Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to prepare for questions in practical test

Options
  • 17-04-2019 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

When I studied for the theory exam I used a book with all possible questions and the correct answers. Was very straight forward. I have my practical test in two weeks and need to prepare for the Theory questions that can be asked at the start. I know all the road signs but how should I prepare for the theory questions? I'm looking at the Rules of Road document, found here:

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

and there's stuff in it like "Laminated glass must be used for the windscreens of motor vehicles registered since January 1986.". I started reading about Mirrors and I'm suddenly greeted with "All HGVs must have Cyclops". Should I read through this doc and take notes of things I feel are important for car drivers or have you a better suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

BarraOG wrote: »
    When I studied for the theory exam I used a book with all possible questions and the correct answers. Was very straight forward. I have my practical test in two weeks and need to prepare for the Theory questions that can be asked at the start. I know all the road signs but how should I prepare for the theory questions? I'm looking at the Rules of Road document, found here:

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

and there's stuff in it like "Laminated glass must be used for the windscreens of motor vehicles registered since January 1986.". I started reading about Mirrors and I'm suddenly greeted with "All HGVs must have Cyclops". Should I read through this doc and take notes of things I feel are important for car drivers or have you a better suggestion?

Know your road signs, and around your car. ie. Where does the oil go and where is the dip stick, what to look out for on tyre wear, point out the hazard light switch. The basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Know your road signs, and around your car. ie. Where does the oil go and where is the dip stick, what to look out for on tyre wear, point out the hazard light switch. The basics.

But you are also asked Rules of the Road. You can be asked "When can you enter a junction box?" And you can get a blue right from the get-go if your answers are not to the tester's satisfaction. Would be nice to avoid a blue on this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Your ADI should have given you a list of 20 or so questions and gone through them with you as part of your test prep. Have they not been through any theory with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

But you are also asked Rules of the Road. You can be asked "When can you enter a junction box?" And you can get a blue right from the get-go if your answers are not to the tester's satisfaction. Would be nice to avoid a blue on this.

Yes, you can be asked that and other common things you will have to know in order to be on the road. Stuff like when to turn on the dipped lights, what to do when dazzled by lights from an oncoming vehicle, minimum parking distance from a pedestrian crossing, what an amber light means, when not to overtake, etc. It's not going to be anything that doesn't apply to you as a car driver (like HGVs and Cyclops).

Do read through the Rules book, but as you do, focus on things that you will need to know if you're driving around on a regular basis.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

PM me and I’ll send you something very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

these videos helped me a tonne
    https://www.youtube.com/user/danetyghe/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Yes. But they are not going to ask you about HGVs, other then maybe about their blind spots. They are extreamily unlikely to ask you technical stuff. Only question they might ask you about windscreens, is what you can place in them, and if you have a chip in one, can you drive. Safety checks may also come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

All I learned revised were road signs and made sure I knew the secondary controls / stuff under the bonnet of my car. The rest of the questions they ask (if they even do...) are pretty much common sense.

Advertisement