Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-03-2019, 22:01   #1
Poor Farmer in the hills

VRT and Brexit

If I import a car from the UK tomorrow and cannot get a VRT appointment until April could i be subject to the 20% tariff on diesels in the event of a crash out Brexit. I would hope the date of import should be the day it came into Ireland??
Advertisement
20-03-2019, 22:44   #2
Marcusm

That is correct. VRT woukdn’t Be the issue however. That would be customs duties and VAT but equally not a problem.
21-03-2019, 05:07   #3
Scoondal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Farmer in the hills View Post
If I import a car from the UK tomorrow and cannot get a VRT appointment until April could i be subject to the 20% tariff on diesels in the event of a crash out Brexit. I would hope the date of import should be the day it came into Ireland??
Things may or may not go to hell on 30 March.
At whatever date a "NO DEAL" occurs you will then be liable for VAT and customs duties.
21-03-2019, 13:50   #4
corvus4906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Farmer in the hills View Post

I'm in a very similar situation to what you're talking about.

I bought a car on 23rd of Feb.
I had my VRT appointment last Friday on 15th of March.

I was told my car needs to be assessed for VRT, and there's a backlog of 3-4 weeks currently.

So i'm worrying that they will not get around to assessing it until after the 29th...and when they come back to me with a VRT figure, and i go to pay it in the office, they try hit me with a VAT and Customs bill for 33% of the Sterling price i paid...on top of my VRT.

Very worried about it - especially unfair as the delay is on revenue's side considering i brought my car for assessment LAST WEEK.
21-03-2019, 15:03   #5
Marcusm

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus4906 View Post
I'm in a very similar situation to what you're talking about.

I bought a car on 23rd of Feb.
I had my VRT appointment last Friday on 15th of March.

I was told my car needs to be assessed for VRT, and there's a backlog of 3-4 weeks currently.

So i'm worrying that they will not get around to assessing it until after the 29th...and when they come back to me with a VRT figure, and i go to pay it in the office, they try hit me with a VAT and Customs bill for 33% of the Sterling price i paid...on top of my VRT.

Very worried about it - especially unfair as the delay is on revenue's side considering i brought my car for assessment LAST WEEK.
No need to worry as you have already imported it before Brexit day.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-03-2019, 21:14   #6
Poor Farmer in the hills

I hope you are right Marcusm!
Thanks from:
21-03-2019, 21:22   #7
Isambard

yes , it's the date of import that matters. In any event the date is looking more likely to be May22nd now
22-03-2019, 13:20   #8
corvus4906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
yes , it's the date of import that matters. In any event the date is looking more likely to be May22nd now
I hope that's right too.

1 question though... how do you officially capture a 'date of import' as there's no really way to prove when you drove it across the border.

Do we know for sure they take the date of VRT appointment or something?

Date of sale seems odd because that doesn't prove you brought it across the border the same day.
22-03-2019, 13:37   #9
awec

Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Quote:
I hope that's right too.

1 question though... how do you officially capture a 'date of import' as there's no really way to prove when you drove it across the border.

Do we know for sure they take the date of VRT appointment or something?

Date of sale seems odd because that doesn't prove you brought it across the border the same day.
For cars from NI I think they presume the date of import is the date of purchase on the invoice, and if it isn't then you have to prove that the car was kept somewhere in NI until the date you really did import it.
Advertisement
22-03-2019, 13:44   #10
corvus4906

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
For cars from NI I think they presume the date of import is the date of purchase on the invoice, and if it isn't then you have to prove that the car was kept somewhere in NI until the date you really did import it.
Hope that's true so

Bizarre to me that Revenue can give you an estimated quote for an exact model car but then (in my case) say "oh we actually use a different system which that car is not on". They should really use the same system and remove the additional bottleneck.
22-03-2019, 15:22   #11
Marcusm

Quote:
Hope that's true so

Bizarre to me that Revenue can give you an estimated quote for an exact model car but then (in my case) say "oh we actually use a different system which that car is not on". They should really use the same system and remove the additional bottleneck.
You had the VRT appointment so they examined the car and can confirm that you imported it into the state. There’s hardly any stronger evidence.
22-03-2019, 16:00   #12
corvus4906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusm View Post
You had the VRT appointment so they examined the car and can confirm that you imported it into the state. There’s hardly any stronger evidence.

100% agree but still dubious and won't believe I'm in the clear till and it's paid. Have zero faith in the system
22-03-2019, 16:57   #13
Isambard

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
nowadays they look at when the UK tax on it ran out and assume that was the date of import apparently.
22-03-2019, 17:18   #14
hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
nowadays they look at when the UK tax on it ran out and assume that was the date of import apparently.
That can't be the case as a lot of garages have cars with tax that expired months ago.
Thanks from:
22-03-2019, 17:37   #15
newmember?

It's already been said, the date of import is taken as the day of sale unless you have some acceptable documentation to prove otherwise like an invoice for storage fees, ferry tickets, etc.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion