Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do I get a car on finance?

Options
  • 04-09-2018 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My situation at present is that i have 4 children, 1 has cerebral palsy but doesnt require a wheelchair and the 2 middle children are autistic.
    At the moment we have a 7 seater family car which is due its nct.
    The car is quite old and the cost to repair the car is more than its worth.

I currently work but only part time and my hours are very few a month.
    Sometimes i can work 60 hours a month most time its usually 20 to 25 hours a month.
    We rely on social welfare payments. Ive tried to get a car on finance but social welfare payments are not considered a source if income and the loan cant be based against my wages because i dont earn enough.

Is there any way around this or does anyone know of a better way to fix my problem?

I cant get any more from my local credit union. We have had loans from them over the past 8 years.
    Some small loans and a few big ones. These all include paying for special treatment for my son to help fix the scoliosis in his back and the help develop his body because of the cerebral palsy.

This help was not covered by hse or any governing medical body so had to be paid by us which cost €8000 a year.
    We did it for 3 years. Hence the big loans. Another loan was for the car were driving now.

Our present car at the moment is problem after problem. Theres a short somewhere in the wiring causing the lights not to work properply, there are numerous oil leaks, the drivers seatbelt is held together by electrical tape.
    The list is endless. A mechanic would have to be working on it solid for a week to get it nct ready and i can't afford to pay for the labour let alone the parts.
    We have been looking to upgrade to a 9 seater for more room for the kids.

I'm looking for maybe €8000 to get something halfway decent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How much finance do you need? Have you tried your local credit union for a loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

What's wrong with the 7-seater?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, your best talking to your local credit union. They are usually great to work with in situations like yours.

What car do you have now? Make, model, mileage.

Has it failed its NCT? If not, when is it due?

What kind of mileage do you do now? What types of trips? Are you living in a city or rurally?

The big question is how much can you afford to spend in total each month, without fail, to run a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

OP, judging from what you have said, you can't afford a new car on finance. It's not a good idea to borrow money and put yourself under strain when you already have a working car. Drive your current car until the wheels fall off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

From the sound of it your back is against the wall more than you admit to yourself. It is very very unlikely that anyone will finance you in the situation described. And if someone does they won't offer decent conditions and by the sound of it you're already overstretched a good bit anyway. Don't make a bigger hole for yourself.

What I'm saying is I don't think you can operate under the idea of 'the repairs will cost more than its worth'. Right now the way you have to think is 'the repairs will cost less than a replacement'. I think you need to forget about a new car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

Buy a cheap 7 seater with nct if repair costs are too much on your own car

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I've heard that subprime loans are out there on car finance. Look OP, you want to borrow 8K, the cost of repairs will be a lot less than that so save up and get the repairs done and forget about getting more loans!

Advertisement