Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Offer — Will it work in a cottage that has dual Oil and Back Boiler stove?

Options
  • 14-03-2018 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

As the titles says, I'm thinking of going for the Nest thermostat offer with Electric Ireland.
    I already have a pretty smart home and was hoping to expand into the heating control too.
    I'm not very plumbing/electric savvy so was just wondering if my configuration suits the Nest:

I have a standard oil burner for the heating, with a thermostat/timer in the hot press that I set the time on manually each day and the oil comes on. In the evenings, I turn that heating off and light my 21kw stove which has a back boiler. This, for the most part, then takes over the heating for the evening, but sometimes, if the fires not hopping, I turn the oil heating back on for an hour or whatever later in the night.

Do you think the Nest would work with my system? I understand that it obviously cant control the back boiler and will only work with the oil/hot water control. But will back boiler being present prevent me from getting an installation at all?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige B

Hi there,

Thanks for your message.

Here in the Social Media department we have limited access regarding the Home Services system, with regards to the Nest Learning Thermostat. However, we will provide you with as much information as we can.

The Nest Learning Thermostat works with a number of heating systems, including gas, and oil The presence of a back boiler should not affect the installation of the thermostat.

For further information regarding the service, we strongly recommend calling the dedicated Electric Ireland Home Services team on 1850 372 333 (they are available to call from 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday).

We hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Thank you for the quick reply Brige! That's all I needed to know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Glad to read it Fatal Except1on - we will pass your thanks to Brige!

Thanks,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Just to update for anyone who comes across this:

Electric Ireland came to do the install but was an immediate no-go due to the presence of the back boiler. Disappointed I am, but...ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

Is this definitely the case? I have just installed zoned heating and this week am having a stove with back boiler installed  I have paid for the Nest (Electric Ireland) and was just waiting until the stove was fitted before I schedule the installation of the Nest with Electric Ireland. 

• Advertisement

Hi jonnyha,

Thank you for getting in touch.

It is best to check each individual case with the dedicated Home Services team on 1850 372 333 (open until 6pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays). Even if the technician comes to your home to install it, and upon assessment concludes the heating system is not compatible, you would be refunded immediately.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Entonces

I have a back boiler and had a Nest nstalled by electric ireland recently with no problem. It works great. Maybe it's to do with the plumbing set up in your house  but for me having a back boiler wasn't an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

Hi jonnyha,

Thank you for getting in touch.

It is best to check each individual case with the dedicated Home Services team on 1850 372 333 (open until 6pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays). Even if the technician comes to your home to install it, and upon assessment concludes the heating system is not compatible, you would be refunded immediately.

Best regards,
    Una
    I called and after being put on hold a number of times was told a technician would ring me to discuss. Nobody called. I then emailed home services last Friday but nobody replied.

Very poor service  

Hi jonnyha,

We are very sorry to read of your unhappiness with your customer experience.

The Home Services team are experiencing very high query volumes at present, so you should hear from them soon. A telephone call may come from a blocked number.

We recommend sending an email to shop@electricireland.ie also. It may be most ideal to book the installation - an assessment for compatibility will be carried out as part of this, and if the heating system is not compatible, you will be refunded.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jonboy24

@entonces would you have more details about your set up or pictures of the wiring ?

Reason I ask is I’ve the same set up as yourself and having trouble trying to get the nest installed.

I moved house which is oil and just had a back boiler installed but keen to have my nest installed for the oil controls, would appreciate any help you can offer

• Advertisement
Advertisement