Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

17k to spend with 80k commute

Options
  • 02-01-2019 10:54pm

Whats my options here?
    hope to sell the misuses audi a3 soon and have one electric and one petrol.
    Havent a clue about EVs but can fit a home charger.
    Also is 3 phase charging a possibly ?
    Thanks

edit- that should be 80km ,40km each way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do you have work charging? Do you need two cars or are you changing to one car between you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Whats my options here?
    Thanks

At €17k with an 80km commute you are really only looking at a Leaf or Zoe.

I’d say keep some money in your pocket and spend €10k for an older Leaf and put the €7k towards saving for a long range EV in a few years time.

3-phase charging isn’t available on Leaf in this country. Single phase to 6.6kW is the max at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Whats my options here?
    Thanks

eGolf

You will get 2015 for 17k. It will do 120km in this weather and more in summer.

If coming from A3 the eGolf would be perfect.....

Just get standard home charger, charge at nighttime. I have done over 30k km's on mine and done at home at night.

No need for 3 phase charging, it costs a fortune to install 3 phase.The eGolf is holding it's value as well. They are a rare car but really are brillant.

Mine has adaptive cruise control, self parking, heated seats etc etc.....

Service costs are minimal, I rang VW, quoted 300, told them it was electric...120 euro :-) and that is the "large" service as they put it. You get the Carnet app as well so can preheat etc

No keeping 2 cars ,golf gti and an electric.well 3 of you count the classic!
    I’d be lead over Zoe and hadn’t considered the egolf at all.
    Have 3 phase in work you see so could fit a charger if it made sense

• Registered Users Posts: 64,876 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BMW i3 is also within budget. The newer model can charge 3-phase, but is outside of your budget.

BMW i3 ain't a looker, but is a lot quicker away from the lights than your Golf GTI :D

• Advertisement

No keeping 2 cars ,golf gti and an electric.well 3 of you count the classic!
    I’d be lead over Zoe and hadn’t considered the egolf at all.
    Have 3 phase in work you see so could fit a charger if it made sense

You will charge the car in a few hours at night for about a euro.

I would just install a standard singel phase work charge point, a lot cheaper, and will do the trick as well.....

I have two cars, eGolf for city driving/short trips and a Galaxy for long driving, only have Galaxy for the kids etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Shef, unkel, - you think you can get eGolf or i3 for €17k?

I think it’s a grand or two too far.

I see eGolf in UK for around £17k and an i3 here for €18.5k(19.5 with trade in)

Maybe you could haggle it or wait another few months for change in UK reg and you might get the eGolf down another grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,876 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Under £12k for the cheapest i3 last time I looked. Landed for about €13.5k if you get a cheap flight + ferry. No VRT on the pure BEV. Well under the OPs budget :)

Edit: £12,995 for the cheapest on Autotrader at the moment - they've gone up! Still well under €15k landed...

Linky

KCross wrote: »

Maybe you could haggle it or wait another few months for change in UK reg and you might get the eGolf down another grand.

I would probably take 17k for mine :P time for a swap

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KCross wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20596481

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Under £12k for the cheapest i3 last time I looked. Landed for about €13.5k if you get a cheap flight + ferry. No VRT on the pure BEV. Well under the OPs budget :)

Edit: £12,995 for the cheapest on Autotrader at the moment - they've gone up! Still well under €15k landed...

Linky

I have tried to like the i3, even considered a REx once. But I just can't do it. Too many things with it
    Pram wheels :P

4 seats
    No back windows
    No seperate back doors
    Also just can't get past the look

I like the eGolf because nobody actually knows it is electric. i3 just shouts "look at me I drive electric".....

I had my car 6 months and parked in worked and nobody had an idea it was electric. Just thought I got a nice combustion golf. Some people want to shout electric. I don't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

unkel wrote: »

Linky

If I were gonna go for an i3, I'd try find the extra £1,500 and go for this one.
    The mileage is a bit high, and there'd be a drop of VRT on it. But...
    REx (I know it's technically not needed here)
    DC Charging
    Pro Nav
    Sunroofs....

OP, I took an i3 for an extended test drive last year. They're an awesome machine, and there's genuinely hardly a day goes by when I don't think about getting one.
    I like the looks, and I'd get over the fact there are only 4 seats and the back windows don't open.
    But those bloody back doors would break my heart with the two kids (7 & 10) jumping in and out all the time for school/training.
    So if it's just you and herself, or if ye have young kids where you're getting them in and out of the car anyway, then I'd wholeheartedly recommend the i3.
    But if you're in a similar situation to myself, I'd probably steer clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have tried to like the i3, even considered a REx once. But I just can't do it. Too many things with it
    Pram wheels :P

4 seats
    No back windows
    No seperate back doors
    Also just can't get past the look

I like the eGolf because nobody actually knows it is electric. i3 just shouts "look at me I drive electric".....

I had my car 6 months and parked in worked and nobody had an idea it was electric. Just thought I got a nice combustion golf. Some people want to shout electric. I don't

While I understand your love for golf and the hate for i3...for same reasons you can't accept it...well,I love it.

Probably that stands as age difference or maybe, our mileage !??

Enjoy the Golf,I'm looking forward to my Rex...

rolion wrote: »
    While I understand your love for golf and the hate for i3...for same reasons you can't accept it...well,I love it.

Probably that stands as age difference or maybe, our mileage !??

Enjoy the Golf,I'm looking forward to my Rex...

No need to get defensive, what our age got to do with anything?

I don't hate any car. The major issue with the i3 is 4 seats. I have 3 kids and the only option is to either lose a kid or kill the wife. At the moment I haven't the time to spend 20 years in jail so I went for a 5 seater :P

At the moment I have slotted in a Multimac so I can also carry 4 little ones in the back which is a huge help. No option again in i3

The rest of the "dislikes" are material and it was a tongue in cheek post.

As I mentioned, the fact the eGolf doesn't scream electric is something I like as well.

Also the REx is a hybrid. If going that direction I would buy an Outlander.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Any second hand Zoe would work for a 80km commute, and for much cheaper than 17k (you can get a battery owned one for 12k or 9k with battery lease). No need for 3-phase, single phase is sufficient.

Ning wrote: »
    Any second hand Zoe would work for a 80km commute, and for much cheaper than 17k (you can get a battery owned one for 12k or 9k with battery lease). No need for 3-phase, single phase is sufficient.

Any car will do the 80km

If the OP has 17k to spend then option is spend the cash and get a nice car or hold some cash back and get a less nice car....best option is to test drive all the options and then decide

Me? I would spend the money...haha

You only live once, and a few years driving around in a car you don’t like gets boring quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Any car will do the 80km

If the OP has 17k to spend then option is spend the cash and get a nice car or hold some cash back and get a less nice car....best option is to test drive all the options and then decide

Me? I would spend the money...haha

You only live once, and a few years driving around in a car you don’t like gets boring quickly

Depends on OP. I would rather pick a good value car and keep money on saving account/overpay mortgage than blow the bank on a depreciating asset, but everybody is different in this regards.

Ning wrote: »
    Depends on OP. I would rather pick a good value car and keep money on saving account/overpay mortgage than blow the bank on a depreciating asset, but everybody is different in this regards.

It’s no fun driving a good value car, believe me
    I had option of qashqai or Tiguan, went qashqai and spent 4 years regretting it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,669 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It’s no fun driving a good value car, believe me
    I had option of qashqai or Tiguan, went qashqai and spent 4 years regretting it

Meah they're both not fun vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If you have 17k you could get a 2015/2016 outlander plug in hybrid. It has around 40k range so would get you one way which would be fine if you could charge at work, at worst you would only be burning fuel for a couple of k each way. The GX4 model is well specced. I'm in the same situation as you and would go down that road if I could charge in work

• Advertisement
Advertisement