Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 health insurance policies ?

Options
  • 10-01-2019 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭

I have health insurance for my family and I which I pay for. Its a closed group scheme, its expensive but has good benefits but doesnt cover everything eg chiropractor services.
    My OHs job will now pay for health insurance
    I dont want to give up my policy
    My question is can we have two policies at the same time and choose which company we use to claim from ?
    I am aware my husband will have to pay BIK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

Good question and for similar reasons I too would love t know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I'm sure you can have two policies, but probably doesn't make sense, since you can only claim from one.

Usually you can pay the difference to upgrade a policy, so you could pay the difference on your OH's policy and get the same level (or higher) than your closed group policy.

That way it should work out a little cheaper.

Alternatively, you can just tell your OH's work to not put them on their policy and then they won't have to pay bik.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I have been on these 'closed group' schemes without being in the group, just by asking :-).

Health insurance through work is a great benefit. You can generally pay a bit extra and upgrade to the cover you need, and it is still cheaper than paying for the whole thing. The BIK is a red herring - yes, you pay tax, but it is still a benefit and works out far cheaper than buying the insurance yourself.

Advertisement