Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cracked co-worker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Erraah I wouldn't be fond of the drinking, but when I do go at it I go at it awful hard. I'd have about 45 pints in about 2 hours, and I'd have an aul packet a crips then or an aul packet eh peanuts, and I'd...ah I'd have 3 more anyway. And I'd get up in the morning then, and Maureen'd have the fry on. And I'd go at it again.

And I tell ya one thing, there'd be no fückin shtopping me. I'd drink the shirt off any man's back. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

IN actual fact thats a very moderate amount to drink. Its only slightly more than the recommended safe drinking guidelines issued by the government,which is 17 units.And ten pints is about 20 units.This guideline is based on the estimation that if you drink 17 units or less per week you have less than a 1% chance of dying of an alcohol related illness/injury over the course of your lifetime. Ireland also has stricter guidelines than most countries

Tbh Im absolutely shocked you dont know several people who drink considerably more than that?So much so that you even make a thread about it? Many hundreds of thousands of irish people would drink considerably more than the guy you are criticising, just so you know

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Erraah I wouldn't be fond of the drinking, but when I do go at it I go at it awful hard. I'd have about 45 pints in about 2 hours, and I'd have an aul packet a crips then or an aul packet eh peanuts, and I'd...ah I'd have 3 more anyway. And I'd get up in the morning then, and Maureen'd have the fry on. And I'd go at it again.

And I tell ya one thing, there'd be no fückin shtopping me. I'd drink the shirt off any man's back. Bastards.

May the force be with you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I usually have 10 pints before I start drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

I left Ireland and continued the Irish boozy lifestyle. This has since changed. I honestly can't believe what was acceptable during the Celtic Tiger, seeing what I was raised into - the endless spendthrift nature, perpetuated by all and sundry - it makes me sick to the stomach. i hope that lad doesn't spend his life boozed up.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

After hours demographic: Alcoholics

10 pints a week isnt normal in civilized nations. Its mathematically alcoholism

sk8erboii wrote: »
    After hours demographic: Alcoholics

10 pints a week isnt normal in civilized nations. Its mathematically alcoholism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

Ireland is the 21st heaviest drinking nation on earth.
    Average irish person drinks 11.9 litres of pure alcohol annually that would be 450 pints per year approximately, which is around 9 pints per week , so OP only drinks very slightly more than the average person does. Average brit, dane, south korean, spaniard,aussie ,frenchie drink almost the exact same quanitity as us or more

While at the top of the list belarussians and most east euroopean drink approximately 14 pints a week

Are they all uncivilised? All these hundres of millions of people are alcoholics ruining their lives? No youre just not aware and underestimating, and it for sure is not alcoholism

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

Ireland is the 21st heaviest drinking nation on earth.
    Average irish person drinks 11.9 litres of pure alcohol annually that would be 450 pints per year approximately, which is around 9 pints per week , so OP only drinks very slightly more than the average person does. Average brit, dane, south korean, spaniard,aussie ,frenchie drink almost the exact same quanitity as us or more

While at the top of the list belarussians and most east euroopean drink approximately 14 pints a week

Are they all uncivilised? All these hundres of millions of people are alcoholics ruining their lives? No youre just not aware and underestimating, and it for sure is not alcoholism

Yikes. Alcoholics trying to justify their issues with statistics.

Alright paddy, stay on the drink, but im glad the garda’s doing random checks now. Cant have your problem affecting normal functioning people now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Depends what he’s drinking. 10 pints of vodka could be problematic.

Yikes. Alcoholics trying to justify their issues with statistics.

Alright paddy, stay on the drink, but im glad the garda’s doing random checks now. Cant have your problem affecting normal functioning people now

I hardly drink because I have an alcohol intolerance. But non drinkers with sticks up their arses telling everyone who drinks they are alcoholics is just plain annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

totally mad.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I hardly drink because I have an alcohol intolerance. But non drinkers with sticks up their arses telling everyone who drinks they are alcoholics is just plain annoying

Yes isnt it annoying when your daughter gets run over by some alcoholic?

But the real victims are the alcoholics. They just wanna drink and drive in peace without non-alcoholics telling them they have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

He sounds like craic, you no craic,

What does cracked even mean.. What is this thread. Where am I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Macdarack wrote: »
    He sounds like craic, you no craic,

Honestly I don't think 10 pints spread out over three nights sounds like a lot, I think it's far preferable to a guy going out one night a week drinking 10 pints.

I really hate the attitude above though, that if you're not constantly on the piss you're "no craic". No doubt there was a time when I felt the same, I genuinely couldn't understand it when people who had the choice to drink decided not to.

Now I'm five years in recovery and away from a drink. I go out regularly, I have a bunch of hobbies, I'll happily do karaoke on a night out or get up and dance. I'd talk to the wall!

Friends have said things to me along the lines of "Sure you're mad enough without a drink Kiki, you've no need of it" and that's how I feel.

It's childish to assume someone not drinking is no craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Fella I work with, goes for a few pints at least three times a week, says he has an average of about ten pints a week. Is it me or is that madness? Guy is in his early 30s.

Your workmate goes for 3 pints three times a week. Hardly madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Your workmate goes for 3 pints three times a week. Hardly madness.

Could be pints of whisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

But the real victims are the alcoholics. They just wanna drink and drive in peace without non-alcoholics telling them they have a problem

Don’t forget giving out about the alcohol limit for driving.

The tide is turning…

Yes isnt it annoying when your daughter gets run over by some alcoholic?

OP mentioned nothing about his workmate driving.

Could be pints of whisky.

That would be an issue, but with the alarmist tone of the OP I'm sure he would have let us know. Would have enhanced his story and wouldn't make them look like the Helen Lovejoy they currently comes across as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

One of my colleagues asked me if i drink much when i go out. I said I wasn't drinking much these days, i'd only have five or six pints if i was out for a bit of dinner. He looked at me like I was a mad bastard.

Five or six pints was a massive session to him. It'd barely put a fcuking taste in my mouth!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Everyone should do my hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I know this is a troll thread but the following story is about a co-worker's drinking.

Many years ago, around 2001, I was working in the office of a meat factory. There was a salmonella scare and we all had to be interviewed by a doctor and had tests done to see if we were exposed/carriers of salmonella.

Two people at a time were interviewed by two different doctors in the same room with only a screen between the two parties so you could hear what the guy next to you was saying to the doctor.

One of the questions was about our alcohol consumption and I could hear the guy next to me start to work out his weekly alcohol consumption and it came to 77 pints a week - I **** you not.

That's not a mistype - it's 77 pints a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

For me, I wouldn’t have any issue with junior staff members enjoying themselves on nights out as long as they aren’t calling in sick the next day. It’s not like they couldn’t do their job with a hangover.

It’s one thing for the grunts to be coming in slightly “tired and emotional” but it’s a different story for management, I wouldn’t be impressed if a fellow manager, or above, was arriving in sauced a couple of times a week. Obviously, occasionally wouldn’t be an issue, would be extremely hypocritical if I was to attack someone over something I would do myself.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I know this is a troll thread but the following story is about a co-worker's drinking.

Many years ago, around 2001, I was working in the office of a meat factory. There was a salmonella scare and we all had to be interviewed by a doctor and had tests done to see if we were exposed/carriers of salmonella.

Two people at a time were interviewed by two different doctors in the same room with only a screen between the two parties so you could hear what the guy next to you was saying to the doctor.

One of the questions was about our alcohol consumption and I could hear the guy next to me start to work out his weekly alcohol consumption and it came to 77 pints a week - I **** you not.

Was his name Paddy? Older man, grey thinning hair married to Maureen? Always calling people Bastards?

Was he in the meat factory to get a new liver installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

One of my colleagues asked me if i drink much when i go out. I said I wasn't drinking much these days, i'd only have five or six pints if i was out for a bit of dinner. He looked at me like I was a mad bastard.

Five or six pints was a massive session to him. It'd barely put a fcuking taste in my mouth!!!

Six pints is a lot to most people to "have with dinner".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

:D
    Was his name Paddy? Older man, grey thinning hair married to Maureen? Always calling people Bastards?

Are you mixing him up with Joe Losty (The Pint Man)? :D
    kowloon wrote: »
    Was he in the meat factory to get a new liver installed?

Would a liver from a cow, sheep or pig do the job? Probably better than the one he had.

Would a liver from a cow, sheep or pig do the job? Probably better than the one he had.

You can't be too picky, you won't be given a human one necking that quantity of ale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Six pints is a lot to most people to "have with dinner".

A pint or two before hand, 2 or 3 with dinner, and a nightcap. Sure you’d hardly know you were drinking it.

Advertisement