Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freesat thread

• 02-12-2018 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭

Hi

I don't think there is a thread dedicated to this.

Freesat is a satellite platform owned by the bbc and itv and was created so they could offer their channels through satellite and not be liable for sky's satellite carriage charges.

Most people are using the humax 1100s box though some people are still using legacy boxes.

Freesat offers all the English channels with a 7 day epg and catch up service through the players - iplayer, itv player, c5 player, uktv play (Dave, Really, etc)
    (geographic restrictions apply to players, can't be discussed here).

C4 HD was withdrawn from the platform in a dispute over carriage charges (sd version is still there) and the All4 app was also withdrawn. All other c4 type channels are there but in sd.

BBC1, 2 and 4 are in HD, but BBC3 is only on the player. ITV, C5 and Quest are in HD. Quest carries the Championship soccer highlights plus has acquired Formula E. C5 carries highlights of Premiership rugby.

The box is very similar to saorview's new Connect box (on the saorview side only)

The box above also offers subscription services like netflix, rakuten tv, tv player (eurosport, national geographic, nickleodeon, etc.). Youtube and tv5 monde are also on it.

The latest deal sees STV Player carry some live La Liga and Serie A fixtures (after a deal with Eleven Sports).

This thread is just to provide updates on content leaving or coming to the platform or box launches offering the service.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The box above also offers subscription services like ....

Did you mean to include a link to a specific STB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Did you mean to include a link to a specific STB?

I mentioned the box in the thread - humax 1100s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you get the ancient Foxsat HDR you get a very slow box. If there are too many recordings the menu is unbelievably slow. Like Really. Like you are wondering if the hard drive is on it's last legs slow.

But if you use add ones you get a stupidly flexible box.

Unlike the Linux boxes it just works without any faffing about.
    Channel updates ? Series Links ? Idiot proof ? No worries, bless it's little cotton socks.

Unlike the other Freesat boxes, you can tell it to NOT encrypt HD recordings, it's web manageable, and you can stream recordings ( or look at 0.ts to see live ),

The only complaints are
    - slow menus , hardly surprising for a 2008 box.
    - slow file copying

And some niche issues
    - it only does Now/Next on non-Freesat channels (this is by design) - use a Linux box for these or change to a FreeSat channel after watching Channel 4 HD or SaorSat or Tivusa. DiSEqC works but Freesat timers don't work if you aren't in Freesat mode.
    - it doesn't have Wake On Lan so you need to use the remote to get out of standby unless you told it not to sleep.
    - you might need to reboot a few times to get a TivuSat Cam working. Get a Linux box, but it's impressive that it can work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have both an old Foxsat box and a 1100 in a spare room.

The Foxsat is in the main living room and in daily use. Still going strong.

Interesting to hear about the new generation boxes.

• Advertisement

I've had my Manhattan Plaza HRD for 6 and a bit years but it's never slowed down indeed since one early firmware upgrade it's not missed a beat. Decent box the only annoyance is no way of transferring material to a new box should I get one.

Just an edit....

The 1100s box doesn't carry the TV5Monde app (TV5Monde is now online only) but the France24 app instead, which has news and sports info, videos etc in Spanish and French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just searched and found this thread, wanted to ask a question on the HD channels on Freesat. I have an LG TV with an integrated DVB S2 tuner so I have plugged my Sky dish directly into the TV and run the auto tuning. I get over 100 channels (lots of regional variants) and I can see BBC and ITV HD channels in there but when I select them they won't display. The only HD channel I can get to see is Quest HD. I've checked the stats and I'm getting 100% reception but my signal quality is only between 40 and 45%, could this be the reason why I can't view the HD channels? Or do I need a Freesat card or something like that to see the HD channels, in which case I would need to buy an external box as the TV doesn't allow you to install a card.

A lot of tvs that are sold as 'freesat' don't have the full freesat licence.
    If your tv is picking up hundreds of channels in random order your tv probably just has a normal satellite tuner without the freesat software.

The freesat software will ask you for a uk postcode and will then allocate the channels in order according to that - postcode in London will have the local itv and bbc channels, postcode in NI will have utv and bbc ni.

Your channels would then be numbered
    101 bbc local
    102 bbc2 hd
    200 bbc news
    202 sky news
    300 movie channels
    601 cbeebies
    Etc...

Your signal quality seems poor if your reception is that good. Your dish may be out of alignment.

Just to add to the 1st post...
    Though C4HD was withdrawn from the platform it can still be tuned in the 'other channels' section of the box. This means switching to non freesat mode, tuning in c4hd with its frequency. However, in non freesat mode you don't have record or timeshift functions.

The humax 1100s has 2 satellite tuners, meaning you can record one channel while watching another. You need 2 satellite feeds into the box for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Arciphel wrote: »
    Just searched and found this thread, wanted to ask a question on the HD channels on Freesat. I have an LG TV with an integrated DVB S2 tuner so I have plugged my Sky dish directly into the TV and run the auto tuning. I get over 100 channels (lots of regional variants) and I can see BBC and ITV HD channels in there but when I select them they won't display. The only HD channel I can get to see is Quest HD. I've checked the stats and I'm getting 100% reception but my signal quality is only between 40 and 45%, could this be the reason why I can't view the HD channels? Or do I need a Freesat card or something like that to see the HD channels, in which case I would need to buy an external box as the TV doesn't allow you to install a card.

When you set up your TV did you set the country to Ireland or to the UK. Some LG TVs have freesat built in but you must select UK for it to work.

The only downside with this is that if you are using the terrestrial aerial too the Irish channels will be stored in the 800's but they can be moved manually after the initial setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Yes I have selected the UK as my broadcast location and I entered a London postcode in the setup. I'll try and get someone to re-align the dish but just wanted to check if I needed something else or should I be able to receive the HD channels as-is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

There is no such thing as a Freesat card (the clue is FREEsat).

Maybe the transponder information is out of date in the TV. Check the details on Flysat (or similar) and if it is wrong edit it in your TV. Look carefully at the symbol rates and FEC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

Yes I have selected the UK as my broadcast location and I entered a London postcode in the setup. I'll try and get someone to re-align the dish but just wanted to check if I needed something else or should I be able to receive the HD channels as-is.

I just purchased an LG TV and set up Freesat. The satellite is preset to 19.2e you have to change it to Astra 28. I used Belfast postcode. And manually moved saorview channels to 1,2,3 etc.

If the singal is low it may be to be aligned but check what satellite you're scanning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Gun Monkey

Any recommendations on a cheap freesat box and a recommended retailer for said box,
    I see several mentioned above but im just wondering which gives the most bang for your buck?(links if allowed?) My current box is ancient and i need a replacement.
    Also are E4 and E4 +1 no longer available on freesat? Both channels are blank on my current box. Thanks in advance for any opinions offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭decor58

Gun Monkey wrote:
    Any recommendations on a cheap freesat box and a recommended retailer for said box,
    I have a Humax hdr1100s about 3 years now, never lets me down, 7 day epg, WiFi, Netflix, YouTube, Freetv.ie appear to have the best price around, 240e delivered.

E4 and E4+1 are on channels 122 and 123 on freesat.

Humax 1100s is around £180/€200 on Amazon.

wizardman wrote: »
    I just purchased an LG TV and set up Freesat. The satellite is preset to 19.2e you have to change it to Astra 28. I used Belfast postcode. And manually moved saorview channels to 1,2,3 etc.

If the singal is low it may be to be aligned but check what satellite you're scanning.

Does it take you long to switch between saorview and freesat. Some people have reported problems with the freesat epg on LG tvs.

Does it take you long to switch between saorview and freesat. Some people have reported problems with the freesat epg on LG tvs.

No. Set rte 1 and BBC 1 as a "my channels" ad easily switched

wizardman wrote: »
    No. Set rte 1 and BBC 1 as a "my channels" ad easily switched

Have you 7 day epg on the Irish channels with series link?

• Advertisement

Have you 7 day epg on the Irish channels with series link?

I don't know, I'll check and let you know.

E4 and E4+1 are on channels 122 and 123 on freesat.

Humax 1100s is around £180/€200 on Amazon.

Thanks lads for the replies, as i suspected its my box thats at fault so as those 2 channels are blank now and have been for weeks now. When i googled it, i found some reports of e4 no longer being on freeview so was unsure but thanks for clearing it up for me.
    Are there any cheaper boxes that are reliable, possibly more basic, with less functions for the lower price? Was hoping to spend less.

Gun Monkey wrote: »
    Thanks lads for the replies, as i suspected its my box thats at fault so as those 2 channels are blank now and have been for weeks now. When i googled it, i found some reports of e4 no longer being on freeview so was unsure but thanks for clearing it up for me.
    Are there any cheaper boxes that are reliable, possibly more basic, with less functions for the lower price? Was hoping to spend less.

Is it possible the frequencies changed and your box doesn't update them? I can't see why you would lose just 2 stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I also lost E4 and E4+1 on an older LG with no program guide. Was going to do a reset and a blind scan to see what I could get back. I've messed with the channels using ChanSort and I keep getting the same channels back a the same numbers as I changed them to so have to go a bit deeper.

Is it possible the frequencies changed and your box doesn't update them? I can't see why you would lose just 2 stations.

Possible but unfortunately im not sure is it worth wasting the effort on. The box is old anyway and was a no name cheapie so it no harm upgrade it to something basic but newer i think. Its only for a seldom used extra tv in the house so dont really need an all singing, all dancing box. Something reliable, reasonably fast but basic enough would do fine.

I have had the humax 1100s for a year now and I cannot fault it. Maybe 1 or 2 missed recordings in the whole year. I love its epg. For me it is much better than the mess of an epg that sky is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Does the humax work of satellite dish or internet?

Satellite for TV, WiFi Internet gives Netflix & YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hi I have the Human 1100 how do I add the soirview channels?
    Many thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    Hi I have the Human 1100 how do I add the soirview channels?
    Many thanks in advance.

You can't. Your tv may have a saorview tuner and you could get the channels on that. You will have to switch hdmi sources between the tv and the humax box.

Satellite, though you can view the main bbc channels over the internet as well (if you have access to the iplayer).

You can't - no Irish channels are free to air on satellite and never will be if RTE/SKY have their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Satellite, though you can view the main bbc channels over the internet as well (if you have access to the iplayer).

In the end I paid for nordvpn and use iPlayer on laptop to cast to Chromecast on tv.
    Can you setup a vpn for your router to go through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

In the end I paid for nordvpn and use iPlayer on laptop to cast to Chromecast on tv.
    Can you setup a vpn for your router to go through?

You could but then all your traffic and data is going through that VPN. You could get a mini router for within your own network such as GLi and put vpn on that. I have my 1100s on one and players work fine. I use vpnunlimited on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can't - no Irish channels are free to air on satellite and never will be if RTE/SKY have their way.
    RTE and TG4 are free to air on SaorSat.

It's a spot beam on 9E. Easiest way to set it up is to use a normal LNB to tune in to the German channels and swap over.

You need a KA LNB to receive it. And a Diseqc switch if you are adding it to an existing satellite setup.

Unlike the UK channels the EPG is open so any satellite receiver will get full listing for the week ahead. SKY and FreeSat receivers will ignore the EPG by design.

Ye olde Humax HDR can do Diseqc via secret menu BUT you will be in non-FreeSat mode so you won't get full EPG or Freesat recordings timers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Back at my parents for Christmas. Have them set up with one of the very early Grundig boxes on the sitting room TV. It's been there since beginning of Freesat. I'm surprised at the amount of channels that are no longer on Freesat. The most noticeable is the lack of music channels. There are only 2. On the FTA combi box I have setup in the Kitchen there is well over 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've just reset all the satellite channels to the Freesat numbering for our old LG TV using Channel Sort. Easy enough but does take a while. I don't think its safe to use a Channel Sort file from another TV so I can't post the file but if anyone wants help using Channel Sort let me know.

saorsat? Forgot that back up device even existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

recyclebin wrote: »
    Back at my parents for Christmas. Have them set up with one of the very early Grundig boxes on the sitting room TV. It's been there since beginning of Freesat. I'm surprised at the amount of channels that are no longer on Freesat. The most noticeable is the lack of music channels. There are only 2. On the FTA combi box I have setup in the Kitchen there is well over 10.

I think most of those music channels were connected to C4 who threw the toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 omega99

Anyone know if any of the Freesat branded boxes have an antenna input for a saorview antenna and digital receiver built in so that you can record and rewind saorview as well as satellite?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

omega99 wrote: »
    Anyone know if any of the Freesat branded boxes have an antenna input for a saorview antenna and digital receiver built in so that you can record and rewind saorview as well as satellite?

Thanks.

No such thing. Check out the Tiviar Alpha, an hour or two setting it up initially it can do all you need and more. Full guide here
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057827739/11/#post106783394

omega99 wrote:

I haven't come across such a box, it's generally one or the other. I use a freesat recorder and a bluray player with Saorview tuner and HDD built in, giving the functions you suggest, a one4all remote operates both.

Would a saorview tv give the 7 day epg guide with series link ability?

Add a hard drive - would that allow timeshift?

Would a saorview tv give the 7 day epg guide with series link ability?
    No.

It will have the 7 day EPG.

But you'd most likely have to set a weekly timer and hope the program times don't change.
    Add a hard drive - would that allow timeshift?
    Yes. (depends on the TV but almost all do at this stage)

Launch of the Smithsonian channel on freesat with details on upcoming programmes...
    https://freesatmail.co.uk/48HW-HNSC-C42IPKHUEB/cr.aspx

TruTV is gone, Sony own that slot.

BBC Scotland HD is on freesat - on the 1st page of the epg. 108
    Content on the channel includes the following
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-47345058

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

BBC Scotland HD is on freesat - on the 1st page of the epg. 108
    Content on the channel includes the following
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-47345058

I have Nae Pasaran set for record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Good to see
    Paramount Network now on Freesat Channel 132

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Loosehead

TheDriver wrote: »
    You could but then all your traffic and data is going through that VPN. You could get a mini router for within your own network such as GLi and put vpn on that. I have my 1100s on one and players work fine. I use vpnunlimited on it.

Are you still able to view iplayer? I am also using mini router with VPN but only ITV & My5 will work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement