Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-06-2019, 11:17   #31
benny79

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulos53 View Post
Typo on the long drive hole?
Isn't the 4th the hole with a stream crossing the fairway at about 220 yards from the tee?
Yes.. thats why its longest drive. Spice it up a bit
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-06-2019, 12:00   #32
spacecoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny79 View Post
Yes.. thats why its longest drive. Spice it up a bit
Seems a bit crazy that early in a round though? I know its a society outing, but if I was standing on that same hole & it was the 16th, with not much of score going, I'd let rip at that, but I'd rather not dump a ball in the water on the 4th hole & potentially having to chase to get back a score early on.
14-06-2019, 12:02   #33
paulos53

Definitely makes the LD more interesting

Still my money will be on a 5 iron off the tee to win it
(3) thanks from:
14-06-2019, 12:55   #34
benny79

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoyote View Post
Seems a bit crazy that early in a round though? I know its a society outing, but if I was standing on that same hole & it was the 16th, with not much of score going, I'd let rip at that, but I'd rather not dump a ball in the water on the 4th hole & potentially having to chase to get back a score early on.
Dont go for it then ahem... bottler...

Its to give the not so big hitters a chance.
(3) thanks from:
14-06-2019, 13:31   #35
spacecoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny79 View Post
Dont go for it then ahem... bottler...

I'll happily take that title...if I pick up a prize elsewhere on the day

Bottler, as well as just not being a long enough driver to take it on with any confidence.

Looks to be about a 200yrd carry from the Red Tee Box, so I'll stick my money on Poppy & OffalyMedic (no pressure guys )
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-06-2019, 14:27   #36
benny79

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoyote View Post

I'll happily take that title...if I pick up a prize elsewhere on the day

Bottler, as well as just not being a long enough driver to take it on with any confidence.

Looks to be about a 200yrd carry from the Red Tee Box, so I'll stick my money on Poppy & OffalyMedic (no pressure guys )
I'll stick my money on someone hitting a iron off the Tee and being short of the water on the fairway
14-06-2019, 21:25   #37
a post punk

I only hit my driver 210 lads so I’ll take it
Thanks from:
14-06-2019, 23:09   #38
princess poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a post punk View Post
I only hit my driver 210 lads so I’ll take it
Will be keeping a close eye on you so
Thanks from:
15-06-2019, 20:23   #39
benny79

Results from today

1st - Office Medic 37pts

2nd - Brian Rossiter 37pts

3rd - Slave1 36pts

NP - Macker1

LD - Pakman

2's

Macker1 x2

Asmo1

Hope you all enjoyed the day.

See you all at the next outing Castleknock Golf Club on 20th July.

Regards

Benny79
Advertisement
15-06-2019, 22:22   #40
OffalyMedic

Offaly

Will do a better post later but delighted to get my first boards win today in thurles. Great course, lovely weather and good company could go wrong!

Won't make castleknock as I have a camogie match in Kerry but hope to see everyone again in August
15-06-2019, 22:42   #41
Golfgraffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffalyMedic View Post
Offaly

Will do a better post later but delighted to get my first boards win today in thurles. Great course, lovely weather and good company could go wrong!

Won't make castleknock as I have a camogie match in
Kerry but hope to see everyone again in August
Well done, you kept it together really well. The good holes were really good and the ones you got out of shape (not many) you ground out a score. Solid golf
(2) thanks from:
16-06-2019, 12:36   #42
slave1

Mod: Golf, ZTest
Played Coollattin on Thursday and couldn't get onto a fairway off the tee, irons spaying everywhere and short putts 50/50 so had zero expectations.
Super weather and company with Kilth and Break80 and the funny game that is golf turned around.
Still prefer the front 9 to the - relatively- plain back 9.
Thanks again to those organising and hopefully should be okay for Castleknock but will likely miss Carlow...
(2) thanks from:
16-06-2019, 20:50   #43
a post punk

Congratulations to Offaly medic for a first win, well deserved for a regular boardsie
Thanks to princess poppy and os_head and captain Benny for the round yesterday. I think poppy had a very steady day just to scratch the last , os _head will see his handicap tumble I’m sure over the summer as he has a great game only for a few errant shots. He hit a few great shots out of the bunkers to tap in putting distance.
My own day wasn’t all that bad and a big improvement on the last 2 outings. Unfortunately I scratched the first and 3rd which killed my chances of scoring in the 30’s and 1 other hole aswell the 15th I think!
See ye all in Carlow as I won’t make the next outing.
PP
(3) thanks from:
16-06-2019, 21:19   #44
spacecoyote

Just to reiterate the congratulations to OffalyMedic. She's come close on a number of occasions, so great to see her close one out!

Had an OK round myself, 32 points. 19 out, with a scratch on the nearest he pin hole, 13 back, with a run of too many 1 pointers. Had a mini-dose of the shanks for the 2nd & 3rd holes (well timed when a price was available on the hole, though I don't think I'd have gotten inside Macker's effort too easily)

Thurles was a lovely course. Hadnt played it before. There are some beautiful holes that are really nicely laid out. One crazy green, on the par 3 5th might be my only complaint, though that might be more down to pin position than the actual green.

Had the pleasure of Rainbow Warrior & NewInDublin for company. Two absolute gents. As rainbow said on the 17th...are we here already, time flies in good company!

NewInDublin didn't have his best day. Has serious power & hit some cracking drives (unfortunately a couple were 2nd drives ). Also plays some really nice chips that have some serious spin which I wish I could hit. Struggled with the irons & putter, which you cant get away with in Thurles.

Rainbow Warrior played his game down on the first tee box, way more than he should. Hes a man on the way down & I can see why. Was very steady off the tee & found a lot of fairways, and also played a few lovely little bump'n'runs around the green. Was unlucky not to hole a couple of them.

All in all, a great day out again. Wont make Castleknock as I'm away, but looking forward to Carlow, which was a cracker from memories of the last boards outing there.
(3) thanks from:
17-06-2019, 09:25   #45
pakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffalyMedic View Post
Offaly

Won't make castleknock as I have a camogie match in Kerry but hope to see everyone again in August
Great win and well deserved. First time playing together but the way you hit the ball I'm betting there's more coming. Sure next time I'm drawn against you I might as well go home

Course was another great choice and happy to get a respectable score myself to make up for a few stinkers. Good company makes it enjoyable regardless even if Golfgraffix had to shoot off early.

Getting the longest drive with my safe lay-up was the highlight
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion