Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Crown required with Root Canal

Options
  • 15-12-2018 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Is a crown always required if you have a root canal. I went to the dentist and he started the root canal treatment, need to go back in 2-3 weeks time for completion, but then he says that I need a crown. This more than doubles what I was expecting to pay, and I can't afford that at this stage, so may just have the tooth pulled if it is essential. I have emailed him with the question but haven't heard back yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The decay and previous fillings in the tooth, and the hole in it for the root canal access, all lead to the tooth being very prone to catastrophic fracture. A crowns greatly reduces the chance of this.

The stats are that in 5 years 50% of root canal treated teeth without crowns have to be extracted.

I would say that the tooth should have a crown except for a few exceptions mostly trauma related where the tooth is not that compromised.

Sould you bin the tooth because you cant afford the crowns, no. But know you should get it asap and that if it breaks in the interim thats your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

what about an orthdontic band (not sure what that is, but someone mentioned it as a possible option)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Thats only temporary and it doesnt provide the protection of a crown. Used only when a crack is suspected or as a temporary measure until the patient can get a crown ( literally a few weeks. )

• Registered Users Posts: 31 WardonGordon

kig wrote: »
    Is a crown always required if you have a root canal. I went to the dentist and he started the root canal treatment, need to go back in 2-3 weeks time for completion, but then he says that I need a crown. This more than doubles what I was expecting to pay, and I can't afford that at this stage, so may just have the tooth pulled if it is essential. I have emailed him with the question but haven't heard back yet.

Hi Kig,

This question is case dependent.
    The answer to a question like do ALL teeth or do you ALWAYS have to is usually no.

There are many important variables to consider.
    Back teeth take more load and you need quite a compelling reason not to crown a premolar or molar imo.

The extent of the cavity. You might get away without a crown when the filling is only small like literally on the biting surface only. But once the filling goes in between the teeth the chance of the tooth fracturing is greatly increased.

The teeth either side of the root canaled tooth. Are they there? If not the tooth will take more load.

Tooth opposing the root canaled tooth. Is it there ? If not then the tooth will take less load as it won't be opposed.

The answer is usually yes for long term survival of the tooth.
    The above posters statistics dont lie. Same old story, told they needed crown and didn't , now teeth needs extraction due to catastrophic failure. With the root canal cavity the fulcrum changes and they often break below the gum making them difficult or impossible to restore.

Orthodontic band is either for diagnosing cracked tooth syndrome or preventing propagation of crack and can be used to protect heavily restored teeth during the root canal process before crown but they aren't used long term.

Try and get the crown done in a dental hospital.

Advertisement