deal.

Get in!!!

being reported he is already headed back to Birmingham and that the deal will be 100% done for 20m in the next 24hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Smith & Pitarch at the AFCON looking to make a £10m bid for Trezuguet

Sky sports saying fee agreed of up to 26.5 million. That's a joke.

That's going to be a huge loss in a few years.

Sky sports saying fee agreed of up to 26.5 million. That's a joke.

That's going to be a huge loss in a few years.

I agree it’s defo on the high side if that is correct, but what do you mean by a huge loss? This defo isn’t the kind of signing we’re making for future resale value.

I feel like there’ll be no in between here, either a Mellberg type club legend or a Bouma where we knew the ability but couldn’t keep him fit.

I’m a bit surprised the reactions to the transfer fee have come to this one and not the 22 million lad most of us didn’t seem to know about at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Sono

I agree it’s defo on the high side if that is correct, but what do you mean by a huge loss? This defo isn’t the kind of signing we’re making for future resale value.

I feel like there’ll be no in between here, either a Mellberg type club legend or a Bouma where we knew the ability but couldn’t keep him fit.

I’m a bit surprised the reactions to the transfer fee have come to this one and not the 22 million lad most of us didn’t seem to know about at the time.

I’m with you on this one.

A few million more than we all would have liked but who cares really, important to get him in and quick. I think it’s a great signing and will prove to be a bargain provided he doesn’t get any long term injury.

Anyone ever see this Trezeguet lad we are linked with? Never even heard of him myself but 10m its a fairly low risk too.

Need to sort the GK situation soon too, I’m sure Dean and his team are working very hard to get it all done soon, I think we will be in good shape come Spurs in August, bring it on.

Hes 26 and couldn't break into the first team of a PL club, we should be getting a player with great potential resale value.

The El Ghazi and Hause deals were really good business that are sustainable and will make the club money should we choose to sell them.

I'm happy the guy is arriving but the fee is outrageous for what he is on paper, an unwanted 4th or 5ft choice centre back.

If he wasnt at Villa last year that deal would have been done for 4-6million and there wasnt a queue of clubs looking to sign him which says a lot about the fee they were looking for.

Hes 26 and couldn't break into the first team of a PL club, we should be getting a player with great potential resale value.

The El Ghazi and Hause deals were really good business that are sustainable and will make the club money should we choose to sell them.

I'm happy the guy is arriving but the fee is outrageous for what he is on paper, an unwanted 4th or 5ft choice centre back.

If he wasnt at Villa last year that deal would have been done for 4-6million and there wasnt a queue of clubs looking to sign him which says a lot about the fee they were looking for.

Mings has proven himself last season that he could play a run of games injury free and that he is an excellent CB who is commanding and a leader in a side.

I agree if he wasn’t with us he would be going for buttons but he was and he was bloody brilliant so he deserves this move to a big club.

Welcome Mings!

Sono wrote: »
    Mings has proven himself last season that he could play a run of games injury free and that he is an excellent CB who is commanding and a leader in a side.

I agree if he wasn’t with us he would be going for buttons but he was and he was bloody brilliant so he deserves this move to a big club.

Welcome Mings!

That's heart over head stuff lad.

It's definitely not 26m imo. Might be add ons that add up to that but I'd be very sceptical of Sky Sports figures. If 26m is the total plus add ons it will mean he will have done so well for them to kick in. Percy reporting £20m and I'd trust his sources a lot more. I don't really care what he did, or as it was, unable to do because of injury, at Bournemouth. Howe's judgment of players in the market has been very hit and miss, especially in his bigger transfers.

Money that amount is always a risk but a lot of the early things players have problems with, settling in, style of play, bonding etc is already done.

Just don’t see the big issue over a few million as a fan, it’s not that much of a difference really. I do think 20m is the max he is worth but I wouldn’t be bothered over paying 5m more than he’s worth. He could prove to be a bargain for that money. Time will tell but least we know what we are getting.

Sono wrote: »
    Just don’t see the big issue over a few million as a fan, it’s not that much of a difference really. I do think 20m is the max he is worth but I wouldn’t be bothered over paying 5m more than he’s worth. He could prove to be a bargain for that money. Time will tell but least we know what we are getting.

It stinks of how poorly the club is being run......again. I dont want to see us in the Championship again with a stupidly high wage bill and this time no stadium on the end of year accounts to back some of it up.

• Advertisement

It stinks of how poorly the club is being run......again. I dont want to see us in the Championship again with a stupidly high wage bill and this time no stadium on the end of year accounts to back some of it up.

I feel much less worried about Villa being in the Championship again with Mings being in the team.

I do think 26 million seems on the high side (I also think it’s not the actual price) but the Wesley price surely is even more headturning. But then I seem to be headturning at a lot of transfers recently. Look at Wan Bissaka’s price. Way over 100 million for a player from the Portuguese league.

The market has inflated to the point that I don’t know how to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭basillarkin

17 PL games in four seasons is a big worry for me. 26m is way over the odds. Considering Chester can be injury prone at times as well, we definitely need one if not two centre halves in. Would take Cahill on a years deal if available. Webster been mentioned as well but some reports are 20m plus as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

If he wasnt at Villa last year that deal would have been done for 4-6million

If he wasn't at Villa last year, they wouldn't be looking at him at all, and would likely spend £20 million on another, untested in a Villa team, defender. I don't know about anyone else, but i'd rather have a guy who I know can play with the players around him, than someone else who might not mesh. Mings clearly wants to come to the club, he's insanely popular in the locker room, the fans love him, and he's proven capable of doing a job. And let us not forget, every transfer, no matter the value, is a gamble.

If the rumor mill was right then the following would happen:

Leeds sign Stokes Ryan Woods allowing Kalvin Phillips to join villa for a fee similar to Ming’s price
    Sturridge and Cahill would sign for free (but probably both be on hefty wages for 1/2 years respectively
    Butland would also be brought in for around 20m
    Finally another midfielder would be brought in from the continent (Trezeguet for example)

Not sure about Sturridge myself as there is imo more risk with that signing as he will want more than a 1 year deal and considering its a free transfer will probably want 100k or so in wages given he was on more than that at Pool. Maybe if someone like Brentford (did well there before) were interested in Hogan I could see someone like Maupay coming in instead in a cash plus player deal (and much lower wages).

Could use another DM as we released two in Whelan and Jedinak but all that I’ve seen linked like Rongier / Marvelous in France I wouldn’t think would sign as well as Phillips.

................................Butland

Guillbert......Chester/Cahill....Mings..... Targett

.........................McGinn.....Phillips

..Maupay....................Grealish..........Trezeguet/El Ghazi

..................................Wesley

Subs: (Cahill/El Ghazi) Steer, Elmohamady, Hause, Green, Hourihane, Jota, Kodija
    In reserve: Taylor, Bree, Lansbury, Thor, whichever international GK we can’t shift, young lads like Davis

Moved on: Hogan, Tshibola, Nyland or Kalinic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭pavb2

Could use another DM as we released two in Whelan and Jedinak but all that

I don't think I'm loooking at it through the green tinted specs but Whelan got better as the season went on. Unlike Jedinak and Lansbury he was injury free. and though Whelan wouldn't be the first name on the team sheet I would have given him another year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I wouldn't be interested in Sturridge. When was the last time he was fit and played well. Just seems like a Richards type of signing where we end up spending a load of money for someone who doesn't play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Looking at that proposed line up are we in danger of doing a Fulham

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Don't mind Fulham, plenty of teams have spent big when promoted and were fine, plenty spend medium and are fine, plenty spend small and are fine. A lot also go down, spending doesn't come into it, having a decent squad gives us the best chance of staying up.

Premier League is crazy in any case with the amount of cash floating around. It's not my money, so I'm not overly worried. As long as the board have a plan B for one season then relegation then there should be no issue.

kilburn wrote: »

What is a Fulham exactly? I’d have thought Fulham was more like the team that Villa had that got relegated. Lots of players signed from abroad that were neither experienced yet nor ready to go.

Those Fulham lads may well come good like Amavi, Veretout and Gueye also. Most of what Villa have signed so far are players who know this team or at worst English football.

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »

Was mostly putting together the Media speculated 11 there but I suppose there are a few question marks over certain players whether that suggests a fulham or not.

Personally i'd say fees have jumped up quite a bit since even last year so Villa having to spend big isn't that much of a shock. I mean I can't remember championship sides ever slapping 30m price tags on their players (what we are to believe Leeds have with Phillips for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Sky Sports say we're not interested in Butland any longer due to the transfer fee Stoke want.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Sky Sports say we're not interested in Butland any longer due to the transfer fee Stoke want.

Also saying Butland has said he wants to leave and that Bournemouth also have said they will not meet Stoke's fee.

If in a few weeks Stoke have an unhappy player who does not want to be in the Championship again (especially considering his international ambitions) maybe they might reconsider the price.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd say after spending £20mil on Mings, a goalkeeper is no longer the priority.

I'd say after spending £20mil on Mings, a goalkeeper is no longer the priority.

Is he going in goal?

Seen a good tweet about Mings, which said, if we’d signed Mings permanently rather than on loan in the first place, there’s no way any of us would want him sold for a 20-25 million offer.

I think that’s a valid point.

• Advertisement

Is he going in goal?

He took a good chunk of the budget I'd say and we've three keepers on the books as it is.

He took a good chunk of the budget I'd say and we've three keepers on the books as it is.

Nyland a disaster, Steer unproven, Kalinic could be decent but it's a gamble to hope he will be.
    They'd like to get somebody I reckon but possibly can't afford the standard they've been looking at.

Hegazi being linked in a few places. Remember him being alright in the PL but he was an absolute monster in the 2 Play Off games against us.

Hegazi being linked in a few places. Remember him being alright in the PL but he was an absolute monster in the 2 Play Off games against us.

Yeah no thanks. I’d take the Cahill link ahead of that one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement