Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest

Options
  • 05-03-2019 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi

I’m due to have a nest installed but have no thermostat in my premises. Is an existing thermostat required for installation?

Rgds
    Cormac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

scary wrote: »
    Hi

I’m due to have a nest installed but have no thermostat in my premises. Is an existing thermostat required for installation?

Rgds
    Cormac

No, I had it installed 2 weeks ago, and it's definitely not a prerequisite.
    I had no thermostat before Nest.
    And for the record I'm not with Electric Ireland either in case anyone else is wondering.

Great system though I have to say, thoroughly recommend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well worth it, I am thinking of doing same or just sticking with what I used in rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Can I ask how it was connected to your system without an existing thermostat?

Thanks
    turbostan wrote: »
    No, I had it installed 2 weeks ago, and it's definitely not a prerequisite.
    I had no thermostat before Nest.
    And for the record I'm not with Electric Ireland either in case anyone else is wondering.

Great system though I have to say, thoroughly recommend this.

Can I ask how it was connected to your system without an existing thermostat?

Thanks

Straight up to the timer.

All it does is call for heat when it goes belothe temperature set.

This then switches the live to boiler on.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Ah ok,

So just a wireless on/off switch based on a temp at current boiler timer which isn’t in a great spot for determining temp of house.
    Straight up to the timer.

All it does is call for heat when it goes belothe temperature set.

This then switches the live to boiler on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Ah ok,

So just a wireless on/off switch based on a temp at current boiler timer which isn’t in a great spot for determining temp of house.

Not exactly.
    The old timer is replaced by a new 'heat link' which is the new control box, and a manual on/off switch also if you like..

The thermostat is connected wirelessly to this and can be placed anywhere in the house.
    Mine is in the kitchen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Nest doesn’t replace a thermostat in your system, it is a new install thermostat in your system. There is an ‘adaptor’ connected to your boiler which replaces your old timer, and this adapter communicates with the Nest controller wirelessly.

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi scary, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

I can see that other posters have answered your questions. The Nest is a smart thermostat .

There is a video on our website with some information on how the Nest thermostat works if you would like to take a look.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Thanks, 
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Elottois

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help. We availed of the Electric Ireland Nest offer and had ours installed a couple of weeks ago. All going well until last night. The heat was on for approximately an hour. Heat turned off itself. An error message appeared on the Nest thermostat saying there was no connection with the Heatlink and now there are no lights showing on the Heatlink whatsoever. We have no way of turning on any heating in our home from what I can gather. Is there anyway to override this in order have heating over the weekend until normal business resumes on Tuesday? 

Many thanks

Elottois wrote: »
    Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help. We availed of the Electric Ireland Nest offer and had ours installed a couple of weeks ago. All going well until last night. The heat was on for approximately an hour. Heat turned off itself. An error message appeared on the Nest thermostat saying there was no connection with the Heatlink and now there are no lights showing on the Heatlink whatsoever. We have no way of turning on any heating in our home from what I can gather. Is there anyway to override this in order have heating over the weekend until normal business resumes on Tuesday? 

Many thanks

Sometimes the controller will lose connection with the heat link, it should be back on again soon.

Is the thermostat fixed to a wall or can you move it closer to the heatlink?

When they lose connection to each other, simply pushing the big button on the heatlink will turn on the boiler (heating and hot water), which is an easy temporary fix for loss of connection issues.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Many thanks

Sometimes the controller will lose connection with the heat link, it should be back on again soon.

Is the thermostat fixed to a wall or can you move it closer to the heatlink?

When they lose connection to each other, simply pushing the big button on the heatlink will turn on the boiler (heating and hot water), which is an easy temporary fix for loss of connection issues.
    Hi AndyBoBandy,

Thank you for your reply. We have tried that unfortunately with no luck. Thermostat is not fixed so we have moved it right beside the Heatlink.

There appears to be no power to the Heatlink unit itself. There are no lights appearing on the unit and when you push the centre button on the Heatlink nothing happens. 

Hi AndyBoBandy,

Thank you for your reply. We have tried that unfortunately with no luck. Thermostat is not fixed so we have moved it right beside the Heatlink.

There appears to be no power to the Heatlink unit itself. There are no lights appearing on the unit and when you push the centre button on the Heatlink nothing happens. 

Check the MCB board, what way is the unit wired as in has a plug been removed or even at the boiler is it hard wired or plugged in.

It could be a fuse on a plug if like above or a loose connection.

Hi AndyBoBandy,

Sounds like there’s no power going to the heatlonk or it’s dodgy wiring, as even when the connection goes, there should still be an orange light!

Can you check the fuse for the boiler/heat link? It should be accessible or very close to the boiler, and possibly even have a red light on it.

Do you know any electricians that can take a look at it? Or if your fairly handy yourself you could have a look at it.

I’m no electrician but I fitted our Nest myself over 2 years ago and have never had a problem with it.
    Just like wiring a slightly more complicated plug

Here’s my boiler fuse box, do you have something similar?

Here’s my boiler fuse box, do you have something similar?
    Hi AndyBoBandy,

So light is on, on the fused switch beside the Heatlink, like your photo. But no light on the Heatlink at all. No eletricians here and unsure what to do until Tuesday. An Electric Ireland rep installed the unit so probably have to wait it out until I can speak with them on Tuesday.

Brrrr for the next couple of days!!

Sounds like it was wired up bad then, perhaps a wire came loose thus killing the power to the unit!

Do you have any electric heaters you can use in the evenings to get a bit of heat into the house?

Perhaps nip down to your local Argos or Woodies and pick something up?
    (Obviously if you do this don’t ever leave it plugged in and unattended).

Sounds like it was wired up bad then, perhaps a wire came loose thus killing the power to the unit!

Do you have any electric heaters you can use in the evenings to get a bit of heat into the house?

Perhaps nip down to your local Argos or Woodies and pick something up?
    (Obviously if you do this don’t ever leave it plugged in and unattended).
    Thankfully we have a stove so that will heat our living room. Just unfortunate that it happens over a long weekend!!

Hi AndyBoBandy,

So light is on, on the fused switch beside the Heatlink, like your photo. But no light on the Heatlink at all. No eletricians here and unsure what to do until Tuesday. An Electric Ireland rep installed the unit so probably have to wait it out until I can speak with them on Tuesday.

Brrrr for the next couple of days!!

Pull fuse cover out and pop back in.

Did you get all sorted OP?

Did you get all sorted OP?
    Hi AndyBoBandy,

Yes we got sorted Electric Ireland was able to get the technician out on the Wednesday. It was a fault with the neutral wire within the Heatlink. So as he said himself "human error". But he very kindly rewired it and a switch which I can use to turn on the oil burner should anything happen to the Heatlink or Nest again.

Thank you for your advice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Maire Bhig

Is there a very basic intro to NEST published online somewhere that I can download and print in paper copy.  I'm a technophobe and honestly find paper is my best way of learning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Maire,

Thanks for getting in touch.

This page on the Electric Ireland Shop website contains information and further links to other pages (and a video) on how the Nest Learning Thermostat works, for customers interested in availing of it through Electric Ireland.

Let us know if you have further questions, and we can either advise or direct you to the relevant department.

Kind regards,
    Una

thanks, Una, I'll have a go at this first ... my new nest was installed last Friday and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Coley35

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place or not. I'm interested in the Nest thermostat. My house was built in 2004, oil boiler Grant 90/120, bungalow with underfloor heating for kitchen, utility & bathroom and radiators in the other rooms. I have 3 timer switches, 1 for underfloor, 1 for radiators and 1 for hot water. I have 2 thermostats, 1 in the kitchen for the underfloor and 1 in main bedroom for the radiators. I got onto Electric Ireland about the Nest but they said the Climote suits my system, €490 installed (seems a bit steep). I checked out Climote on Electric Ireland website and it has capability for 3 different zones but it says it not suited for underfloor heating! I'm totally confused now. Can anyone give me some advice please. I'm looking to change energy provider for Electricity from Bord Gais, that's where I spotted the Nest available from Electric Ireland for €130 installed ...

Hi Coley35,

Thanks for your interest in Electric Ireland.

There is the option of two Nest thermostats/installations - one at €130, the other at €270.

Contact the Home Energy Services team again for more details on this, as they are the department with all of that information - 1850 372 333, open until 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Coley35, from the climote website http://www.climote.ie/products/climote-compatibility-check/:
    If your heating is controlled from a single timeswitch or programmer centrally located then climote is compatible and will simply replace your existing. However if it is controlled from a number of programmable room thermostats you may need to make some alterations to your existing system. Check with the installer
    I didn't clip that quote, that's what's written on the site. It's basically saying, it won't be simply a case of popping off the old clock on the wall and fitting a Climote. That's probably why you're being quoted €500.

actually... maybe you should shop around
    How much does Climote cost?
    At the initial purchase and installation stage, you’ll pay €399 for a Climote system if you buy directly from Climote. This includes a €19 fee you’ll pay for remote access for your first year.

Remote access costs €36 per year for subsequent years.

If you decide to go with nest, you'll need 2 nests . One for each zone (radiator and underfloor), and one of them can also control the hot water (on/off). A second nest costs approx €210. You'll probably need a thermostat (not a smart device) for the hot water if you don't already have one. And then installation on top of it. You're probably talking €500 if you go with Nest.  

Just noticed you posted a pic.. sorry I'm not technical. Just telling you my experience. I was getting a new heating system so got the Nest installed at the same time so I couldn't even tell you how much it cost apart from I bought 2 thermostats from amazon for £180 each and put one in a bedroom (upstairs heating) and one in the living room (downstairs).

Fairly happy with them so far. And no yearly fee with google. It works great with google home/google assistant.

Hi all,

Climote can be purchased through Electric Ireland for €90 and it is suitable for a build with more than one space heating zone. However, if there are compatibility issues relating to the property's heating system, two Nest thermostats can be purchased through Electric Ireland - one for the special offer of €130 (including installation) and a second one at €270 (still a reduction on the RRP).

Here is the full offer, with the Nest thermostat/installation for €130, for switching to Electric Ireland.

Home Services can go into more detail, and address any uncertainties. They liaise with the technicians also.

Kind regards,
    Una

My nest was installed a few weeks ago, one option for controlling heating, one for water.  I only tried it for water last night but got heating as well so looks like both are linked on that part of the program.  How do I separate it to only activate for water?

Maire Bhig wrote: »
    My nest was installed a few weeks ago, one option for controlling heating, one for water.  I only tried it for water last night but got heating as well so looks like both are linked on that part of the program.  How do I separate it to only activate for water?
    Hi Maire,

Here in the Social Media department, we look after general information about the Nest offer, however when it comes to the technical workings, we need to direct you to the dedicated Home Services team. They are available on 1850 372 333 until 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Kind regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hi, I have further questions re my Nest installation - can you please provide me with an email address for the Home Services team so I can send my queries on before I call them.  Thanks in advance,
    Maire Bhig

Advertisement