Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

De minimis rule and spellings

• 12-04-2019 7:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭

If I call the judge a cnut *, will it be known what I am speaking of?

More generally, can one get away with using a deliberate misspelling to abuse a rule of law, e.g. trade as Joe Bloggs Ldt. while not having a limited company.

I am aware that some legislation use the phrase "cognate words shall be construed accordingly" to get around some such shenanigans.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,703 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Victor wrote: »
    If I call the judge a cnut *, will it be known what I can speaking of?
    Yes.
    More generally, can one get away with using a deliberate misspelling to abuse a rule of law, e.g. trade as Joe Bloggs Ldt. while not having a limited company.
    No. Obvious intention to mislead the public there. Only way you could hope to get away with it is if you make such a big deal out of your not-quite-right word that even an idiot in a hurry would appreciate that the whole point of the word was the contrast with the usual word - e.g if you call your discount mobile phone shop "Mobile Phone Warehouse UNLIMITED!!!", nobody will think you are thereby claiming to be a limited company.
    I am aware that some legislation use the phrase "cognate words shall be construed accordingly" to get around some such shenanigans.
    Nothing to do with that at all. A provision like that means, basically, "Look, we have defined the word 'licence' for you. Please understand that that's the kind of licence we're talking about when we use words like 'licensed', 'unlicensed' and 'licenceholder'."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

If I call the judge a cnut *, will it be known what I can speaking of?

Try it and see how you get on, tell the judge you were comparing them to a great Viking King. :)

Yes that's correct Canute the Great was actually Cnut the Great, but there are mixed views as to exactly why Cnut became Canute, some suggest Pope Paschal II coined it because he could not pronounce Cnut whilst others suggest it was changed to avoid confusion with c**t or stop the King being called the nut King

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

https://www.thejournal.ie/dietitian-speech-language-therapist-legally-protected-titles-3058745-Nov2016/

http://www.engineersireland.ie/membership/registered-titles.aspx

So certain titles are protected, e.g. "Chartered Engineer", if I were to call myself a "Chartered Ingineer", a judge would see through the semantics and convict (I've not studied the niceties of claiming to be a Chartered Engineer).

Let's assume a simple claim to be a Chartered Ingineer and not one where a building fell down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

https://www.thejournal.ie/dietitian-speech-language-therapist-legally-protected-titles-3058745-Nov2016/

http://www.engineersireland.ie/membership/registered-titles.aspx

So certain titles are protected, e.g. "Chartered Engineer", if I were to call myself a "Chartered Ingineer", a judge would see through the semantics and convict (I've not studied the niceties of claiming to be a Chartered Engineer).

Let's assume a simple claim to be a Chartered Ingineer and not one where a building fell down.

only certain functions of charted engineer are projected.

My understanding is that act of calling yourself a chartered engineer while carrying out one of the functions is illegal.

Calling yourself a charted engineer while washing some ones car isnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,703 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mmm. Penal statutes are narrowly construed, so if the offence lies in using the term "chartered engineer" and you use a slightly different term, I don't think you could be convicted of the offence of using the term "chartered engineer".

However, if charged with a fraud/deception/holding out-type offence, calling yourself a "chartered ingineer" would probably be enough to tick the box on the dishonesty/intention to mislead element of the offence. Similarly in a civil action in which it was argued that you held yourself out as a chartered engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I wonder if different uses of the word could in fact be illegal (obviously depending on how so used) based on vocabulary differences?

For example in Scotland ingineer is another word for engineer. So if a Scottish person used the word here, the fact that their vocabulary implies the same I wonder could it have any bearing on it's use in terms of an offence? Have never heard of such, but who knows and there are no doubt other words in titles which could have similar effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This thread also brought to you by Sleep Deprivation™.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

There is also the Eur Ing title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Over time judges do catch up especially if they have youngsters at home to explain the terminology :)
    Failing that, those judicial assistants are very knowledgeable.

Most judges in England eventually understood what was meant by Linford Christie's lunch box and some even know who Gazza [Paul Gascoigne] is.

Against this I am certain that 99% of judges would recognise the word play at work and that same proportion would get great pleasure in court from pretending that they didn't, especially if the case before them was getting very boring.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

GM228 wrote: »
    I wonder if different uses of the word could in fact be illegal (obviously depending on how so used) based on vocabulary differences?

For example in Scotland ingineer is another word for engineer. So if a Scottish person used the word here, the fact that their vocabulary implies the same I wonder could it have any bearing on it's use in terms of an offence? Have never heard of such, but who knows and there are no doubt other words in titles which could have similar effect.

"Mr McElwee, this post calls for a graduate qualification in accountancy, sooo....?"

"On the contrary, Mr Snodgrass, I think you will find that the job placement advertisement in the paper of record stated, in Ulster Scots, 'ye maun hae college letters efter yer name adae wae business and hannlin money an pitten siller wittens thegither'. I fail to see how my sixth form college GCSE (pass) in business does not apply."

• Advertisement
Advertisement