Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car ideas

• 02-01-2019 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Currently driving a 2012 Skoda Octavia VRS. Looking to change. At the moment I dont really do the miles to justify a diesel as I do around 8-12k Max a year. Obviously that could change.

+ Looking at car with power. 200+
    + Needs to be comfy and Fun
    + 181 or 191
    + Not too much of a Juice drinks as you never know if I might change jobs
    + 40k Budget

Any suggestions?

So far I have considered:

+ VRS 230- 41K new and IMO difficult to justify for just 230 BHP and the drive
    + I40 N- Savage fun but the MPG was shocking. You would need a topaz lorry behind you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

hey bazz

yeah you opened a can of worms there. i have no issue with lack of boot space, however the other half has as we got 2 labs and kids is a possibility. this lack of boot space is currently in negogiation as he purchased a new skoda kodiaq.

those golfs are nice, howver the seat interior reminded me of my grannys old dish cloths ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Specialun wrote: »

those golfs are nice, howver the seat interior reminded me of my grannys old dish cloths ;)

That’s a bit of heritage. The original Golf GTI has tartan seats (and a golf ball gearknob, both golf references)

Mk1 Golf
    C8-AC0-B32-F595-4-BB8-A3-C2-F9-A58-B9923-EB.jpg

Mk7 Golf
    98-C3917-D-DD05-4-DBB-A97-C-F5-DF1762-A6-F2.jpg

hey bazz

yeah you opened a can of worms there. i have no issue with lack of boot space, however the other half has as we got 2 labs and kids is a possibility. this lack of boot space is currently in negogiation as he purchased a new skoda kodiaq.

I was going to say gti too (im biased:D) but you can get a 310bhp golf R estate.
    I think you know but anything 200bhp + is going to be relativity hard on juice!
    As for the dishcloth comment ........your going the right way for a slapped bottom !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Renault Megane GTi 250.

Peugeot 308 GTI.

Skoda Kodiaq VRs. Could be over budget with that last suggestion but you would have your boot space and a big fun car too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Not as powerful but Civic H/B 1.5T has 180bhp & has fairly decent boot space, our lab is fairly comfortable in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AMKC wrote: »
    Renault Megane GTi 250.

Peugeot 308 GTI.

Skoda Kodiaq VRs. Could ge over budget with that last suggestion but you would have your boot space and a big fun car too.

By about 20k?

Ms

bazz26 wrote: »
    By about 20k?

That was meant to be a be there not ge lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Even aside from the price, I can’t see anyone looking for a fun car buying a Kodiaq unless they need 7 seats and believe the RS badging will stop it being a lumbering crossover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

close enough to buying a new vrs. my own has been very good for years so i can trust the car/brand. not a powerfull as some butno exactly a tank either.

i few manual box vrs still around. i think that manual cars mean you engage more with the car.

im just afraid that the manual wont be as attractive from a re-sale point of view as a dsg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Alfa romeo giulia

OP is worried about resale value

Ms

close enough to buying a new vrs. my own has been very good for years so i can trust the car/brand. not a powerfull as some butno exactly a tank either.

i few manual box vrs still around. i think that manual cars mean you engage more with the car.

im just afraid that the manual wont be as attractive from a re-sale point of view as a dsg

If it is what you want then buy it. There will still be people around in a few years that want a proper drivers car with a manual gearbox and not some automated one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

AMKC wrote: »
    If it is what you want then buy it. There will still be people around in a few years that want a proper drivers car with a manual gearbox and not some automated one.

A proper drivers car is an automatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Golf gti gets my vote as well but if boot space is an issue how about a bit older Audi rs4 avant or rs6 avant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭MarkN

Just bear in mind a Golf boot will not take any sort of modern buggy system.

I had to put one of the rear seats slightly forward to fit an Uppa Baby into an R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

MarkN wrote: »

I had to put one of the rear seats slightly forward to fit an Uppa Baby into an R.

I have Out n About Double and Bugaboo single and I fit both into eGolf no problem, not together. I have to take the boot cover all right for the double but no issues

What about the Golf GTE. Would suit your requirements as a hybrid to reduce fuel cost. Over the 200Bhp. You could pick up brand new around 40k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

How about Seat leon cupra 300 in estate form?

Will easier on juice then golf R as its FWD and estate will give plenty of space.
    Ironically Seats don't hold their value, but for some reason all second hand Cupras on Donedeal habe very strong price tags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Have a 182 golf and can fit the Uppababy in the boot.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What about the Golf GTE. Would suit your requirements as a hybrid to reduce fuel cost. Over the 200Bhp. You could pick up brand new around 40k.

Aren’t they a lot heavier than a normal Golf and not that sporty? Haven’t driven one. Interesting suggestion nonetheless.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Aren’t they a lot heavier than a normal Golf and not that sporty? Haven’t driven one. Interesting suggestion nonetheless.

With the battery I would guess they are heavier, how much I dont know

A few people have them on the Electric and Hybrid forum so might be better to ask on it

If charged and taking off using electric it will be faster than the straight petrol, doesn't matter really about weigth

I think it will do about 40km on electric before it kicks back into hybrid mode so some nice savings

Also the system will monitor your jouney and switch hybrid modes to suit the journey which sounds very cool :P

The eGolf drives very much the same as a normal Golf. There’s no obvious weight issues etc

Maybe I had the buggy at a weird angle but it wouldn’t fit.

The eGolf drives very much the same as a normal Golf. There’s no obvious weight issues etc

I love the eGolf, I find it better drive and a lot nipper in town compared to my previous 2ltr Tdi. It struggles once over 100km/h

The eGolf boot is a little bit smaller to a normal golf I think, but I have had no issues with putting buggies etc into it....

I would have mentioned the eGolf but it will not meet the 200Bhp requirement.

If buyer wanted they should be able to reserve the new VW ID Neo in the next few months for delivery late 2019/Q1 2020.

It will be 200Bhp+ and have over 500km range. Perfect for the requirement. Same size as Golf but interior is similar to Passat and bigger boot. Rear wheel drive as well.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Tqw9LX3QE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The boot is smaller in the R than the rest of the Golf range. The boot floor is height adjustable on the rest whereas in the R the 4WD system robs that lower floor space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

High powered BMW 2 series maybe? Isn't there an m235i available?

Any journalists reviewing said the m2 is the new m3, kind of raw and chuckable like the old m3s were. The m3 and m4 have grown up a bit and are more refined.

Not advocating an m2 for you, but maybe a higher powered engine in the normal range of them.

Failing that and if you think the 2 series is a bit small then a 330i or 330e would be good.

I just can't justify recommending the meganes and focus high powered models, a 280-300bhp engine in a family hatch is just never going to resell.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The boot is smaller in the R than the rest of the Golf range. The boot floor is height adjustable on the rest whereas in the R the 4WD system robs that lower floor space.

You just made me feel like I’m actually not losing it. Thanks Joe!!

High powered BMW 2 series maybe? Isn't there an m235i available?

Any journalists reviewing said the m2 is the new m3, kind of raw and chuckable like the old m3s were. The m3 and m4 have grown up a bit and are more refined.

Not advocating an m2 for you, but maybe a higher powered engine in the normal range of them.

Failing that and if you think the 2 series is a bit small then a 330i or 330e would be good.

I just can't justify recommending the meganes and focus high powered models, a 280-300bhp engine in a family hatch is just never going to resell.

M2 is a fantastic car to drive, many probably can’t get past the size of it but they’re class. Still strong money for them used, I don’t think 40k will swing it just yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement