Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location has disappeared.

Options
  • 08-01-2019 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭

My location has disappeared and I can't find any option in settings to put it back.

Wonder if this is anything to do with the skins problem from earlier?

I'm using vBulletin with white theme

Tried another browser (not logged in) and it's not showing locations either. This seems to be for everyone and not just me.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I can still see your location as "Golgafrinchan 'B' Ark" but I'm on one of the default skins.

What happens if you change to another skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Boards.ie Beta - still no location

Boards.ie New Beta - still no location

Can't see it on my profile on any of the skins either.

I clear out cookies and all stored data in the browser on this computer every day. I only noticed this issue yesterday after the skin issue was fixed, that was on my other PC (Linux, Opera Beta 58) this one is Win 10, Opera 57, but I see the same issue with Firefox 64 on both PCs, not logged in.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

This is not connected to the skins issue. We are removing some user fields as part of our ongoing data audit process as they can contain personal data that we don't require to provide our service. Some other user fields will be removed over the next while too.

That's a shame. I'm sure you know that the majority of people don't fill in their actual location... and of course if they did, it was their choice to do so and they can change or remove it at any time

Another little bit of what made boards fun disappears :(

No doubt this is something to do with GDPR.

Two suggestions:

(a) Reset location and other 'personal data' fields to blank for all users. Allow users to repopulate these fields if they desire, subject to clicking on a disclaimer etc. explaining their rights under GDPR in relation to this data

(b) Blank it out as above, then stop calling it 'location', just allow people have 25 characters or whatever of a free text field above their post count if they want.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions Hotblack, we'll be discussing this issue a bit more here over the coming week(s). That's not to say it'll change but we'll certainly look at other options. As you rightly guessed it is to do with GDPR. Thanks!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This is not connected to the skins issue. We are removing some user fields as part of our ongoing data audit process as they can contain personal data that we don't require to provide our service. Some other user fields will be removed over the next while too.

Hey Niamh, I know this thread is re: the Location tab but the Search function for previous user posts seems to have gone this evening. Is this another GDPR thing or just a technical issue?

There were some issues with the site last night that could have effected this function - it appears to be workng fine now. If it's not back working for you, let us know. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

No locations visible for me. Standard Boards.ie skin on non-responsive site

bennyx_o wrote: »
    No locations visible for me. Standard Boards.ie skin on non-responsive site

As above, it's not a bug but something that was removed deliberately. We'll be discussing this internally, if there is any update we'll post it here. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No doubt this is something to do with GDPR.

Two suggestions:

(a) Reset location and other 'personal data' fields to blank for all users. Allow users to repopulate these fields if they desire, subject to clicking on a disclaimer etc. explaining their rights under GDPR in relation to this data

(b) Blank it out as above, then stop calling it 'location', just allow people have 25 characters or whatever of a free text field above their post count if they want.

This.

Frequenting the weather and infrastructure forums this one-line is extremely useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Yes, please bring it back in whatever kind of form.

It was quite useful for me and i don’t mind giving a little hint of my location. It helps others as well to get a notion when i’m posting in some help forum. Adds to credibility on special topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thanks for the suggestions Hotblack, we'll be discussing this issue a bit more here over the coming week(s). That's not to say it'll change but we'll certainly look at other options. As you rightly guessed it is to do with GDPR. Thanks!

Given how much interest, feedback and discussion there has been on GDPR in the past did no one in the office not think it would have been a good idea to maybe flag such a change to users?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yes! Bring location field back please! Very handy for those currently abroad or posting in certain forums where location is a good thing to have!

Any update on the suggestions for allowing users to put in location in a free text field?

I can still see your location as "Golgafrinchan 'B' Ark" but I'm on one of the default skins.

What happens if you change to another skin?

I was wondering how this happened and now I know. If I open a PM I can see the sender's location! Just not on their actual posts.

sdanseo wrote: »
    This.

Frequenting the weather and infrastructure forums this one-line is extremely useful.

+1.

Only noticed this just now. This could be a nuisance in the weather forum, especially during weather events. Somebody posting "snowing here" is nearly always followed by a number of "where are you" responses if a location is not given in the body of a post/is missing from an ID. This tends to clog up threads a bit. At least if a location option is available it can reduce this happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement