Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Lidk UK have an own-brand pomegratate juice drink but I have never noticed if it is stocked here.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Products.htm?articleId=5658

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why?

Because I'm trying to avoid foods that contain palm oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

weetiepie wrote: »
    Because I'm trying to avoid foods that contain palm oil?

So am I totally. No way any palm oil will enter my home.

I am doing this for the orang utans.

Utterly lovely creatures and soon the only ones left will be in zoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

is that ban of palm oil going to extend to driving or being a passenger in a diesel car?

https://www.transportenvironment.org/what-we-do/biofuels/why-palm-oil-biodiesel-bad?gclid=CjwKCAiA0ajgBRA4EiwA9gFOR1hPwdy7Xp8MweY5yhFzpvIJqp45hpCrrYUwvUqYkiS6tAPQzbiUcxoC3hsQAvD_BwE

It's good to care about the environment but we are all caught in a giant spiders web of disinformation. Buy locally grown fresh food, think of food miles, buy little or no processed factory food and your body and the planet will be grateful.I think we are all in for a shock if we are to go carbon neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

The chocolate orange honeycomb they have in the Christmas range is gorgeous! The Prosecco marshmallows aren’t nice though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

sillysocks wrote: »
    The chocolate orange honeycomb they have in the Christmas range is gorgeous! The Prosecco marshmallows aren’t nice though.
    Those marshmallows shouldn't be in the specially selected range in the first place, as their main ingredient is glucose-fructose syrup instead of sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am rarely near an ALDI but last week so enjoyed a triple club sandwich... a rare treat..

Also they had sweet potatoes on special at 49 cents. One huge one; weighs 1 kg 600 gms... It is sitting here next to the pumpkin I bought in October! Who needs Christmas decorations? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

sillysocks wrote: »

Looks amazing. Saw they have a prosecco honeycomb too. Not buying it until Christmas week so I don't eat too much of it

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭treenytru

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone know if I can get pomegranate juice in Aldi or Lidl?

Not sure if it helps but I saw some in Tesco the other day...think it was around 1.39 for a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Anybody know if Aldi (or Lidl) do a Kahlua/Tia Maria clone? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

2013Lara wrote: »
    Looks amazing. Saw they have a prosecco honeycomb too. Not buying it until Christmas week so I don't eat too much of it

Didn’t try the Prosecco honeycomb after the Prosecco marshmallows were awful.
    Definitely recommend the choc orange honeycomb though, lovely big pieces of honeycomb and each one is half dipped in chocolate, mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Not regularly, I believe, but Lidl have a coffee liqueur on offer right now, priced around 10 euro for a 500ml bottle. Sorry, can't remember its name.
    EDIT: not so sure, it may have actually been in Aldi. It was on a wooden shelf with special offers in the middle of the alley with alcohols.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kahlua is 18euro in tesco at the moment. There are 10euro off a spend of 45 at the moment in papers, and when you use it you will get 1 or 2 of the same vouchers back with your receipt. This equates to 22% off. so it is like the bottle is 14euro, and is 700ml, so 10euro per 500ml.

Some of the own brand knock offs are lower in alcohol and in smaller bottles, so factor it in. Not sure if they have weaker or stronger flavour too.

Tia maria is 20 in tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone know if I can get pomegranate juice in Aldi or Lidl?

FYI I saw 1 litre bottles of 'pomegranate juice drink' in the drinks chiller cabinet in Tesco for 1.49 today and remembered that someone, somewhere was looking for it.

Only remembered it was a boardsie just now :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irish refined B7 is made using commercial waste cooking oil; similarly E5 petrol here is made using waste from commercial cheese production.

About 60% of all fuel used here is refined here and uses the domestic sources for its bio elements.

The US grows grains for their ethanol elements in E5 and its questionable whether its worse for the environment or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

L1011 wrote: »
    Irish refined B7 is made using commercial waste cooking oil; similarly E5 petrol here is made using waste from commercial cheese production.

About 60% of all fuel used here is refined here and uses the domestic sources for its bio elements.

The US grows grains for their ethanol elements in E5 and its questionable whether its worse for the environment or not.

I have serious concerns how proposals to increase the amount of waste cooking oil in diesels will help environmental concerns tbh

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057929647/1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Just a gentle reminder - this is a thread about product recommendations, not about the environment or anything else. There are plenty of other places on boards for those discussions, so let’s try and keep this thread on-topic. Thanks!

Not regularly, I believe, but Lidl have a coffee liqueur on offer right now, priced around 10 euro for a 500ml bottle. Sorry, can't remember its name.
    EDIT: not so sure, it may have actually been in Aldi. It was on a wooden shelf with special offers in the middle of the alley with alcohols.

Cheers. I'll check both out tomorrow. I only want it for my annual pints of Kahlua, Baileys and milk binge.

rubadub wrote: »
    kahlua is 18euro in tesco at the moment. There are 10euro off a spend of 45 at the moment in papers, and when you use it you will get 1 or 2 of the same vouchers back with your receipt. This equates to 22% off. so it is like the bottle is 14euro, and is 700ml, so 10euro per 500ml.

Some of the own brand knock offs are lower in alcohol and in smaller bottles, so factor it in. Not sure if they have weaker or stronger flavour too.

Tia maria is 20 in tesco.

Unfortunately I live in SuperValu/Lidl/Aldi land so stuff that's not common to the three stores are usually priced at a premium.
    Having said that I got a few bottles of Gordons for €15 last week in SV so it's snakes and ladders I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I got six of the specially selected mince pies.
    I haven't had a mince pie in years but I thought they were very nice.
    Good portion of filling and pastry not too crumbly.
    I'm not sure if that's how they're meant to taste but very tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

ellejay wrote: »
    I got six of the specially selected mince pies.
    I haven't had a mince pie in years but I thought they were very nice.
    Good portion of filling and pastry not too crumbly.
    I'm not sure if that's how they're meant to taste but very tasty!

I had the Specially Selected All Butter ones and they were really good. Probably the nicest shop bought ones I've had this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Loving the new flatbread pizzas. There's a chicken and mango and a meaty one with bbq sauce, really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I love Aldi and i can do a decent shop as well.The steak is the nicest i have tasted anywhere.

I got a few bits in Supervalu the other day.30 euro for half a bag.I was raging.I got loads of stuff in Aldi for that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Agreed on the specially selected mince pies, nicest I've tried so far this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

dubstarr wrote: »
    I love Aldi and i can do a decent shop as well.The steak is the nicest i have tasted anywhere.

I got a few bits in Supervalu the other day.30 euro for half a bag.I was raging.I got loads of stuff in Aldi for that today.

I'd a sirloin last night from Aldi 2.99!!
    It was really gorgeous.

About 4 weeks ago I'd to bring sirloins back to Supervalu they were so fatty and sinewy couldn't eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

The roll out pizza bases in the fridge are lovely.
    Can of tomatoes blended, bit of mozzarella cheese and whatever takes your fancy.
    We usually get a takeaway on a Sunday but the kids have asked for "homemade" pizza for the last 2 weeks.
    They have a sliced chicken breast in the fridge with some Chinese spice coating, it goes very well on the pizza with a bit of pepperoni.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

2013Lara wrote: »
    Loving the new flatbread pizzas. There's a chicken and mango and a meaty one with bbq sauce, really tasty.

Mango on a pizza? This is going to be controversial :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Has anyone seen the Black Forest mince pies anywhere? Neither of the Limerick stores have had them for the last two weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mango on a pizza? This is going to be controversial :D

Thought pineapple was bad:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sesame seed Brioche buns finally show up in Bray, love them.

Advertisement