Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC Bank

Options
  • 02-05-2019 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I am looking into opening a bank account. On comparison sites such as bonkers.ie, KBC is listed as the cheapest having no monthly fees etc.

Has anyone on here got any experience/feedback of using KBC? Is there any advantage say BOI or AIB can offer as the more established Irish banks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dubdev

Hi,

I set up a KBC extra current account recently, having moved from an AIB account. The benefit of it is that it has no fees as long as you lodge at least €2,500 per month. Your balance doesn't have to be maintained at that amount, unlike AIB.

The downside is that KBC don't handle cash, so you can't make lodgements or withdrawals in their branches. You can only credit your account via cheque and electronic transfer. Also, the online and mobile banking is more basic than AIB. You also have to ring up for your online banking to be activated, and signing into KBC online banking requires using either your phone or a key generator device , which is a big pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Also, their app has started acting weird after the latest update. Instead of tapping the icons, you need to flick them. This can take many attempts to get working each time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

I think KBC is fine as long you think you'd rarely need to visit a branch or handle cash. If you think you'll be lodging cash, forgot about it.

In some ways it's more like Revolut than an AIB but you at least have some physical presence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Tow

They also don't do foreign exchange. Again not a problem for most people.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Are there any pillar banks offer no fees deposit account that you can use to lodge cash so you can then transfer to kbc, it's taking 7-10 days for kbc to clear a cheque

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Are there any pillar banks offer no fees deposit account that you can use to lodge cash so you can then transfer to kbc, it's taking 7-10 days for kbc to clear a cheque

I just use my credit union account for this stuff. Many credit unions have apps. I have my KBC account set up as a payee on my credit union account. Cheques and cash can be lodged to the credit union and transferred to bank account after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Is this the android app? What version of the app is it?
    McGaggs wrote: »
    Also, their app has started acting weird after the latest update. Instead of tapping the icons, you need to flick them. This can take many attempts to get working each time...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Is this the android app? What version of the app is it?

Android app, version 4.2.1. Was happening on Android 7 and is still happening in android 8.1.

Have a look at the reviews in the app store and there are a few threads on the ask KBC forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I don't have that problem with the KBC app.

I've had a current account since last July as I needed it for my mortgage with them but I'm in the process of switching all my banking to them from UB. Very happy so far.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just checked my app, and have no issues. 4.2.1 on a Pocofone F1. I'm on android 9 though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

Hi all,

This seems to be a 'consumer experience' thread on them, and I'm interested in opening a KBC current account and hopefully use it as my main account.

I started moving away from UB last year as they raised their prices for a current account quite a lot, I've been testing a few of the digital banks and I've had many issues, with shops not accepting them or missing salary. Another top issue is customer service. If there's one thing I appreciated with the 'traditional banks' it's that I could get on the phone and ask questions and they were generally resolved quickly.

With KBC, how do they fare? Any issues with current accounts, the app is convenient enough and is customer service decent?

Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Elysium1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

This seems to be a 'consumer experience' thread on them, and I'm interested in opening a KBC current account and hopefully use it as my main account.

I started moving away from UB last year as they raised their prices for a current account quite a lot, I've been testing a few of the digital banks and I've had many issues, with shops not accepting them or missing salary. Another top issue is customer service. If there's one thing I appreciated with the 'traditional banks' it's that I could get on the phone and ask questions and they were generally resolved quickly.

With KBC, how do they fare? Any issues with current accounts, the app is convenient enough and is customer service decent?

I was a UB customer my whole life, had been happy with them up until they started playing silly beggers with the fees. Switched to KBC fully because I needed a current account to draw down my mortgage with them.

2 years in and I've no major complaints. They still don't have paperless billing or mortgage accounts in their online banking, which is a pain, and you need to generate a code in your phone app if you want to use online banking on the PC, which is also a pain (more secure but if your phone has died you can't see your accounts)

THAT SAID I've had nothing but positive experiences any time I've dealt with them, phone support was good and they seem to have a good reputation for dealing with issues.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Elysium1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been with them a year after switching from Ulster Bank. I haven't had a reason to contact their customer service which is good I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Been with them for years and find them to be good. Opening the account initially took longer than necessary but once the account was open it's been pretty much plain sailing since then.

I find their call center to be very helpful and easy to deal with, they seem to do their best to help with your query instead of relying on what the computer tells them to do which is common in other banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Personally I found KBC and their customer service trash. I closed my accounts with them after about 9months and two Good will payments from complaints lodged. While closing the account in one of their hubs I had to explain to a very rude supervisor the difference between a DD and SO.

Advertisement