Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RCBO burned out in Rolec charge point

Options
  • 04-07-2019 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭

I've just added myself to this illustrious list of people who have the RCBO burn out on their Rolec

https://www.speakev.com/threads/rolec-charger-dangerous.37841/post-2658632

Got up to a partially charged car this morning. Switch in the charge point had tripped. I decided to pop open the unit to take a look inside as I was aware they had a known problem of burn out and sure enough it was.

Neutral cable was slightly melted, plastic at the top of the RCBO was black and deformed. Basically, identical to all the pics in the link above.

Mine is a 32A unit and I have a 6.6kW Leaf and I have the D40 type RCBO in it (bought early 2016). There was some initial thoughts that it was just the B40's were susceptible to this but it seems its any with the blue writing on them (vs green).

Have to get to an electrical store tomorrow and get a decent quality replacement RCBO now.... Garo, Hager, Schneider.... anything but a Rolec.

I'm not at all happy with my Rolec to be honest. I've also had issues with the plastic cracking where the screws go in. The plastic just isnt up to the job.

And I've also had the controller replaced (albeit under warranty).

The alternative EVSE's are not cheap but you get what you pay for!

I know there are plenty who have had no issues but there are plenty who have and Rolec dont appear too concerned about it!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sorry for your troubles, I guess you knew it was likely to happen at some point.

Irish consumers are well protected though. It would be my view that you could expect an EVSE to last for more than 3 years. How long the warranty on it is, is irrelevant for the Irish law. Your unit burnt out (well the built in RCBO did). I wouldn't be too happy to replace any parts, I would want a new unit or a refund.

I would contact Rolec, explain in a friendly but persistent manner that you expect Rolec to fix the unit, replace it or refund you (by law it's their choice). If you get nowhere, demand to speak to a manager, explaining the Irish Sale of Goods Act. If that still gets you nowhere, start sending emails. Eventually threatening with the small claims court. Still nowhere, start a SCC procedure (this costs nothing until your case gets approved and you actually go ahead with it). Once the SCC claim gets approved to proceed, notify Rolec. Very likely they'll cough up straight away. I've been to that stage twice. And should the case proceed, it costs you €25 and almost certainly it will go in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Does that law apply if you bought it via a UK supplier?

Either way, I’m not sure I’d be willing to spend the time chasing them as they will likely send me their own part (which I definitely do not want) and they would then be able to say they have adhered to that law.

I don’t want this thing melting again on the wall of my house for the price of a quality RCBO (~€30)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Do rolec really build their own RCBOs? If not maybe the wiring inside the unit is just too thin. A LEAF with 6.6 uses about 27/28A so well below the rated current of 40A of the RCBO.

samih wrote: »
    Do rolec really build their own RCBOs? If not maybe the wiring inside the unit is just too thin. A LEAF with 6.6 uses about 27/28A so well below the rated current of 40A of the RCBO.

Apparently cheap chinese stuff with a rolec badge on it. I'm going to bust it open once I've it out to take a look inside.

When I put the power back on and had it charging for about 5-10mins the RCBO got red hot pretty much straight away. Needless to say I didnt use it last night!

Hager RCBO going in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭D Dastardly

Hmm mine is a 32a rolec unit also bought feb 2019 and i have a 3.6kw leaf, maybe I should whip the cover off and take a look inside.

• Advertisement

Hmm mine is a 32a rolec unit also bought feb 2019 and i have a 3.6kw leaf, maybe I should whip the cover off and take a look inside.

I’d hope they sorted out this quality issue since 2016 so you should be ok.

Is the writing on the trip switch at the front a green colour(you don’t need to open it up to see that)? They seem to be more reliable but not 100% guarantee either.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭D Dastardly

Yeah mine is green, I was going to take a look inside anyway post-install to check that everything was nice and tight, I am not a qualified electrician, but I am not a disqualified one either ;-DD

I did noticed that the case screws are really tight and can easily be stripped, you need to be really carefull when taking off the cover.

Advertisement