Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food Places You'd Like To Try That Ireland Doesn't Have

2»

Comments

Some of those Vienna cafés would be lovely. Sachertorte, anybody?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

One I should have put that's gradually going in the UK and still popular for South Africa is Wimpy.

Don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a Wimpy in either Ashford or Rathnew in Wicklow (can't remember which), and I vaguely remember someone telling me that there was one in Fermoy. They used to be more common in Ireland in the 60s/70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I live in the US, and am insanely jealous that any of you can just wander down to your local Italian chipper for a battered sausage and good thick chips smothered in salt and vinegar. One of the things I miss most along with Brennans (or any kind of edible) bread. But I do know that the grass is always greener and all that.

Of whats been mentioned so far, Steak N'Shake is the only one I'd say that is really tasty and worth it. Carls Jr, Sonic and to a lesser extent, Wendy's, are all cheap and nasty fast food. Wouldn't go into any of them sober. Taco Bell is decent too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mariaalice wrote: »
    I had easily the vilest meal of my life in an American franchise Mexican resturant in the UK so I would be wary of a lot of franchise beyond the McD type.

Taco Bell in Manchester is awful ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Some of those Vienna cafés would be lovely. Sachertorte, anybody?

Only when it comes with those stupid prices and the rude waiters in tuxes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭AuldDaysul

Frankie And Benny's/Chiquito's (UK & Northern Ireland)
    Why in the name of all things holy is Toby f*cking Carvery in that poll?
    I wouldn't feed my dog in one of those, let alone myself.

Toby is the only one on the list I'd like to see open here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Carls Jr (USA)
    Out of the American fast food options in the poll - Taco Bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Cheesecake Factory. For the grotesque portions of food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

None
    All of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

AuldDaysul wrote: »
    Toby is the only one on the list I'd like to see open here!

The majority of normal Irish pubs that I've experienced would do a better carvery tbh. Might be good for competition though.

One that's over here that I'm a bit surprised is not in Ireland yet is Harvester. Now it's not great (better than F&Bs from the poll, which in my mind is it's main competitor, cheaper and better than TGIs imo) but for a good feed that's inexpensive, it's probably my first choice for a family fill when out and about although some of the restaurants themselves are better/cleaner than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Olive Garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

Zaph wrote: »
    Don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a Wimpy in either Ashford or Rathnew in Wicklow (can't remember which), and I vaguely remember someone telling me that there was one in Fermoy. They used to be more common in Ireland in the 60s/70s.

The Rathnew Wimpy shut a few years ago.
    The Fermoy one isn't actually official. They did do a makeover to make it look more like a proper Wimpy, but they don't even do Benders in a Bun. Or a Shanty Brunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Hooters (USA & Nottingham Only UK)
    The Rathnew Wimpy shut a few years ago.
    The Fermoy one isn't actually official. They did do a makeover to make it look more like a proper Wimpy, but they don't even do Benders in a Bun. Or a Shanty Brunch.

There were a few Wimpys located in Applegreen garages I think the one on the Naas Road near Rathcoole used to have one before they changed it to Burger King

Advertisement