Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portrane/Donabate Commute options

Options
  • 23-01-2019 10:25am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Myself and the OH are hoping to buy our house fairly soon. We'd been looking at D9/D15 mostly due to how familiar we are with them, but as in all those property shows we have some wildcards out in Portrane/Donabate direction.

She drives, so driving from there to Drumcondra/Phibsborough for her would only be marginally longer than from Blanchardstown due to the latters chronic congestion and Navan Road issues.

I know it would take me about 45 mins to cycle from Blanchardstown, and probably a little over an hour from Portrane (circa 25 km). However, I think I'm limited in route options (Turvey Road & Hearse Road), and they both spill out onto awful roads, and in Hearse road the roundabout off the M1.

Does anyone do it, and do it regularly? How do they find it? With the train I wouldn't need to do it every day, but still.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I don't commute regularly on that stretch but have cycled it a good bit. Hearse road will bring you out onto the roundabout alright but you can use the cycle tunnels there to bring you out on the swords side without having to stick to the road if you wanted. From there to the airport then you have a decent enough hard shoulder/bus lane the whole way. Surface isn't great in parts and plenty of roundabouts along it but not the worst route. The only tricky bit I have found is the roundabout at the airport, left lane is for heading back onto the M1 so you need to cross this to get into the proper lane, same on the other side of the roundabout, slip road off the roundabout for cars heading towards the city that you have to cross to get back towards cyclelane/buslane. Other than that I found it a handy enough spin really, cars can be travelling fast enough at the slip roads there but that's worst part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

long term, a cycle bridge is planned to be built alongside the existing railway bridge across the estuary from Malahide to Donabate. that said I don't know how this would change your commute distance wise and the cycling options from Malahide into town today aren't great but it could open things up for you in time.

some background on it here and here
    He added: “The next section intended to be built, across Broadmeadow Estuary, will provide a walking and cycling link where only rail exists at the moment. The other elements of the Sutton to Malahide stretch are currently the subject of design work which will go to consultation later in the year.”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thanks. I'd read about the cycleway alright, it would certainly cut a few kms off and lead me to not need Hearse Road (not a great name for inspiring confidence). Mightn't be great on a windy day.

I'll look at Turvey avenue and keep an eye open for that cycleway. I'd love to be able to use the coastal path, but that's asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

As a regular cyclist on that route. It's not the main road that Turvey Ave and hearse road come out on that I have a problem with,it's those roads themselves. They're narrow with no space at the edges so you have no choice but to mix it with the local traffic. Some of the drivers are very hostile when they see you on a bike on those roads (like they think you shouldn't be there) and some doggedly refuse to slow down from 80-100kph no matter what is happening on the road ahead of them.

If coming from Donabate You can also cut though Newbridge (when it's open) And go up Cobbes lane, which cuts out a lot of a Hearse Road but you still have to deal with the straight part which is where those monkeys can really get nasty. You can cut off about half of that but taking the left turn towards the estuary and then back around by Jones a Garden Centre, which probably adds 0.2 km to your journey but gets you away from the Max Mad nonsense.

I'm always very happy to get out to the main Sword Road because although it's dual carraigeway at least there's hard shoulder there so you can keep some distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Crazy traffic on Hearse Road nowadays due to the amount of construction going on in Donabate/Portrane.

I live out there and im not a big fan of cycling either of the roads, Turvey being the lesser of two evils i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Used to live in the Priory on the Portraine road. Never cycled it when I was there but I know both ways in and out very well and would be hesitant to cycle either On an unrelated note if you do end up being in a car rather than bike I can only envisage gridlock (even with the bypass) in rush hour. At the moment it’s a nightmare due to the amount of houses being squeezed into that peninsula. Over the years it really has lost its seaside town feel.

Cheers for the feedback. Yup, another 1000 houses or so planned, and the new road looks like it''s just diverting one pinchpoint to another one which will be busier.

Fewer direct bus services than before too, and a train that is always wedged. The OH really, really wants us to consider it though. I don't at present drive, and would have zero interest in commuting by car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,962 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Turvey Avenue is fine for cycling. I've been doing it for about 27 years and can only recall a couple of incidents on it (and a few black ice spills).

Hearse Road is much busier and not particularly pleasurable to cycle on.

The rest of the route to Dublin in mainly fine but there are a few places that require a bit of care:

1. The Malahide Road roundabout in Swords. It has 5 exits and 'straight on' is the 3rd exit. Beware of motorists on your right cutting across to take the 2nd exit to Feltrim. Also, for some reason, some motorists emerge from the Feltrim exit onto the roundabout when they don't have right of way.

2. After the Coachman's pub (near the airport roundabout), the left lane becomes the slip road to the M1 so you have to move across to the centre lane. Take care on dark wet mornings with continuous passing traffic. If you signal early and keep looking back, you'll usually get the 'flash' to move across.

3. Just after exiting the airport roundabout, watch for traffic on the slip road to your left as you move across to the bus lane. You can easily end up in that 'no man's land' between two lanes of traffic.

Otherwise it's a handy commute. Plenty doing it daily including a few Boardsies. The 'Skerries Express' group passes the old end of Turvey Avenue at around 7.20am. Hop on the back for a good workout! :)

Weepsie wrote: »
    ....Fewer direct bus services than before too...
    I'm open to correction but there are a lot more bus services now to Swords where there are ample connections to Dublin. (The previous direct buses went via Swords anyway so not much difference in times).

There's someone from the Skerries express working up the road from me alright.

I'm familiar enough with Swords to City Centre, and those roundabouts, but have never done them at rush hour.

Still just an idea for now and needs more investigation. The amount of building in donabate may make it a non goer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've not cycled Hearse Road, but use Turvey for my commute from Skerries to the airport. I've found that the time of day makes some difference. I work lates and up to recently I started at 6pm and the traffic was heavier, plus it was dark. Now I'm starting at 3pm and there's a lot less traffic and it's much nicer to see what's around you. In rush hour you'd be faster on a bike, you just need to be aware of what others are doing, especially at the roundabouts.
    Also, the usual prevailing winds make for good training on one leg of the journey (but usually die down or do a 180 for the return...)

• Advertisement

I've not cycled Hearse Road, but use Turvey for my commute from Skerries to the airport....
    :confused:

Turvey Avenue wouldn't be on your commute unless you are taking a diversion to Donabate and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

:confused:

Turvey Avenue wouldn't be on your commute unless you are taking a diversion to Donabate and back again.

Sorry, I was talking about from Turvey on towards the M1. Should have made myself clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,628 ✭✭✭billyhead

Have to echo whats being said here OP. Hearse road is hairy to say the least especially in the winter. Turvey Avenue would be a less busier road and is wider. As mentioned by Wishbone the Airport roundabout and roundabout at the Pavilions can be tricky negotiate. You just need to take your line with confidence and make sure drivers are aware of your presence. Also use the underpass at the Donabate roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Weepsie, got the train for years, then got a bike. Been commuting on the bike from Donabate to Merrion Sq for 5 years.

Best thing I ever done. Use both Turvey and Hearse rd, but there’s a lot of trucks on the Herase rd. Turvey is better in the rush hour. Agree with Wishbona Ash’s comments. You can also turn at Fingallions roundabout towards Malahide and head for Sutton and the coast, makes a nice change.

Welcome back Puggy - I thought you had left Boards! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Forgot my password, but fingerprint password management on my iPad saved me. Still don’t know my password though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I live in Donabate and have commuted to the city centre on the bike in spring / summer time for the last few years. I roll out at 7am citybound to miss the worst of the traffic. It takes ~ 8 minutes to get from the village to the old N1 / R132 and after that, you've hard shoulder / bus / cycle lanr thereafter. Any later than that and the traffic is markedly heavier to an uncomfortable degree.

On the return journey, I use Turvey because it's straighter and less risky than the Hearse Rd at that time of day.

Be aware that Donabate is ear marked for big development in the next 10 years. Expect the condition of the roads to suffer with the volume of unfettered HGV movements....

.... with the volume of unfettered HGV movements....
    Well in fairness, the drivers aren't driving trucks around Donabate just to burn diesel.

.... with the volume of unfettered HGV movements....
    Well in fairness, the drivers aren't driving trucks around Donabate just to burn diesel.

Nope, they're leaving the place in mess. Have a look at some of the social media pages for the various groups here. Muck everywhere, potholes, subsidence, sunken margins etc. You get my drift ;)

Nope, they're leaving the place in mess. Have a look at some of the social media pages for the various groups here. Muck everywhere, potholes, subsidence, sunken margins etc. You get my drift ;)
    To me 'unfettered' means unrestricted, hence my comment.

If they're leaving a mess, it's up to the construction company to road sweep the area. Hardly the fault of the truck drivers.

• Advertisement

I'm not pointing fingers at individual truckers. There are several large scale developments on the go with no restrictions on the times or quantities of truck movements, nor adequate controls on wheel washes at sites. (Some I believe were included in the original plannings aps and dropped by ABP at appeals stage) I have had to phone the council to ask them to have the road swept after it was carpeted, and to be fair they did that. But these things are a frequent occurrence.

Keeping this on track with cycling, what's going on here with trucks and the general road conditions is important to the anyone who cycles or plans to on that road.

@PukkaStukka,

Thanks for that. That's not unique to Donabate as discussed in other threads. I'm seeing very little evidence of builders/contractors cleaning public roads which their building work is routinely mucking up. It's very much an after thought at present

Weepsie wrote: »
    @PukkaStukka,

Thanks for that. That's not unique to Donabate as discussed in other threads. I'm seeing very little evidence of builders/contractors cleaning public roads which their building work is routinely mucking up. It's very much an after thought at present
    Hope you like the area. This apart, there's tonnes going for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I live in Donabate and have commuted to the city centre on the bike in spring / summer time for the last few years. I roll out at 7am citybound to miss the worst of the traffic. It takes ~ 8 minutes to get from the village to the old N1 / R132 and after that, you've hard shoulder / bus / cycle lanr thereafter. Any later than that and the traffic is markedly heavier to an uncomfortable degree.

On the return journey, I use Turvey because it's straighter and less risky than the Hearse Rd at that time of day.

Be aware that Donabate is ear marked for big development in the next 10 years. Expect the condition of the roads to suffer with the volume of unfettered HGV movements....

For me, there's no much between Hearse Rd and Turvey safety wise. I find Turvey, because it's straight seems to make people put the boot down , as they do also on the straight part of Hearse Rd.

I use Hearse Rd for my return journey, though recently I've taken to waiting at the lights at the roundabout until all the donabate traffic goes on. With the change in the lights in my favour I can then usually get down the straight part of a Hearse Road before more traffic comes behind me. Sometimes I even pull in at the end there and let the traffic go by, not because I think it's my duty to do that, but because I can then get to Cobbes Lane / Newbridge without the stress of being close passed by an angry monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Puggy wrote: »
    Weepsie, got the train for years, then got a bike. Been commuting on the bike from Donabate to Merrion Sq for 5 years.

Best thing I ever done. Use both Turvey and Hearse rd, but there’s a lot of trucks on the Herase rd. Turvey is better in the rush hour. Agree with Wishbona Ash’s comments. You can also turn at Fingallions roundabout towards Malahide and head for Sutton and the coast, makes a nice change.

How long does the commute take you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 crouch147

Got a job in portrane would anyone know any nice places to live near portrane don't know area very well willing to commute 45-50 budget 320k

Advertisement