Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oookla Speedtest on Dell desktop with TP-Link Range Extender

Options
  • 19-11-2018 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

Hi All

No idea if this is the right place but here goes anyway.

On Saturday I put in a TP-Link AC1750 Universal Dual Band Range Extender. This was primarily to increase the coverage for my Dell Inspiron 3000 desktop. I have connected the desktop to the 5G range on the router.

After I put this in I ran an Ookla speedtest. I had been getting ~50MB/sec download and ~20 MB/sec upload. After the installation, the upload speed is the same but the download speed is showing on Ookla as 5MB/sec.

So I tried all the others items on my network, iphone, ipad, laptop and these are all fine, i.e. 50MB & 20MB.

No matter what I did with I could not get the desktop to record anything better than 5MB. I then tried to reset the system and low and behold, the Oookla test remained the same, i.e. 5MB and would not go back to the previously seen 50MB/sec no matter what I tried.

The operation of the desktop seems to be similar if not identical. But the speedtests are completely different.

Has anyone ever seen anything similar?

Any ideas on what I could do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

boccy23 wrote: »
    Hi All

No idea if this is the right place but here goes anyway.

On Saturday I put in a TP-Link AC1750 Universal Dual Band Range Extender. This was primarily to increase the coverage for my Dell Inspiron 3000 desktop. I have connected the desktop to the 5G range on the router.

After I put this in I ran an Ookla speedtest. I had been getting ~50MB/sec download and ~20 MB/sec upload. After the installation, the upload speed is the same but the download speed is showing on Ookla as 5MB/sec.

So I tried all the others items on my network, iphone, ipad, laptop and these are all fine, i.e. 50MB & 20MB.

No matter what I did with I could not get the desktop to record anything better than 5MB. I then tried to reset the system and low and behold, the Oookla test remained the same, i.e. 5MB and would not go back to the previously seen 50MB/sec no matter what I tried.

The operation of the desktop seems to be similar if not identical. But the speedtests are completely different.

Has anyone ever seen anything similar?

Any ideas on what I could do?

Would you not have gotten a power line adapter and just wired the desktop into it?

Generally range extenders are not recommended. This is a pretty simple explanation of the options https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/extend-wi-fi-3593058/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭boccy23

I have two different power boards and although there is a link over, the speeds through this are drastically reduced.

Had tried that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Looks like you've got some pretty good insulation or some hefty wireless interference.

Best to run a cat5e/cat6 cable.

Wireless and powerline are always last resort and never really reliable. At least not if you expect to see the full speed.

/M

I suppose what makes least sense is that the upload speed of approx. 20MB/sec is still the same but the download speed shows a drop from 50MB/sec to 5MB/sec.

Any ideas why this could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, that might be slightly indicative. Typically Wifi will operate are similar rates in both directions.

If your data plan on your phone allows for it (not responsible for any bills you incur) I'd hotspot from that in the same room as the Dimension and test. If it shows similar(5Mb D, up fine) look for VPN or proxy servers configured typically to watch TV illegally.

• Advertisement

Ok, this is getting really annoying! I tried some things and nothing worked, so I have taken the TP-Link range extender out of the loop.

I am now still getting ~5MB/sec where I was getting ~50MB/sec before I had it in the system at all.

I have reset the router and reset the 5G connection but the same.

Any thoughts from anybody?

I have connected my PC direct to the Router now and it still shows this <5MB/sec even though all other items on the network are showing 50MB/Sec. At a loss at this stage.

I got help on the Dell support line and they recommended to remove a programme called Smartbyte. This solved the issue! No idea why or what this did, but I'm happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

boccy23 wrote: »
    I got help on the Dell support line and they recommended to remove a programme called Smartbyte. This solved the issue! No idea why or what this did, but I'm happy!

A search online shows lots of similar complaints and even complaints of it reinstalling itself on Dell PCs after it being removed

Yeah, saw similar once I had de-installed it.

Seems to re-install periodically based on Dell updates so I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Advertisement