Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Young Entrepreneur's Journey

Options
  • 24-02-2019 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Good-day, guys. I hope this meets you well.

My name is Lincoln; I am 20 years of age.
    I am a burgeoning entrepreneur currently residing in the county of Monaghan. I intend to move to Dublin come June, in order that I might learn & grow in this interest & career-goal of mine, by taking part in any reputable entrepreneurial/business-related internship/apprenticeship.

I have applied to some openings I found online. I am hoping to get an internship that would give me access to many different parts of the company, as I would like to learn as much as possible about how the company operates. I believe that as an entrepreneur I will need to understand everything (from HR to product development and everything in between).

With that said, my reason for this post is: I know close to no one in Dublin, and as such, I am hoping a generous soul might be willing to accommodate me.

I, currently, am unemployed. Nevertheless, I aim to look for a job upon my arrival to Dublin - should I not get a (paid) intern position by June.

About Me:
    I am a Christian.

I like - asides entrepreneurship - music; dance; art; design; poetry; reading; learning; cooking; fashion; video games; sports; photography; sales & management; fitness & weight-lifting; science & tech; giving; cheering people up - to name a few.

I do not drink, neither do I smoke. I do not go clubbing. I keep my habitation tidy and my self clean.

Please feel free to drop me a message, should you have any questions.

Even if you are unable to assist accommodation-wise, yet feel free to comment still - perhaps an advice, or instruction, or referral (to a company you believe would be a good fit for me to apply to, or someone you think would be willing to accommodate me), or anything you feel would be worth sharing.

Thank you very much.

Lincoln

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Dublin is full. I suggest you operate from Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lincoln98

Understood. Thanks for the input, Pedro.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

:D That's harsh :)

Sounds to me like you need a job not charity or to start your journey as a business owner.

If you want to be a top entrepreneur, start investing. And the place to start is in yourself. Read every business book you can get your hands on. Watch lectures from MIT and Harvard on youtube. Take it seriously, even at CEO level I read / listen to Audio books at least 10+ hours per week and that's while operating several businesses and managing a lot of staff. You should be aiming for 60 hours of self training a week with an additional 10 hours of serious job hunting. Minimum. Entrepreneurs work long hours, if you can't do 70 hours a week, then entrepreneurship not for you. This is instead of a degree. Document it too. If someone walked into my office for an interview and said I don't have a degree but I've got this much experience and knowledge I'd be more impressed that an overrated masters degree. But keep in mind if you do say you've read that many books, be ready to answer questions as professional business owners and managers will probably have read them too.

In terms of Jobs, look for entrepreneur companies. Voxpro for example might be a good fit, or try to get the high coveted internship with EY's Entrepreneur Of The Year and write a serious sales pitch as to why they shouldn't hire out of the cream of the top colleges but instead choose you.

Don't consider a non paid job at the peak of a boom market, that's valuing yourself and your time at zero. Not entrepreneurial at all. And don't ask strangers to give you something for free, that forms bad habits. Earn it.

:D That's harsh :)

Sounds to me like you need a job not charity or to start your journey as a business owner.

If you want to be a top entrepreneur, start investing. And the place to start is in yourself. Read every business book you can get your hands on. Watch lectures from MIT and Harvard on youtube. Take it seriously, even at CEO level I read / listen to Audio books at least 10+ hours per week and that's while operating several businesses and managing a lot of staff. You should be aiming for 60 hours of self training a week with an additional 10 hours of serious job hunting. Minimum. Entrepreneurs work long hours, if you can't do 70 hours a week, then entrepreneurship not for you. This is instead of a degree. Document it too. If someone walked into my office for an interview and said I don't have a degree but I've got this much experience and knowledge I'd be more impressed that an overrated masters degree. But keep in mind if you do say you've read that many books, be ready to answer questions as professional business owners and managers will probably have read them too.

In terms of Jobs, look for entrepreneur companies. Voxpro for example might be a good fit, or try to get the high coveted internship with EY's Entrepreneur Of The Year and write a serious sales pitch as to why they shouldn't hire out of the cream of the top colleges but instead choose you.

Don't consider a non paid job at the peak of a boom market, that's valuing yourself and your time at zero. Not entrepreneurial at all. And don't ask strangers to give you something for free, that forms bad habits. Earn it.

Sound advice. Thanks, Ronan.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭meforever

Great, great forward thinking on your part. PM sent.

• Advertisement

meforever wrote: »
    Great, great forward thinking on your part. PM sent.

Thank you for the compliment. I will have look at your PM now.
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Maybe this is just my personal opinion but starting your sales pitch with "I'm a Christian" will not bode well with everyone. Leave religion, personal beliefs and political viewpoints out of everything you do in business. If somebody handed me a CV or cover letter with their religious beliefs listed (Regardless of what they are) I would rule them out immediately.

Danger781 wrote: »
    Maybe this is just my personal opinion but starting your sales pitch with "I'm a Christian" will not bode well with everyone. Leave religion, personal beliefs and political viewpoints out of everything you do in business. If somebody handed me a CV or cover letter with their religious beliefs listed (Regardless of what they are) I would rule them out immediately.

Thank you for expressing your concern, friend, however, my religion is my lifestyle.
    Excluding it from the list would be no different to not including my name, date of birth, and gender - basic descriptions of myself.

It conveys a point that I am rooted in and driven by a Christian mindset, so that should anyone offer me a place, they would be well aware & so, should not expect that I would engage in whatever crosses my faith e.g lying; double-crossing; greed.

It even is a necessary filter put in place in my search, as there a many dubious minds out there, who, whilst they have amassed hundreds of millions, have no ethical or moral standpoint -- "as long as it fattens the wallet, go for it!" -- I do not intend associating myself
    with such. I would rather remain with a not-so-reach person with inherent values, than a billionaire with none.

So, should a person, upon seeing what I present, do away with my pitch, because of a single line (of close to, if not more than, 50) in which I mention my faith, it only reveals their bias, and I would want nothing to do with such a one, no matter how knowledgeable & experienced he or she is.
    Said person could Dan Pena or Robert Kiyosaki even! It would not phase me - I would be glad instead - How one is as a person is of more priority to me than how much/deep he/sge knows & how many fears they have conquered.

Thank you again 🙂

Lincoln98 wrote: »
    Thank you for expressing your concern, friend, however, my religion is my lifestyle.
    Excluding it from the list would be no different to not including my name, date of birth, and gender - basic descriptions of myself.

I think this is quite an immature reply Lincoln98. Especially since you didn't Mention your full name, Date of Birth or Gender.

Someone has given you feedback and you disagree with it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take it on board and try to see their point of view. The poster has a valid point / opinion and you've chosen not to consider it.

I've never in the course of business brought up my religious beliefs, it just something that doesn't really belong in business - by this I mean I would not (or be allowed to) discriminate on the basis of religion. Yet you believe this is so important you lead with this - others don't. You also chose not to mention your nationality for example, but I'm gonna guess you are not Irish. Or for that matter the other information you mention was important (but probably isn't).

Say someone gave you the charity you asked for (It was not a "pitch" as that implies you were offering value to them by you lodging in their home for free to purse your dreams - you havent mentioned whats in it for the person who would be paying for your lodging) and offered you an internship. Would you start judging their clients as having attitudes of "as long as it fattens the wallet, go for it!" and intend to not associate with them then? Hence insulting their customers and loosing sales for your company?

One General Rule is you don't talk religion or politics outside of specific places where its suitable (church etc). Particularity in Ireland where our History has horrid situations where people have died just because they grew up with a set of beliefs or on a certain side of a road associated with a religion.

Look we aren't saying your religion is a bad thing. What we are saying is legally business people can't make decisions, award contracts or exclude someone from lodging (in the case of a landlord) based on their religion. As such, you shouldn't have led with that or included it in your opening ask. Maybe if it was a couch surfing thread that might be ok, but this is a business forum.

Whats happen here is you've implied that you are in a position to look down on people due to your perceived superior religious beliefs.

This is a learning forum, so if you aren't here to learn about the topic of business and prepared to at least consider more experienced contributors advice, I think you'd be better off on couch surfing websites where people offer free lodging without offering feedback of a business nature. Hopefully you will see this longer than expected reply as feedback that helps you avoid loosing opportunities in future.

Good-day, Ronan.

Thank you for your comment. I must state, however, that you have misunderstood me.

My name and age are one of the first things mentioned in the OP.

I did consider Danger781's opinion/feedback, and it is acknowledged. That I am convinced of different in no way dictates close-mindedness. We all have different opinions but yet disagree - respectfully.

Dan Pena is convinced work comes first and foremost, but Richard Branson encourages teamwork makes the dream work;. These both are successful individuals with different opinions/values. Though having different applications to business, one does not call out the other as being foolish in his choice.
    My point in case being, not bringing up your religion is a personal decision of yours, even as pointing out mine is (because I consider it an intrinsic part of my life).

Talking about one's belief or not is a personal decision, dear Ronan, not a business policy.
    As a virtuous man would not declare himself single in the midst of other women but clearly show himself married, I mention that I am a Christian. His wife is not a separate entity to Him but, since marriage, a part of Him.

Also, with all due respect, your presumption on my nationality is quite flimsy. I find no need of having to state whether I am Irish or not. It is not necessary for the purpose.

I do not count it a pitch. I merely regarded it as so because Danger781 called it so - I merely stayed on topic.

The accommodator and the intern provider are two separate entities, as I mentioned in the post - a place to stay *whilst* until I get an internship.
    Also, my post was/is not a demand for permanent free residence. My mention of looking for a job pointed that out, I believe.
    Even deciding to allow me stay in for free until I get an internship/job would be a great service and tremendous charity. Surely, I cannot be so selfish as to abuse that selfless act by expecting it remain fixed - NO - I must respect the decision and action of the benefactor by ensuring I get a job and footing in the bill. The cost of rent (if the home be not owned), gas, water, food, and electricity are no joke. I must express my gratitude.
    I supposed I had made all these clear in the OP; I guess not. My sincere apologies.

You seem to have misunderstood what I meant by "as long as it flattens the wallet, go for it!".
    "It makes me rich? Good. God for it! Even though it
    •comes at the severe expense of my employees
    •is me defrauding another
    •involves making dubious deals
    •is illegal
    •etc
    I believe every person, yourself included, would agree with this premise of mine (and its likes)

The reality of there being a good number of business people who point out their religious belief only brings to naught your claim that it does not belong in business.
    Donald Trump, Philip Ng, (the phenomenal) Jim Rohn, S. Truett Cathy, Colonel Sanders, and Pat Robertson - to name a few.
    Also, just as christianity may have been abused (by selfish, self-righteous individuals), politics also has been; education also has been; science also has been; construction also has been; even business also has been - my, the sheer number of indigenous residents who have died from big corporations coming to their lands for the sake of oil, destroying their ecosystem & poisoning their water, leaving the residents in the mercy of disease, hunger, and death.
    We cannot come to exclusively peg a thing based on the foolishness of a handful. As vile persons have abused, in the guise of the tag "Christian", so a great many have done good, walking as true Christians.

My heart goes out to every individual and nation which has lost dearly by the hands of major forces, be it religion or business; but we cannot come to allow emotions as the driving force of reason.

No where in my OP or my response to Danger781 did I state, or even make an allusion, to that claim. I would not dare. I merely, in the former, stated that I am a Christian, and in the latter explained why I stated I am; not once considering others as being inferior or making my beliefs as superior. That would be immature. If not agreeing with greed, covetousness, dubiousness, and immoral schemes is me looking down on people - as opposed to disapproving what is not right - then I fear for humanity's way of thinking.

An advice and a opinion is an advice and a opinion. But to be of the mind that not accepting it is close-mindedness is wrong. Even in business it applies, a million advimes may be given - even good and helpful - but careful not to take all, or risk being confused. That is why having 1 or 2 mentors is all there should be and not 20 industry-expert mentors.

Two persons may, rightfully, respectfully disagree.

Business is not a field one's religious stand is not mentioned, nor to be mentioned. Let us not deem it so.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong in my letting people know I am a Christian; what would be wrong is dominating the conversation with religion and not business.

Again, thank you for your comment. It is much appreciated. Rest assured, I did consider Danger781's comment. My not agreeing is not being close-minded nor is it a vice. There is nothing wrong with disagreement, as long as done respectfully.

Thank you again, Danger781. You too, Ronan. I apologise in whatever way my previous comment may have been misunderstood.

My utmost gratitude for again.

Do have a lovely day.

• Advertisement

I think this is quite an immature reply Lincoln98. Especially since you didn't Mention your full name, Date of Birth or Gender.

Someone has given you feedback and you disagree with it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take it on board and try to see their point of view. The poster has a valid point / opinion and you've chosen not to consider it.

I've never in the course of business brought up my religious beliefs, it just something that doesn't really belong in business - by this I mean I would not (or be allowed to) discriminate on the basis of religion. Yet you believe this is so important you lead with this - others don't. You also chose not to mention your nationality for example, but I'm gonna guess you are not Irish. Or for that matter the other information you mention was important (but probably isn't).

Say someone gave you the charity you asked for (It was not a "pitch" as that implies you were offering value to them by you lodging in their home for free to purse your dreams - you havent mentioned whats in it for the person who would be paying for your lodging) and offered you an internship. Would you start judging their clients as having attitudes of "as long as it fattens the wallet, go for it!" and intend to not associate with them then? Hence insulting their customers and loosing sales for your company?

One General Rule is you don't talk religion or politics outside of specific places where its suitable (church etc). Particularity in Ireland where our History has horrid situations where people have died just because they grew up with a set of beliefs or on a certain side of a road associated with a religion.

Look we aren't saying your religion is a bad thing. What we are saying is legally business people can't make decisions, award contracts or exclude someone from lodging (in the case of a landlord) based on their religion. As such, you shouldn't have led with that or included it in your opening ask. Maybe if it was a couch surfing thread that might be ok, but this is a business forum.

Whats happen here is you've implied that you are in a position to look down on people due to your perceived superior religious beliefs.

This is a learning forum, so if you aren't here to learn about the topic of business and prepared to at least consider more experienced contributors advice, I think you'd be better off on couch surfing websites where people offer free lodging without offering feedback of a business nature. Hopefully you will see this longer than expected reply as feedback that helps you avoid loosing opportunities in future.

Good-day, Ronan.

Thank you for your comment. I must state, however, that you have misunderstood me.

My name and age are one of the first things mentioned in the OP.

I did consider Danger781's opinion/feedback, and it is acknowledged. That I am convinced of different in no way dictates close-mindedness. We all have different opinions but yet disagree - respectfully.

Dan Pena is convinced work comes first and foremost, but Richard Branson encourages teamwork makes the dream work;. These both are successful individuals with different opinions/values. Though having different applications to business, one does not call out the other as being foolish in his choice.
    My point in case being, not bringing up your religion is a personal decision of yours, even as pointing out mine is (because I consider it an intrinsic part of my life).

Talking about one's belief or not is a personal decision, dear Ronan, not a business policy.
    As a virtuous man would not declare himself single in the midst of other women but clearly show himself married, I mention that I am a Christian. His wife is not a separate entity to Him but, since marriage, a part of Him.

Also, with all due respect, your presumption on my nationality is quite flimsy. I find no need of having to state whether I am Irish or not. It is not necessary for the purpose.

I do not count it a pitch. I merely regarded it as so because Danger781 called it so - I merely stayed on topic.

The accommodator and the intern provider are two separate entities, as I mentioned in the post - a place to stay *whilst* until I get an internship.
    Also, my post was/is not a demand for permanent free residence. My mention of looking for a job pointed that out, I believe.
    Even deciding to allow me stay in for free until I get an internship/job would be a great service and tremendous charity. Surely, I cannot be so selfish as to abuse that selfless act by expecting it remain fixed - NO - I must respect the decision and action of the benefactor by ensuring I get a job and footing in the bill. The cost of rent (if the home be not owned), gas, water, food, and electricity are no joke. I must express my gratitude.
    I supposed I had made all these clear in the OP; I guess not. My sincere apologies.

You seem to have misunderstood what I meant by "as long as it flattens the wallet, go for it!".
    "It makes me rich? Good. God for it! Even though it
    •comes at the severe expense of my employees
    •is me defrauding another
    •involves making dubious deals
    •is illegal
    •etc
    I believe every person, yourself included, would agree with this premise of mine (and its likes)

The reality of there being a good number of business people who point out their religious belief only brings to naught your claim that it does not belong in business.
    Donald Trump, Philip Ng, (the phenomenal) Jim Rohn, S. Truett Cathy, Colonel Sanders, and Pat Robertson - to name a few.
    Also, just as christianity may have been abused (by selfish, self-righteous individuals), politics also has been; education also has been; science also has been; construction also has been; even business also has been - my, the sheer number of indigenous residents who have died from big corporations coming to their lands for the sake of oil, destroying their ecosystem & poisoning their water, leaving the residents in the mercy of disease, hunger, and death.
    We cannot come to exclusively peg a thing based on the foolishness of a handful. As vile persons have abused, in the guise of the tag "Christian", so a great many have done good, walking as true Christians.

My heart goes out to every individual and nation which has lost dearly by the hands of major forces, be it religion or business; but we cannot come to allow emotions as the driving force of reason.

No where in my OP or my response to Danger781 did I state, or even make an allusion, to that claim. I would not dare. I merely, in the former, stated that I am a Christian, and in the latter explained why I stated I am; not once considering others as being inferior or making my beliefs as superior. That would be immature. If not agreeing with greed, covetousness, dubiousness, and immoral schemes is me looking down on people - as opposed to disapproving what is not right - then I fear for humanity's way of thinking.

An advice and a opinion is an advice and a opinion. But to be of the mind that not accepting it is close-mindedness is wrong. Even in business it applies, a million advimes may be given - even good and helpful - but careful not to take all, or risk being confused. That is why having 1 or 2 mentors is all there should be and not 20 industry-expert mentors.

Two persons may, rightfully, respectfully disagree.

Business is not a field one's religious stand is not mentioned, nor to be mentioned. Let us not deem it so.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong in my letting people know I am a Christian; what would be wrong is dominating the conversation with religion and not business.

Again, thank you for your comment. It is much appreciated. Rest assured, I did consider Danger781's comment. My not agreeing is not being close-minded nor is it a vice. There is nothing wrong with disagreement, as long as done respectfully.

Thank you again, Danger781. You too, Ronan. I apologise in whatever way my previous comment may have been misunderstood.

My utmost gratitude for again.

Do have a lovely day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Are you American by any chance?

You've missed the point again. Its a business forum. Business people are legally not allowed make any business decisions based on someones religion and If they do it could result in a lawsuit. As such doing this in a business sense is not recommended as it makes business conversations uncomfortable. Saying you are virtuous by saying your religious beliefs upfont, implies the other 99.99999% of people are not by not bringing it. Would you also open with your beliefs on abortion or communism on a first meeting? What about if you were in China at the time like I am now? Would you look down at them and try to convert them to your way of thinking and risk insulting them (and ending up in Jail etc). Surely not.

That's why business people do not to open with conversations that mean the other party immediately is uncomfortable and consider legal issues. Not a good first impression.

Respectfully you need to understand you haven't put your best foot forward and people are trying to help you here. There would be a time to bring religious beliefs up in conversation but leading with it, or opening a CV with it would be an issue for many employers as its highly unusual and limits your choices. If you want to bring it up, be subtle so as not to make your conversation as uncomfortable - for example say hobbies include volunteering at your local church. Its equally clear but far less abnormal to include.

Understood. Thank you, Ronan

Good-day, alroley.

I am not American, no.

Cheers:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I have not read much of the above. The first lesson in doing business in any foreign market is to observe local customs and etiquette. Lincoln 98 you have missed that completely.

I am a huge believer in the economic and social enrichment that can arise from inward migration. However, religious belief, culture, lifestyle all are private affairs in most developed countries and should not be forced on others. Detailing them in a business context is unnecessary, unhelpful and so inappropriate it is plain stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I'm thinking Lincoln is a having a bit of a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ccc2c9767657341679dd698&rid=giphy.gif

Advertisement