Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Felon.

Great movie never see it mentioned anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Too Late The Hero (1970)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066471/

A WW2 movie set on a Philippine island with one of the most memorable endings ever

Starring: Cliff Robertson, Michael Caine, Denholm Elliot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

dougm1970 wrote: »
    judgement night (1993)

i thought it was great...but its not well known, despite a great cast.

https://youtu.be/MDh3uICKIMc
    Ipso wrote: »
    Wasn’t Trespass out around the same time?

They were out within a year of each other. Hard to believe that some folk think that these films went under the radar though. They were pretty big on video back in the 90's. I think most people around then would remember them.

I like 'Judgement Night', even if it is a little stupid. Never saw 'Trespass' though. But, it's got a decent enough cast and it's a Walter Hill film, so I'll give it a go sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    State of grace.

Not sure if it went under the radar really but it came out in the same year as goodfellas & never got the recognition it deserved.

Penn, Oldman & Ed Harris. Story about the Irish gang in New York.
    Run All Night is almost a beat for beat remake of it, complete with Ed Harris as Irish crime boss also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

ok...heres one.... wild bill. (2012)

please do not watch the trailer though...it portrays it as something it definitely isn't...makes it look like a light hearted comedy based flick...when its actually a solid, gritty, hard, yet emotional story where the acting is top notch.
    i thought it was really good.

"On the surface, Dexter Fletcher's directorial debut offers a familiar Brit-crim vehicle: an ex-con trying to go straight, his former toerag associates dragging him back into the mire.

But Wild Bill proves to have something more under the bonnet, and by the end it's been quite a ride. Charlie Creed-Miles is terrific as Bill, back on his old East End stamping ground after eight years in prison. His missus has done a runner, and Dean (Will Poulter), his older son, is blackmailing him into playing dad so that he and his younger brother won't get taken into care.

Feckless, shiftless and pretty hopeless, Bill has no clue about being a dad, or any other kind of responsible human being – down at his local he's known for "10 pints, two grams and a punch-up" – and now that aspiring gangster Terry (Leo Gregory) has him in his sights there seems scant possibility of escape.

Fletcher has assembled a strong cast, including Olivia Williams and Jaime Winstone as social workers, Andy Serkis as a council-estate Capone and Liz White as a tart with a heart, but it's in the vinegary wit of the script (written by Fletcher and Danny King) that the film most impresses: even the small asides and one-liners have a chuckle in them. The picture of east London (Newham), caught between Olympic regeneration and council squalor, feels grittily authentic. Fletcher, 46 but a screen face since youth, has turned his long experience around cameras to good use."

(independent)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Blue Ruin

No big awards, no big budget, hardly heard of, yet 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. An atypical revenge story of an inept nobody-
    “ A mysterious outsider's quiet life is turned upside down when he returns to his childhood home to carry out an act of vengeance. Proving himself an amateur assassin, he winds up in a brutal fight to protect his estranged family.”
    Slow enough pace, punctuated with violence, it’s a well told heart-felt story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Blue Ruin

No big awards, no big budget, hardly heard of, yet 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. An atypical revenge story of an inept nobody-
    “ A mysterious outsider's quiet life is turned upside down when he returns to his childhood home to carry out an act of vengeance. Proving himself an amateur assassin, he winds up in a brutal fight to protect his estranged family.”

Very visceral. Well worth a watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Blue Ruin

Watched this today, excellent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

I was a big Richard Pryor fan back in the day but his one film that always slipped by me was Moving from 1988. I remember recording it back in the mid 90s late night by accident just after The Terminator and to this day I still have to give it a re watch. Directed by the same guy who done Back to School so one should know what to expect from the kind of slapstick comedies that came out from around that time (even features Rodney Dangerfield in a small cameo).

Definitely not Pryors best but definitely his most underrated, his best movie by far has to be the hugely underrated Blue Collar great movie for anyone who hasn't seen it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

neirbloom wrote: »
    I was a big Richard Pryor fan back in the day but his one film that always slipped by me was Moving from 1988. I remember recording it back in the mid 90s late night by accident just after The Terminator and to this day I still have to give it a re watch. Directed by the same guy who done Back to School so one should know what to expect from the kind of slapstick comedies that came out from around that time (even features Rodney Dangerfield in a small cameo).

Definitely not Pryors best but definitely his most underrated, his best movie by far has to be the hugely underrated Blue Collar great movie for anyone who hasn't seen it.

"I Gave him the wrong goddamn finger!"

Great film!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

"I Gave him the wrong goddamn finger!"

Great film!

I really have to see if I can get Moving anywhere. It must be 30 years since I saw it... I always remember "We're taking it with us!"

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Blue Collar is class, Pryor, Keitel, Yaphet Kotto fighting on all cylinders. Paul Schrader too.

To Blockbusters manager:

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my copy of Blue Collar go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you and watch the tape."

On my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Dope (2015) - A nerdy kid in Inglewood LA, bullied for "acting white" by having a punk band, doing well at school and loving 90's Hip-Hop, balances his Harvard application process with the more criminal pressures of his environment.

Produced by Diddy and Pharrell, but don't let that put you off. A sharp and fun rewriting of the Hood Film with good performances, including ASAP Rocky and Lakeith Stanfield (Sorry to Bother You, Atlanta), and great music. This seems to have been unfairly overshadowed by the NWA hagiography that came out in th same year, which is a pity as it's a far better film. I'd recommend it.

+1 for Blue Collar, though I don't know if you can say it went under the radar, maybe slightly forgotten about now. So many great scenes, from the opening montage on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Dope (2015) - A nerdy kid in Inglewood LA, bullied for "acting white" by having a punk band, doing well at school and loving 90's Hip-Hop, balances his Harvard application process with the more criminal pressures of his environment.

Produced by Diddy and Pharrell, but don't let that put you off. A sharp and fun rewriting of the Hood Film with good performances, including ASAP Rocky and Lakeith Stanfield (Sorry to Bother You, Atlanta), and great music. This seems to have been unfairly overshadowed by the NWA hagiography that came out in th same year, which is a pity as it's a far better film. I'd recommend it.

Dope was definitely one of the movies of that year. A fantastic watch.

Down Terrace (2009)- so under the radar, it'll be hard to track down. A low-budget crime drama, mainly set in a house in Brighton. Ben Wheatley's debut film. Full of dark humour, especially at the start, the violence- once it kicks in- makes it almost like a horror- in the sense of the banality of evil. A kind of Mike Leigh approach to brutal small-time hoodlums.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Session 9 (2001)
    https://youtu.be/LsxkRNvEbhM
    Very unsettling movie.

Advertisement