Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vistakon, Limerick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Whats the money like and do they still break your contract so you dont get permenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Well I started there at the end of March. Handed in my notice a few weeks ago and finished on monday. The long hours don't suit me at all. 12 hour shifts and every 2nd weekend is a 3 day straight stint. 1 month of nights and then a month of days. On nights your whole month is written off. Its tough on the body and mind. It's a good job most of the lads I worked with were sound.

was it production line? what did you're job involve?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

If your not an engineer of some type your best bet is to apply to CPL on steamboat quay in city. 11 month contract, 6 month break then another 11 month contract

Money is excellent. Horrible, horrible place to work through where bullying is the norm. Depending which area you work, some of it can be very tough, like the reprocessing rig and the 90 pack area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Are we talking about over 2k a month after taxes?
    jacksie66 wrote: »
    Money was savage. I was hired as a permanent with vistakon themselves. Its the outsourced recruitment agency lads who are let go after 11 months. I was on a 6 month probation but realised it wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they're looking for 30 process technicians at the moment...........is it still a dodgy place to work??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 still queueing

fryup wrote: »
    they're looking for 30 process technicians at the moment...........is it still a dodgy place to work??

Yes !
    It will never change.
    They are going over to Romania again to try get people who haven't of Vistakon.
    It's a sad state where they can't fill positions with Irish / local people because of the reputation they have earned for themselves.
    What it needs is a big clean out right from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yes !
    It will never change.
    It's a sad state where they can't fill positions with Irish / local people because of the reputation they have earned for themselves.
    Is it really that bad? I often heard about dell hell and having worked there it honestly wasn't bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Mc Love wrote: »
    Is it really that bad? I often heard about dell hell and having worked there it honestly wasn't bad at all.

I worked there briefly. Money is **** for the shift work you do. Some of the permanent staff aren't at all nice or helpful.

You're basically a 2nd class citizen if you're contracted in with them. It's grand for young people starting out though.

Yes !
    It will never change.
    This is a load of bollox

This is a load of bollox

They did do a recruitment drive in Poland around 2006. No one wanted to do the shift work back then for the **** money. Hasn't improved.

They do give 11 month contracts now and if you stick with it you get a max of 22 months contracted in. They'll either keep you or be let go.

The amount of staff turnover is ridiculous. It's basically a revolving door in there with the 2 main recruitment agencies they have looking for employees for them. The hire roughly once a month and sometimes every 2 weeks.

slag them if you will....

...but at least they had the decency to email to let me know i didn't get a production technician position, they also went into detail why

most companies out there wouldn't bother:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Are they hiring Process Techs at the moment anyone know ? Directly, not through CPL.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

they were about a month ago through indeed.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Absolutely a dreadful place to work ..it is easily the worst place i have ever worked in my life ..bullying encouraged by management ..standing in the one position with wire poking bits of plastic around ..
    I starting with 20 people after 2 months i was the last one left ..i was gone shortly after

Mc Love wrote: »

Ah believe me this place is a different league altogether dreadful

..standing in the one position with wire poking bits of plastic around

:confused:

i'm intrigued ..what was your job title operative/technican?

and what exactly did it involve?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

..standing in the one position with wire poking bits of plastic around

:confused:

i'm intrigued ..what was your job title operative/technican?

and what exactly did it involve?

He's referring to unblocking a clog of contact lenses/moulds on the manufacturing line

• Advertisement

Yes basically you stand there unblocking the assembly line for 12 hours ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Absolutely a dreadful place to work ..it is easily the worst place i have ever worked in my life ..bullying encouraged by management ..standing in the one position with wire poking bits of plastic around ..
    I starting with 20 people after 2 months i was the last one left ..i was gone shortly after

I was there about 10 years ago as a "process technician" poking those bits of plastic around.

The bullying culture was the main reason I decided that I wouldn't stay there.

The main reason why the job didn't suit me as I would focus too much on one part of the line and be oblivious to issues happening at other parts. (I also found it boring as it wasn't exactly mentally taxing).

The large amount of irrelevant documentation to read and "sign" didn't help, some of it of course was useful but I remember having to read and sign some document about ordering stuff (as a process tech I was not going to be ordering anything)

Perhaps if I had stayed I would have progressed to more skilled work, but I didn't think the place was worth spending too much of my life there and those that had become more proficient seemed to have to spend their day running to different lines but then having to return to plastic flicking afterwards.
    Having said that some of them were just parts swappers who knew which part had failed previously and would quickly swap out the part without really checking it much.

My only regret is that when I was there I didn't stay just long enough to avail of a robotics course that was almost offered to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I have a close family member working in vistakon happily for 3 years now and told him about this thread.

his response was it depends on what line you work on, most of the line leaders are good guys but others then are absolute b&*%ards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm surprised that any multi national company locates assembly line work in high wage locations like Ireland. I thought all that type of unskilled work (as described above) had been located to much lower cost locations like South East Asia/India etc where they can pay staff a fraction of the cost they'd need to pay Irish employees.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

low corporate tax?

how about those other pharma/med companies Teleflex, Cook medical, Regeneron, Edward Scientific are they any better to work for??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭chicorytip

ongarboy wrote:
    I'm surprised that any multi national company locates assembly line work in high wage locations like Ireland. I thought all that type of unskilled work (as described above) had been located to much lower cost locations like South East Asia/India etc where they can pay staff a fraction of the cost they'd need to pay Irish employees.

Just give them time. They will be gone in ten years time. Maximising profit is the sole priority of these kind of businesses. High labour costs are detrimental to achieving that objective and the cost of employing people in Ireland is high. Corporation tax may well be increased to bring us near the european average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

ongarboy wrote: »

It seems that the Buyers would prefer to avoid the Chinese/Taiwan, etc Factories for Pharma products. Probably two reasons for this;
    (a) it's not really their money they are spending, so cost isn't really an issue.

(b) most Pharma buyers aren't quite comfortable purchasing products produced in Asia......yet.

This really seems to apply to the Pharma industry only. Everyone is quite happy to buy a Dell PC (for example) manufactured in China.

Also a lot of the Pharma stuff needs to be licenced etc. This is probably easier if the product is manufactured in certain Countries

anyone work in the warehouse out there?? would that be easier than the factory floor?

anyone work in the warehouse out there?? would that be easier than the factory floor?

Money is even worse there. Agaun it depends on who you're working with in there. When I worked there lads came in on a Sunday 6-2 just to take home a half decent wage.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^

but its less stressful than the production line...yes?

Advertisement