Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brighton Sack Hughton

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

loyatemu wrote:
    He'll have no problem getting another job.

loyatemu wrote:
    I understand Brighton wanting a change, they're obviously looking at the likes of Burnley and Bournemouth and thinking they should be at that mid-table, safe-by-March level. it's not without risk though. I think I read they had the 3rd lowest spend in the division so finishing 4th from bottom is a success.

The critical ingredient in the recipe to find a good Premiership manager these days is successful signings. It's of equal or maybe even greater importance than coaching or motivational ability. Hughton spent a lot - forty five million - over the last two seasons on mediocre players who have not performed and helped to progress the team. It says a lot when you have to depend on Glenn Murray and Shane Duffy to score you goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If Potter becomes manager at least he should have some European contacts from his Ostersunds days. That should at least improve Brightons scouting network. Those European signings were certainly not identified by Hughton. He may have had some say with some, but laying the transfers completely at Hughtons door is incorrect imo. Alan Nixon, a journo who knows the inside of a lot of clubs has said he didn't sign them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Soups123

chicorytip wrote: »
    The critical ingredient in the recipe to find a good Premiership manager these days is successful signings. It's of equal or maybe even greater importance than coaching or motivational ability. Hughton spent a lot - forty five million - over the last two seasons on mediocre players who have not performed and helped to progress the team. It says a lot when you have to depend on Glenn Murray and Shane Duffy to score you goals.

You keep saying this as fact, Hughton did not make his own signings at Brighton, like most manager she has input but the majority of signings are found through there scouting team.

It’s been covered by most of the mainstream media yesterday saying the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Berserker wrote: »
    Think the sentiment on this thread is similar to other forums regarding his sacking. He is well respected and liked by a heavy majority of fans.

He is well respected and liked by just about everyone, but that doesn't mean his job is any more secure than that of any other manager in the Premiere League.

Brighton's form in the second half of the season has been absolutely shocking and it was only the fact that there were 3 abysmal teams in the league this year that saved them from relegation, and by the skin of their teeth.

I'm not at all surprised he was sacked. That doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for him, he seems one of football's most likeable characters. I am sure he got a decent payoff and he won't have to wait long for a new job offer, and good luck to him, but I can fully understand Brighton's decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Corholio wrote:
    If Potter becomes manager at least he should have some European contacts from his Ostersunds days. That should at least improve Brightons scouting network. Those European signings were certainly not identified by Hughton. He may have had some say with some, but laying the transfers completely at Hughtons door is incorrect imo. Alan Nixon, a journo who knows the inside of a lot of clubs has said he didn't sign them.

Soups123 wrote:
    You keep saying this as fact, Hughton did not make his own signings at Brighton, like most manager she has input but the majority of signings are found through there scouting team.

Ah, come on! The buck stops at the managers door in relation to all first team matters including transfers. Scouts will identify potential targets whom the manager will then watch in action, usually on numerous occasions, before deciding whether or not to make a bid. The notion that the manager at a Premier League club could have no hand, act or part in the process of signing players is simply unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

chicorytip wrote: »
    Ah, come on! The buck stops at the managers door in relation to all first team matters including transfers. Scouts will identify potential targets whom the manager will then watch in action, usually on numerous occasions, before deciding whether or not to make a bid. The notion that the manager at a Premier League club could have no hand, act or part in the process of signing players is simply unbelievable.

With Jokanovic at Fulham it was exactly that, he didn't want quite a number of the players signed. Whether it's 'no part', which I didn't say anyway, with Hughton I don't know, but the players that signed were all through the scouting system in Europe. I suspect he may not have wanted some of them, some of their game time shows a bit towards that I think.

There's for and against his sacking, but I think it's naive to think that a lot of managers these days don't have these scout suggestions and moneyball players forced on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Potter (Swansea manager) to Brighton , good appointment - no doubt Hughton will get picked up , but would wish he was becoming the next Irish manager , would be a good fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

thebaz wrote: »
    Potter (Swansea manager) to Brighton , good appointment - no doubt Hughton will get picked up , but would wish he was becoming the next Irish manager , would be a good fit.

Yep really unfortunate that he was tied up with brighton as I would have loved him as manager but happy with Mick all the same.

Anyone in the champion ship would have him in a heart beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Be a great fit for middlesboro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Yep really unfortunate that he was tied up with brighton as I would have loved him as manager but happy with Mick all the same.

Anyone in the champion ship would have him in a heart beat

Probably favorite for West Brom job.
    Bigger club than Brighton you'd have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

thebaz wrote: »

I would have to disagree with you on this point. Hughton is well known for being a very good hands on coach. He has a particular style of play, player and ethos which he can put into place on the training ground everyday with the players. Good managers are not always good coaches and vice versa.

Hughton would not get the time as an international manager to be very effective- a few days a year basically to train with what he is given.

Having said that I would have no issue with him whatsoever as Irish manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Potter appointed Brighton manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,952 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Someone saying Potter is a good choice when the truth is he is a risky play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

eagle eye wrote: »

I said he was a good choice , and stand by it - Brighton had got stale this season, Potter did well at Swansea , everything is always a risk , but if given money think Brighton will be allright -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

POKERKING wrote: »
    Be a great fit for middlesboro

No thx I’m a boro fan and we want a different style football after pulis.

Not sure I get all the praise. Swansea were one of the favourites to be promoted, shorter odds than Norwich, Sheff Utd, Villa and Derby. They had one of the best players in the division. And finished mid table

Not sure I get all the praise. Swansea were one of the favourites to be promoted, shorter odds than Norwich, Sheff Utd, Villa and Derby. They had one of the best players in the division. And finished mid table

There was a Welsh guy in presenting for Max Rushden on football weekly last week and he was a Swansea fan and said he had worked wonders and had promoted a lot of young players into the first team and everyone was loving him. He seemed pretty worried if he was to leave (which he now has obviously)

There was a Welsh guy in presenting for Max Rushden on football weekly last week and he was a Swansea fan and said he had worked wonders and had promoted a lot of young players into the first team and everyone was loving him. He seemed pretty worried if he was to leave (which he now has obviously)

Heard it, ElIs James, Isy Suttie's partner. I like him, and he's a Swansea fan...but the bookies had Swansea down as one of the favourites to go up and they were not really in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Chris Hughton has been harshly treated on a few occasions now. Norwich & Newcastle too.
    For those who think it's the correct decision, how much better have those clubs done since they sacked him??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Jairo Clean Ranch

they got gutted I believe, as the americans who own them are asset stripping them...Id be surprised if we saw Swansea in the premiership anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Chris Hughton has been harshly treated on a few occasions now. Norwich & Newcastle too.
    For those who think it's the correct decision, how much better have those clubs done since they sacked him??

Not sure he got treated harshly at Norwich, they were awful from day 1 in the Prem, not all down to Hughton but his signings were poor when they came up.

Also don't agree with the criticism of his style of play, from memory, Norwich, Newcastle & Brighton all played good football in the Championship and Norwich and Brighton were always going to do well to stay in the Prem so of course they'd play a more defensive style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

True to form for Bloom, Swansea way outperformed their position on all predictive stats and models. Assume he sees this hiring as a cheap obtain. They were being backed off the boards in Asian markets towards the end of the year

So far, the departure of Potter from Swansea to Brighton has not seen one collapse and the other rise...

And Brighton have one point more than at this time last year. No improvement despite signing their first, third and fourth most most expensive signings ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭CSF

And Brighton have one point more than at this time last year. No improvement despite signing their first, third and fourth most most expensive signings ever.

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong (I mean how could we truly know from the outside), but I think the argument with Hughton was not where they were at this point, but instead their collapse at the end of the season, and the rumours that the reasons for this were ones that would continue into this season. A split between the manager and the dressing room.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote:
    I’m not saying it’s right or wrong (I mean how could we truly know from the outside), but I think the argument with Hughton was not where they were at this point, but instead their collapse at the end of the season, and the rumours that the reasons for this were ones that would continue into this season. A split between the manager and the dressing room.
    Can you link me to an article from a decent source which suggested there was a split between the manager and players. I know for a fact that Shane Duffy was shocked and disappointed at Hughton's sacking.

Advertisement