Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I set up an independent prepay power meter from a socket?

Options
  • 09-05-2019 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

So I'm going to get a shed built out my parents back garden to live in. For electricity I'm just going to run an extension lead out from the house. Can I set up a prepay power meter to just pay for the electricity that is drawn from that socket to the extension lead?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Jp1506,

Thanks for getting in touch.

This is not possible for an Electric Ireland pay as you go (PAYG) meter, as a separate meter point reference number (MPRN) would be needed. A PAYG meter works in tandem with the ESB Networks meter/connection that's already there.

There is a fee to set up another connection (MPRN) and this is carried out by ESB Networks. The customer chooses their billing/PAYG company then.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jp1506 wrote: »
    So I'm going to get a shed built out my parents back garden to live in. For electricity I'm just going to run an extension lead out from the house. Can I set up a prepay power meter to just pay for the electricity that is drawn from that socket to the extension lead?

You can get something like an owl or other clip on power usage meter and then you can count up the units used per month and settle up that way?

Installing a meter is a big job and requires fully certified electrician to install a consumer unit and sign off on electrical compliance before submitting a cert confirming same to ESB networks allowing a meter installation.

Advertisement