Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest v Climote queries

Options
  • 25-01-2019 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I just ordered a Nest learning thermostat for my home to replace the old heating timer on the kitchen wall.  I also have two analogue type thermostats in the house (one in the hall and the other upstairs) The main reason I wanted a smart thermostat is so that I can switch my heating on or off remotely through my phone and control the temperature at the same time.  

However after a bit of further reading up on the Nest I have learned that Nest has a sensor that can tell when you are away and goes into Eco model to save energy but doesn't actually shut the heating off.  Is this correct?  The reason I ask is that I don't really want the heating to stay on when there is nobody at home for hours as it's just wasted energy.  I do however want the ability to switch the heating on remotely say 20 or 30 minutes before someone comes home so that they don't come home to a cold house.  Reading up on Nest it will detect someone coming home and up the temperature when they approach the house but that's not really enough as you are practically at the front door at that stage and the house takes time to warm up.  Maybe my information is wrong but that's the way I understood how it works.

Would a Climote be more suitable for what I want but my only drawback is that Climote uses an outdated GSM SIM card system and an annual subscription which I really don't want these days.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

bazz26 wrote: »

I just ordered a Nest learning thermostat for my home to replace the old heating timer on the kitchen wall.  I also have two analogue type thermostats in the house (one in the hall and the other upstairs) The main reason I wanted a smart thermostat is so that I can switch my heating on or off remotely through my phone and control the temperature at the same time.  

However after a bit of further reading up on the Nest I have learned that Nest has a sensor that can tell when you are away and goes into Eco model to save energy but doesn't actually shut the heating off.  Is this correct?  The reason I ask is that I don't really want the heating to stay on when there is nobody at home for hours as it's just wasted energy.  I do however want the ability to switch the heating on remotely say 20 or 30 minutes before someone comes home so that they don't come home to a cold house.  Reading up on Nest it will detect someone coming home and up the temperature when they approach the house but that's not really enough as you are practically at the front door at that stage and the house takes time to warm up.  Maybe my information is wrong but that's the way I understood how it works.

Would a Climote be more suitable for what I want but my only drawback is that Climote uses an outdated GSM SIM card system and an annual subscription which I really don't want these days.
    The nest can be controlled via the app. Eco mode on the Nest means the heating is off (not consuming anything).

The nest uses a leaning function to pick up when to come on, go off, and what temperate but you can override the control from the Nest or the app. 
    You have the option to switch off the learning function and just use it as a standard time clock like you currently have with a mobile element.

The climate does the same as the timeclock with the app/SMS element. 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Davy wrote: »
    bazz26 wrote: »

The nest can be controlled via the app. Eco mode on the Nest means the heating is off (not consuming anything).

The nest uses a leaning function to pick up when to come on, go off, and what temperate but you can override the control from the Nest or the app. 
    You have the option to switch off the learning function and just use it as a standard time clock like you currently have with a mobile element.

The climate does the same as the timeclock with the app/SMS element. 
    I spoke to Electric Ireland and that is pretty much what they said too.   Thanks for the info and help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi bazz26,

Apologies for the delay.

For any queries about the technical aspect of the Nest Smart Learning Thermostat, just contact Electric Ireland Home Services directly on 1850 372 333 or contact Nest Ireland itself.

We can advise that the Nest thermostat controls one heating zone and hot water, and the Climote controls two heating zones and hot water. Here are the contact details for Climote also.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement