Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-09-2018, 16:53   #46
Claw Hammer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
The landlord doesn't need the tenants' acquiescence in this particular scenario. They can text ahead on the day before they pop down and don't have to wait for a response.

If the tenant doesn't want it, they can let the landlord know. But unlike access to the inside of the property, they landlord doesn't need permission to enter onto the curtilage.

That is, presuming he's talking about the front of the house and not the back as well.
No one ever said the landlord needs the tenants acquiescence. What if it rains and the landlord doesn't come he then has to give another text for another day since he can't rely on the previous text didn't show up?
Claw Hammer is offline  
Advertisement
13-09-2018, 16:57   #47
TheBoyConor
Registered User
 
TheBoyConor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 833
Landlord comes and cuts the grass whenever.
Came to replace a smashed window another day after a stone flew from the mower the previous time he cut it.
Doesn't bother me.

Actually, one time we had a minor leak and he was to come around to fix it but didn't say a specific day or time just "some day". My housmate was off work that day and is a big strong bodybuilder guy and not a type to take any crap. He was in his room. As landlord was coming in the hallway my housemate was coming out of the room onto the landing. They both stopped stunned and stared at eachother up/down the stairs for a moment. The landlord wasn't expecting anyone to be home. Housemate didn't recognise landlord as he had never met him in person. His first thought was that it was a burglar coming in as landlord was wearing rubber gloves, ready to deal with the leak. Housemate moved to the stairs ready to confront or beat the landlord until the landlord panicked and pleaded with him "oh no, no! It's ok, I'm the landlord, I'm the landlord, its OK"
This all happened within a space of 3 or 4 seconds.
So yeah, there can be misunderstandings....
TheBoyConor is offline  
Thanks from:
13-09-2018, 17:05   #48
seamus
Dental Plan!
 
seamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 59,870
Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
No one ever said the landlord needs the tenants acquiescence. What if it rains and the landlord doesn't come he then has to give another text for another day since he can't rely on the previous text didn't show up?
My point is that texting the night before is overkill. He can send a text that morning when he knows how the day is panning out.

If the tenant doesn't like it, he can cut his own grass.
seamus is offline  
13-09-2018, 17:22   #49
TomOnBoard
Registered User
 
TomOnBoard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ensic15 View Post
He is not obliged to give the tenant notice. Under the RTA he is obliged to maintain the lawn unless the contract provides otherwise. She can undertake to cut it herself or pay to have it cut if she doesn't like him coming.
I would agree with this. If it was being cut by a gardens service, they would just turn up within broad timing parameters.

However, it may be for example that she has an infant whose sleep would be disturbed.. That might justify different arrangements for a while??
TomOnBoard is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2018, 17:25   #50
TomOnBoard
Registered User
 
TomOnBoard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryforde80 View Post
Making a mountain out of a moehill here to be honest.
There are no moles in Ireland so that's not possible...
TomOnBoard is offline  
Advertisement
13-09-2018, 17:28   #51
ELM327
Registered User
 
ELM327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ensic15 View Post
He is not obliged to give the tenant notice.
Under the RTA the tenant is entitled to uninterrupted use of the property.
Having the LL on the property is interruptiung the use.

Notice is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ensic15 View Post
Under the RTA he is obliged to maintain the lawn unless the contract provides otherwise. She can undertake to cut it herself or pay to have it cut if she doesn't like him coming.
Correct.
But whatever she does does not absolve the LL from his obligation.
ELM327 is offline  
13-09-2018, 17:31   #52
K.Flyer
Registered User
 
K.Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,867
People in apartment complexes don't get notice that the grass is going to be cut or bushes cut back on certain days, although they will notify when painting or window cleaning is scheduled.
She is lucky that the L.L. is tending to the gardening, as most don't.
K.Flyer is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2018, 19:11   #53
Edgware
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Flyer View Post
People in apartment complexes don't get notice that the grass is going to be cut or bushes cut back on certain days, although they will notify when painting or window cleaning is scheduled.
She is lucky that the L.L. is tending to the gardening, as most don't.
She'd have another whinge if he didn't
Edgware is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2018, 19:23   #54
4ensic15
Registered User
 
4ensic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELM327 View Post
Under the RTA the tenant is entitled to uninterrupted use of the property.
The tenant is only entitled to peaceful enjoyment. The LL is obliged to maintain the exterior. Only if he is abusing the right such as coming excessively would the tenant have grounds for a complaint. You should try reading the legislation some time.
4ensic15 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 09:55   #55
ELM327
Registered User
 
ELM327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ensic15 View Post
The tenant is only entitled to peaceful enjoyment. The LL is obliged to maintain the exterior. Only if he is abusing the right such as coming excessively would the tenant have grounds for a complaint. You should try reading the legislation some time.
You should try the enjoyment of polite non-aggressive discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Flyer View Post
People in apartment complexes don't get notice that the grass is going to be cut or bushes cut back on certain days, although they will notify when painting or window cleaning is scheduled.
She is lucky that the L.L. is tending to the gardening, as most don't.
That;'s because it's not part of the property.
In an apartment the central areas are property of the OMC
ELM327 is offline  
15-09-2018, 07:28   #56
DubJJ
Registered User
 
DubJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 74
I have to admit I'm amazed at some of the responses on this thread, we live in an age where everybody has a mobile phone and a text message takes seconds and costs nothing!
I don't think it's ok for somebody to turn up at my home anytime they want, where my wife and kids might be alone and startled. We are all entitled to walk around our home in our underwear or let the kids get dressed without the fear of somebody peering through the window or wandering around the garden unannounced.
I respect that this landlord takes pride in their property and I commend them for taking responsibility for the garden, but surely out of common courtesy a simple text message before hand would be the least that a tenant could expect.
Forget the legalities or tenant/landlord rights, we are talking about people just respecting each others boundaries!
DubJJ is offline  
15-09-2018, 09:16   #57
Cows Go µ
Registered User
 
Cows Go µ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 737
In my last rented house, the landlord had a guy who would come over to cut the grass. I was thankful but he refused to give me any notice. Which was really annoying because I had 2 dogs so I would have done a poo lift in the garden if I knew someone was coming (I did it quite often but I'd prefer to have it completely clear)
Cows Go µ is online now  
15-09-2018, 09:32   #58
4ensic15
Registered User
 
4ensic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubJJ View Post
I have to admit I'm amazed at some of the responses on this thread, we live in an age where everybody has a mobile phone and a text message takes seconds and costs nothing!
I don't think it's ok for somebody to turn up at my home anytime they want, where my wife and kids might be alone and startled. We are all entitled to walk around our home in our underwear or let the kids get dressed without the fear of somebody peering through the window or wandering around the garden unannounced.
I respect that this landlord takes pride in their property and I commend them for taking responsibility for the garden, but surely out of common courtesy a simple text message before hand would be the least that a tenant could expect.
Forget the legalities or tenant/landlord rights, we are talking about people just respecting each others boundaries!
If something happens reasonably frequently nobody will be startled. Walking around the house in your underwear is giving bad example to children. Underwear is just that - underwear and should not be used as outerwear.
4ensic15 is offline  
15-09-2018, 09:41   #59
DubJJ
Registered User
 
DubJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ensic15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubJJ View Post
I have to admit I'm amazed at some of the responses on this thread, we live in an age where everybody has a mobile phone and a text message takes seconds and costs nothing!
I don't think it's ok for somebody to turn up at my home anytime they want, where my wife and kids might be alone and startled. We are all entitled to walk around our home in our underwear or let the kids get dressed without the fear of somebody peering through the window or wandering around the garden unannounced.
I respect that this landlord takes pride in their property and I commend them for taking responsibility for the garden, but surely out of common courtesy a simple text message before hand would be the least that a tenant could expect.
Forget the legalities or tenant/landlord rights, we are talking about people just respecting each others boundaries!
If something happens reasonably frequently nobody will be startled. Walking around the house in your underwear is giving bad example to children. Underwear is just that - underwear and should not be used as outerwear.
What a ridiculous argument, do you actually have any sensible reason why a text message couldn't be sent first?
DubJJ is offline  
(3) thanks from:
18-09-2018, 16:20   #60
The_Conductor
Moderator
 
The_Conductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 27,332
This exact query comes up periodically in this forum for example here
The_Conductor is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet