Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rigid truck

Options
  • 24-08-2015 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All I am looking to book my driving test for a rigid truck ether in athlone or longford I am from cavan but heard it is really hard to pass in cavan & was advised to take it in Athlon or longford can anybody tell me which is best?? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I passed my C+E test (rigid + trailer) in Athlone last July and found the route to be fine (passed first time, no truck driving experience since C test in 2003).

I used 'A Clear Steer' school of motoring. Sound instructor to deal with. (He's also a former Dept of Transport Tester so knows his stuff!). I travelled 2.5 hours to Athlone to take the lessons and test. (No C+E combo was available in the south east area).

Link - http://www.dlb.ie/AClearSteer-Driver-Training

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stevie147

Does anyone here know what's involved exactly in the Cpc walkaround test on day of your driving test? I asked my instructor today and he told me he doesn't do that but said he would email me info! Can anyone offer anyone advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Stevie147 wrote: »
    Does anyone here know what's involved exactly in the Cpc walkaround test on day of your driving test? I asked my instructor today and he told me he doesn't do that but said he would email me info! Can anyone offer anyone advice

For mine I started at the drivers door:

Checked steps
    Under the wheel arch for contraband
    Tyres for cracks/bulges/abrasions
    Wheel nuts are not broken/loose, wheel but indicators are a sign they are loose if not pointed correctly towards each other.
    Mirrors clean and not damaged
    Glass not cracked or broken
    Number plates are legal
    Headlights are not damaged/bulbs working
    Tax/insurance/cvrt/ operators licence or applicable
    Wiper blades are in good clean working order
    Windscreen was her bottles topped up
    How do you check you oil/coolant/power steering fluid (under bonnet checks)
    What is the tyre pressure meant to be
    Cyclops mirrors
    Check your load
    Check under the body for illegals who may strap themselves to the body
    Check the curtains to ensure they aren’t slashed

In cab I was asked to demonstrate my knowledge of secondary controls such as dipped beam/high beam/hazard lights
    What happens if the buzzer goes off in the cab
    What should your air pressure be
    Hand signals
    What exercises would you do before commencing your shift
    Tachograph regulations

This is what I remember being asked on mine. Once I got to the passenger side of the cab he heard enough, the majority was descriptive only.

You done well to remember all of that because I don't think I would! With the actual driving test can you remember what way it goes?

By the way, did your intructor prepare you or give you any info on the walkaround?? How long ago was your test and how many lessons did you need?

Checked steps
    Wheel nuts are not broken/loose, wheel but indicators are a sign they are loose if not pointed correctly towards each other.
    Number plates are legal
    Cyclops mirrors
    Check your load

In cab I was asked to demonstrate my knowledge of secondary controls such as dipped beam/high beam/hazard lights
    Hand signals
    Tachograph regulations

This is what I remember being asked on mine. Once I got to the passenger side of the cab he heard enough, the majority was descriptive only.[/quote]

You done well to remember all of that because I don't think I would! With the actual driving test can you remember what way it goes?

By the way, did your intructor prepare you or give you any info on the walkaround?? How long ago was your test and how many lessons did you need?

Checked steps
    Number plates are legal
    Cyclops mirrors
    Check your load

Hand signals
    Tachograph regulations

This is what I remember being asked on mine. Once I got to the passenger side of the cab he heard enough, the majority was descriptive only.
    [/quote]

The driving test lasted 55 minutes,the main areas were mirrors and general observation as it’s s bigger vehicle than what one is normally used to.

My instructor gave me a few sheets on the exact specifications of the truck and what I had to learn, I did 11 lessons at 2 hours per lesson. The entire thing was funded by FAS but I did the bus a few short months later and mirrored it all, cost €3000 for everything down to the cost of photos for the licence.

BTW learn the rules of the road!!!

• Advertisement

The driving test lasted 55 minutes,the main areas were mirrors and general observation as it’s s bigger vehicle than what one is normally used to.

My instructor gave me a few sheets on the exact specifications of the truck and what I had to learn, I did 11 lessons at 2 hours per lesson. The entire thing was funded by FAS but I did the bus a few short months later and mirrored it all, cost €3000 for everything down to the cost of photos for the licence.

BTW learn the rules of the road!!![/quote]

Yes I've booked 8 lessons, they are 1.5hour per lesson and cost €700!! I tried to look for one that was funded but couldn't find anything closeby.

I really don't mind paying for 2-3 more lessons on top of that if it means it give me better chance passing first time because its mad expensive the first time. I've not driven a rigid before so hoping I can get through the test with 10 lessons

BTW learn the rules of the road!!![/quote]

Yes I've booked 8 lessons, they are 1.5hour per lesson and cost €700!! I tried to look for one that was funded but couldn't find anything closeby.

I really don't mind paying for 2-3 more lessons on top of that if it means it give me better chance passing first time because its mad expensive the first time. I've not driven a rigid before so hoping I can get through the test with 10 lessons

BTW learn the rules of the road!!!
    [/quote]

There’s loads of those courses nationwide, location isn’t ideal for everyone such as yourself. Only 1.5 hours? Each lesson I’ve ever had was 2 hours. I forked our for extra lessons for the artic on top of my FAS allocation to help me pass, it worked.

There was always a time where someone drive something for the first time, I’m no different. When I drive a rigid for the first time 2 things caught me out, the length when turning a corner and how sharp the air brakes are compared to a car, I applied the brakes the same way I did in s car, the (30+ stone) instructor ended up hitting the dash of his 1997 Volvo FL6.

Don’t overthink it, relax and enjoy the ride, literally :)

Advertisement