Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League Final Totteham V Liverpool -Saturday 1st June - VM 1/BT Sport 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Terrible match.

Both teams were very poor, but Liverpool took their chances when they had them.

Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Lads go get fcking rekt. If pool fans are posting later on yous are the real losers :pac:

Enjoy gents!

Lol, If Rangers won a European final, you wouldn't see me for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

At least the forum wont be razed to the ground post match this year so thats something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Delighted for Liverpool and for Klopp.

Awful game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Predictable borefest. Liverpool were awful. They went a goal up early and then hoofed the ball to keep Spurs at arms length. Spurs who should never have been there but for outrageous luck v Man City and Ajax weren’t good enough to lay a glove on them. Desperate Final, one of the poorest ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Strange strange final. The goal so early on warped the whole thing. Liverpool played a lot less football than they would have, were more defensive than they would have been, so a few of their players like Firmino, Wijnaldum, even Salah, didn't do that much. Even at 1-0 up, I thought they were surprisingly defensive and reluctant to counter considering their resources in attack. Defensively excellent though. Van Dijk was immense, and utterly calm as well. Matip did well, Fabinho too, as did both fullbacks.

Spurs had a lot more of the game than they otherwise would, dominated most of the second half really, but didn't fashion even one real chance until about 15 minutes to go. which just isn't good enough. Kane, Alli, Eriksen were all poor up front.

Disappointing final to be honest. For this neutral, my main thought is the question about what might have been, had the whole match not changed so early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

To Divock Origi

tenor.gif?itemid=4968995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Both clubs heading in the right direction for sure, unlike others I could name.
    Hear, hear.

Spurs and Pochetino deserve a serious amount of credit.

Congrats lads

Well deserved

Enjoy the night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Congrats pool.
    It was a terrible final. As someone earlier said a win is a win.

Something that was said to me by a uefa official was that they hate the fact english teams get to the final I asked why and the whole feeling in Europe is that the quality of english teams are terrible compared to other european teams.

English teams and most of the players are just not rated in europe been an eye opener to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Berserker wrote: »
    Not good enough. Time for Poch to head for OT if he wants to play with the big boys. Spurs were happy to make that final. The semi was their final.

Stop with this nonsense please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hopefully they schedule the final game of the PL season better cos it'll be Liverpool v Man City Man Utd next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Turgid game. Pleased about that second goal if only for the fact that it would have been a shame to see a final decided by that joke penalty decision.

Even as a Utd fan I can't begrudge Liverpool that win. They have been great to watch this season and Klopp is a stand up bloke. Congrats and enjoy tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Ajax would have tore liverpool apart tonight and likewise barca wouldve tore spurs apart

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Poch will be sickened but he will be very dangerous with a solid transfer budget. Won't be a two horse race for the PL next season. City, Tottenham and Liverpool at the top of their game. Long may it continue

He has not signed a player since Moura in January 2018. Not his fault of course. Needs the backing now he has to leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,500 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Berserker wrote: »
    Lol, If Rangers won a European final, you wouldn't see me for a week.

You wouldn’t be let back in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,368 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I was happy to see either side win but Klopp deserves it. Turned the team into one of the best in Europe in the space of 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

As a neutral - Awful game to watch. On the night Spurs were the better side I thought and deserved more but given the events over the entire season I'm happy that Liverpool won it as while poor tonight they generally have been excellent this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Who gives a monkeys? Champions of Europe, that's all that matters. Woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ian Rush with Big Ears :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Tippex wrote: »
    Ajax would have tore liverpool apart tonight and likewise barca wouldve tore spurs apart

But they were sitting at home after being torn apart in the second leg of their semi finals. So its irrelevant.

Congrats pool.
    It was a terrible final. As someone earlier said a win is a win.

Something that was said to me by a uefa official was that they hate the fact english teams get to the final I asked why and the whole feeling in Europe is that the quality of english teams are terrible compared to other european teams.

English teams and most of the players are just not rated in europe been an eye opener to me.

When Ireland play like Liverpool did tonight they get slagged off endlessly on here. Liverpool booted the ball long all night safe in their minds that Spurs wouldn’t have the quality or belief to lay a glove on them. That late last gasp goal for Spurs v Ajax robbed us neutrals of a possibly decent Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Seeing Alli's face makes winning even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Ah Jesus lads,that was an uncomfortable 2-0 win as we ever had,poor game but it's no.6. Poch gets money the Spurs r here for the long haul

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Oat23 wrote: »
    I was happy to see either side win but Klopp deserves it. Turned the team into one of the best in Europe in the space of 3 seasons.

Delighted for Klopp, been a big fan of his since he was at Dortmund. His record in finals isn't a proper reflection of how good a manager he is.

But they were sitting at home after being torn apart in the second leg of their semi finals. So its irrelevant.
    They weren’t torn apart at all. It was a travesty that Spurs got to the Final. They should never have been there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yet they lost in their respective semis so doesn't really matter. Barcelona in particular went out with a whimper in the second leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

TheCitizen wrote: »
    When Ireland play like Liverpool did tonight they get slagged off endlessly on here.

Problem is there’s never a trophy at stake when the national team are booting it long.

Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Aidric wrote: »
    Turgid game. Pleased about that second goal if only for the fact that it would have been a shame to see a final decided by that joke penalty decision.

Even as a Utd fan I can't begrudge Liverpool that win. They have been great to watch this season and Klopp is a stand up bloke. Congrats and enjoy tonight.

On the night they were second best but I agree over two seasons they have been superb. 2 CL finals and a league points record coming in second that would win most seasons.

I actually thought winning ugly was a a weakness in Kloppd locker. As much as his football is great to watch he’s lost so many finals cause his teams have lacked that ugly ability to grind out a win like tonight.

I’m not happy for Liverpool, I won’t offer any fake platitudes, I didn’t want them to win. But I don’t begrudge them. I think they are a top club , run really well , with a top coach, a top team and they play football the right way. Well done Liverpool tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

They weren’t torn apart at all. It was a travesty that Spurs got to the Final. They should never have been there

But they were there. Get over it, Mr. Souness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Good trophy lift!

Noveight wrote: »
    Problem is there’s never a trophy at stake when the national team are booting it long.

Ever.

How does that change what I said

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

An Irishman gets his hands on the cup.

https://twitter.com/ballsdotie/status/1134930847788916737

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Zaph wrote: »
    Delighted for Klopp, been a big fan of his since he was at Dortmund. His record in finals isn't a proper reflection of how good a manager he is.

I think it is. Liverpool were awful tonight, and were lucky that Spurs were also awful.

He's lost so many finals, because his teams aren't prepared properly for them.

Clearly a great man manager though, as his players all seem to always want to give their all for him.

But they were there. Get over it, Mr. Souness.

They’ll never be there again. Ever. Thank fúck for the rest of us.

An Irishman gets his hands on the cup.

The lad hasn't even got a wikipedia page but has the same number of CL medals as Neymar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He has not signed a player since Moura in January 2018. Not his fault of course. Needs the backing now he has to leave

I think he is overrated as a manager. You will only ever prove yourself by winning a major honour. Pocchettino has yet to do so. This Tottenham team always seem to fall at the final hurdle. It's down to lack of self belief and not having the right mentality rather than not having good enough players. Klopp has succeeded by instilling these qualities into this team. Champions of Europe - that's some consolation prize after missing out on domestic glory.

giphy.gif

LOL. They won’t be back. The luck they got to get there will never happen again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Moreno's shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

How does that change what I said

You’ll find the Irish team hoofing it under any circumstance. A goal up, a goal down, 5 minutes gone, 5 minutes left. Completely and utterly purposeless.

Lead was there to protect tonight, not pretty football but got the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If Spurs had a cutting edge, they would have won.

Too much intricate passing and no final product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How they laughed
    klopp.jpg

LOL. They won’t be back. The luck they got to get there will never happen again

I don't have any trouble believing they might not get to another CL final. Historically they are an average side at best.

However I don't understand how you can say they were lucky to get there this season. They deserved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How they laughed
    klopp.jpg

?

How in the jaysus did this match lead to winning the CL?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Klopp is hilarious!!! What a manager and what a character!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

How they laughed
    klopp.jpg

Still chuckled at this.

Jordan Ibe was a crucial part of tonight alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Terrible penalty decision set the tone for a terrible final, worst final since that AC Milan victory over Juve in 03

Irrespective of tonights match and whatever level of fortune you can attribute for Liverpool winning it Klopp has done a tremendous job for that club and that trophy is vindication of his outstanding performance

I don't have any trouble believing they might not get to another CL final. Historically they are an average side at best.

However I don't understand how you can say they were lucky to get there this season. They deserved it.

No I disagree they didn’t. And they won’t be back either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

How they laughed
    klopp.jpg

Thanks for reminding me fella, I needed a bit of cheering up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement