Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just being friendly or up to something?

Options
  • 27-02-2019 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've had the strangest thing happening to me a couple of years back, but never really thought much of it. Just wanted to share it here to see what you guys think of it.

I was having a drink with a female friend in The Yacht pub in Clontarf (my local back then).Minding our own business we were having a great time sitting at the bar. At some stage a guy ordered a couple of drinks and started talking to us, he seemed friendly and genuinely interested and it was actually a pleasant convo. He then ordered pints for us, which we thanked him for, he walked off and went back to his mates. A bit later he came back and the same thing happened, ordered drinks, chatted a bit and got us pints too, this time he asked me to give him a hand carrying his pints back to his mates. I did so, had a bit of a chat with this mates (didn't share anything personal or anything anyone would really care about), got back to my friend and continued our night. Then after about an hour, our ''friend'' walked in and out of the pub a couple of times, he came back again, went to a different part of the bar and apparently ordered shots. Put them right in front of us, said cheers and walked off.
    I then got a bit suspicious and left them where they were. Again a bit later, the guy came from outside and approached us again (must've been around midnight). This time he wanted me to come outside, cause he wanted to show me something. I told him I was fine where I was and thanked him anyways. He insisted and told me that his friend wanted to see me and talk to me about something. I again politely refused and at this stage he kept persisting in a somewhat angry way. I refused to come with him and he ran off angrily, never to be seen again by me anyway.
    Just don't know what to make of this. I'm 6'5'' tall guy, not necessarily an easy target to mess with and therefore I'm just so curious what would've happened if I would've joined him outside.
    Anyone ever heard of something similar before or any ideas of what this guy might have wanted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

He sounds like a bit of a Jeffrey Dahmer or John Wayne Gacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's a bit weird alright, I probably wouldn't have accepted pints from a complete stranger like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Be careful in Clontarf, thousands of people of been killed there in the past

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

Possibly thought you were somebody else and was trying to suss you out and then wanted to get his mates opinion. Certainly very odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Succubus_ wrote: »
    He sounds like a bit of a Jeffrey Dahmer or John Wayne Gacy.

He wanted to experience what is like to be in the skin of a 6ft 5 man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Sounds like he wanted some meat in his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Anybody considering writing the new Thomas Harris novel, depending how this thread goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Looking for a bit of nookie ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

He was probably a Sky salesman and had free tuning information out in the van.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Clareman wrote: »
    Be careful in Clontarf, thousands of people of been killed there in the past

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Clontarf

:pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Defo an organ harvester.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭3DataModem

There are some odd people in the world. I'd probably have done exactly what you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Giveaway wrote: »
    He wanted to experience what is like to be in the skin of a 6ft 5 man

jud2fc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Happened to me once. Couple bought my table a round of drinks, ended up being a few more rounds and shots thereafter.
    We were all langers later on where what turned out to be the wife in that couple asked me to take her home and **** her senseless as they had being trying for kids only he was firing blanks.
    I declined cue an irate husband who wanted to knock my head off having "wasted all his money". We got the hell out of dodge. Great night, free piss up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Marino55 wrote: »
    I've had the strangest thing happening to me a couple of years back, but never really thought much of it. Just wanted to share it here to see what you guys think of it.

I was having a drink with a female friend in The Yacht pub in Clontarf (my local back then).Minding our own business we were having a great time sitting at the bar. At some stage a guy ordered a couple of drinks and started talking to us, he seemed friendly and genuinely interested and it was actually a pleasant convo. He then ordered pints for us, which we thanked him for, he walked off and went back to his mates. A bit later he came back and the same thing happened, ordered drinks, chatted a bit and got us pints too, this time he asked me to give him a hand carrying his pints back to his mates. I did so, had a bit of a chat with this mates (didn't share anything personal or anything anyone would really care about), got back to my friend and continued our night. Then after about an hour, our ''friend'' walked in and out of the pub a couple of times, he came back again, went to a different part of the bar and apparently ordered shots. Put them right in front of us, said cheers and walked off.
    I then got a bit suspicious and left them where they were. Again a bit later, the guy came from outside and approached us again (must've been around midnight). This time he wanted me to come outside, cause he wanted to show me something. I told him I was fine where I was and thanked him anyways. He insisted and told me that his friend wanted to see me and talk to me about something. I again politely refused and at this stage he kept persisting in a somewhat angry way. I refused to come with him and he ran off angrily, never to be seen again by me anyway.
    Just don't know what to make of this. I'm 6'5'' tall guy, not necessarily an easy target to mess with and therefore I'm just so curious what would've happened if I would've joined him outside.
    Anyone ever heard of something similar before or any ideas of what this guy might have wanted?

Welcome to boards, brand new poster. And congratulations on finding AH in your very first post and being able to post a thread...with your very first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Wow thats kind of freaky. I think he was either attracted to you or else was going to mug you, cant think of any other reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Happened to me once. Couple bought my table a round of drinks, ended up being a few more rounds and shots thereafter.
    We were all langers later on where what turned out to be the wife in that couple asked me to take her home and **** her senseless as they had being trying for kids only he was firing blanks.
    I declined cue an irate husband who wanted to knock my head off having "wasted all his money". We got the hell out of dodge. Great night, free piss up.
    Was she good looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Now you know what it's like to accept drinks from a man and then have him get mad at you if you won't put out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

He probably just wanted to throw you in a hole and ask you to put the lotion in the basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Was she good looking?

The beer goggles were on. She was yes. Mad as a March here though. She was in a bad place mentally as she loved her husband but didn't want to leave him. She was early 30s and beginning to panic she told me. For a drunken conversation it was also very frank and respectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

It was either your wan’s husband or the barman.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

tenor.gif

Hey! Theres me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

Maybe it's just me, but I would never accept a pint off a complete stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He was defo banging your female friend and she for sure had texted him beforehand to say she was out with you .

So he went down and acted as he did out of jealousy.

Good job you didn't go outside. He most likely wanted to show you the boot of his car, the bottom of which was lined with black refuge sacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Don't dispute your record OP just that I know The Yacht well and just can't imagine that happening there, guessing it might be mistaken identity and they were looking to give your doppelganger a kicking or worse.

Don't be put off The Yacht readers, savage carvery (and chance of a free pint).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

So what happened in the intervening "couple of years"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Totally up to something. As for what who knows. But it doesnt take Colombo to know that what ever he wanted to "talk about / show you outside" wasn't going to be in your best interests.

But hey let's not be naive. You were in a bar and some randomer was throwing drink in to you. So he either wanted to rob you, ride you or beat the piss out of you.

Advertisement