Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

sydthebeat wrote: »
    seriously???

have you not seen the absolute cliff-fall decline in church going?
    have you not seen the over whelming ass kicking those conservative views have gotten in recent referendums?

there is a serious ground swell, in this country at least, against those conservative views... especially among the older age group that would be considered most conservative.

the church in its current guise is dying a death here in ireland

I'll reply in the off-topic thread per Mod instruction.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Was out in O'Neill's factory shop on the long mile road earlier and was surprised to find a load of Brumbies gear. The tops are far better than the rubbish Adidas have been churning out for Leinster and Munster of late. Would be nice to see one of the provinces go with the Irish brand. I assume Adidas are paying to make the tops, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

at a certain point it’s just funny

Hilarious but quite harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Hilarious but quite harsh.

Not all all, them's the rules. For a person who follows arbitrary rules on how to live his life he doesn't seem great at reading the ts and cs.

This is the same situation as Diageo/Jackson. GoFundMe just didn't want the bad association. Nobody cared about the T&C when everyone thought it would flop.

But becoming big news and closing in on a million dollarydoos after less than a week, that wasn't going to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They’ll get the money, gofundme aren’t the only option.

It may not be as much but if he doesn’t want to pay his legal fees he won’t have to, this will martyr him on the Bible Belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There was no obligation for him to spend the money on the legal fees anyway. He could as easily pocket it and say "oh, it didn't cost that much, this is going to my 'church' now".

Read a twitter thread about it earlier. It had slowed after around 300k but then a few significant donors came in and put up larger sums.

It's also come out over the weekend that Folau has 4-5 million in property and that this fund can be used for whatever he wants, not just legal fees which is going to hit donations or re-donations at this point.

I called it harsh because he won't get anything raised so far, people are entitled to waste their money if they wish - seems unfair to cancel after so much was raised.

• Advertisement

Read a twitter thread about it earlier. It had slowed after around 300k but then a few significant donors came in and put up larger sums.

It's also come out over the weekend that Folau has 4-5 million in property and that this fund can be used for whatever he wants, not just legal fees which is going to hit donations or re-donations at this point.

I called it harsh because he won't get anything raised so far, people are entitled to waste their money if they wish - seems unfair to cancel after so much was raised.

Up to platform to decide if he breaches rules though. Were all those people fully aware that he wasn't obliged to spend it on legal fund before giving? Or about the property? Wouldn't be the first case of platform cancelling after significant sum was raised. Not his until received and even then with legal action would imagine there would be some mechanism to claw some of it back. He'll probably start another drive and get people to donate again anyways

There was no obligation for him to spend the money on the legal fees anyway. He could as easily pocket it and say "oh, it didn't cost that much, this is going to my 'church' now".

This is the case for all crowdfunding.

People just want to think Folau will rip his supporters off, gives them even more reason to hate him and even more reason to feel better about themselves.

People just want to think Folau will rip his supporters off, gives them even more reason to hate him and even more reason to feel better about themselves.

Nah, the guy has been hypocritical and inconsistent with the application of his beliefs, he's just another bigot.

And religions and religious preachers are known the world over for ripping people off. Look at the superchurches in America, "god needs me to have another plane".

I think the shoe fits. I still think it's unreasonable to allow a fund get so far and then hit the reset switch, he'll never recover the same amount again. I think him being treated with distrust and disdain is otherwise justified.

Yes but now many other cases are about raising legal feels after being terminated by employer? And how many people have significant property portfolios? Nobody knows what he would do but I can see why people are skeptical. The platforms statement attributed it to not supporting discriminatory campaigns as is their prerogative. You're free to give him the benefit of the doubt but I can see why people aren't as generous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Bazzo wrote: »
    God will provide.

Isn't that almost exactly what he said when he turned down the "go away" money offer from the ARU?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Reported leak of the All Blacks RWC jersey.

w0pmw49c09631.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Looks like a Ted Baker tshirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

w0pmw49c09631.jpg

Bit too much black for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The real question is whether Folau is going to crowdfund a legal campaign against gofundme for discriminating against him because of his religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

w0pmw49c09631.jpg

Looks more like a training top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ferris joining the Luke Fitzgerald camp here.

."Maybe slightly for me, there’s too much of an English feel around this Irish team at the minute," he said.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Ferris joining the Luke Fitzgerald camp here.

Yeah that's nonsense considering the coaches leaving the setup were New Zealanders and he never raised his concern before that. Other than Catt and Farrell, unless he's counting Easterby in the 'English' camp, he's definitely just stirring the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah that's nonsense considering the coaches leaving the setup were New Zealanders and he never raised his concern before that. Other than Catt and Farrell, unless he's counting Easterby in the 'English' camp, he's definitely just stirring the pot.

Sure Catt's not even English anyway 🙂

I think the shoe fits. I still think it's unreasonable to allow a fund get so far and then hit the reset switch, he'll never recover the same amount again. I think him being treated with distrust and disdain is otherwise justified.

New fundraiser has passed $1.4 million dollars...

The Australian Christian Lobby one will definitely keep jumping up, primarily because there's complete anonymity to the public in terms of donation amounts.

I mean the largest donation he got for the gofundme one was 10k, the ACL alone donated 100k to start it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Hardly surprising in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's no bad thing for the law to be tested in this instance anyway. Might hit Australian rugby a little if they lose the case, but if Folou wins or loses it will end up clarifying a changing piece of jurisprudence in Australia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

The other side of the argument will keep moving the goal posts. Just watch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭deezell

w0pmw49c09631.jpg

It's...it's all...Black? Look well on a girl though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement