Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Presidential Election Thread(read op b4 posting)

Options
  • 02-09-2018 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

The Presidential election is coming up and everyone and their dog is throwing their hats in the ring.

This thread will be a civil discussion of those candidates.
    Any abuse of the people will be hammered by us.

On a personal note I think we should elect Vladimir Putin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Has Dana thrown her hat in the ring yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

Am I alone thinking that SF are showing utter disrespect for the office of the Presidency, despite all their talk, by not nominating their candidate by now? They appear to think it is acceptable to leave it till the last minute as if, IMO, they are afraid that scandal will be drawn on whomever it is that they cannot deflect....

I do think that the Trumpism of the US has now, and unfortunately always will from here on, allow for "celebrity" nominations of the moment and that in general, someone who understands the day to day management of the office, is lost on the younger generation. I do know that there is little "power" to the office, but we as a people and democracy, have to be proud of the person in the Aras. The Trumpism is now a worldwide epidemic with positions of note imho.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I just found out the other day that Ireland almost had its first female President in 1974. It didn't happen because of a half-deaf Fine Gael cabinet member.

All parties had secretly agreed to nominated Erskine Childers wife to take over his role after his death, but stuff happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

As I hear it, SF are holding so as to secure a high profile celebrity candidate. The candidate in question has apparently tried to run unsuccessfully in the past as an independent candidate, has a background in children's TV and is a former Eurovision contestant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Say it ain't so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

As I hear it, SF are holding so as to secure a high profile celebrity candidate. The candidate in question has apparently tried to run unsuccessfully in the past as an independent candidate, has a background in children's TV and is a former Eurovision contestant.

Dustin?

Krispie wrote: »
    Am I alone thinking that SF are showing utter disrespect for the office of the Presidency, despite all their talk, by not nominating their candidate by now? They appear to think it is acceptable to leave it till the last minute as if, IMO, they are afraid that scandal will be drawn on whomever it is that they cannot deflect....

I do think that the Trumpism of the US has now, and unfortunately always will from here on, allow for "celebrity" nominations of the moment and that in general, someone who understands the day to day management of the office, is lost on the younger generation. I do know that there is little "power" to the office, but we as a people and democracy, have to be proud of the person in the Aras. The Trumpism is now a worldwide epidemic with positions of note imho.:(

Less time for any unsavory stories to be dug up about them I’d imagine?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Dustin?

He never brought the dart from Dublin to Dingle- empty promises just like all the others

• Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Give me the job and i'll turn this place around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

not sure if this has been on here already[i'm sure i'll be told] do people think it's right for these so called 'Business Men' to be allowed to run for President? i have a feeling there in it for themselves, would they know the history of the country, can the make a speech in Irish? I think when they go to another country for a trip they would be trying to round up business for their own companies.I would rather see an ordinary person get the job;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Let's just allow someone you like to run for the job
    That would be the fairest FFS

Edgware wrote: »
    Let's just allow someone you like to run for the job
    That would be the fairest FFS

there now that's me told.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Anyone who qualifies can run, At the end of the day it is up to the people to vote in who they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

To be fair, if I hear another baldy/ing (I am myself) cnt talkinig about visions I'll put my foot through the telly

If anyone can tell me why men/women in their 50s and below with at least now 20+ years work left in them want this gig?...
    Huh?
    Yeah, we know the type with their visions.

Visions of a hefty salary, free gaff and unreachable to the actual citizens, an over generous pension for life...+ a cop assigned to them for life (importance)

Vote NO!¬

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    To be fair, if I hear another baldy/ing (I am myself) cnt talkinig about visions I'll put my foot through the telly

If anyone can tell me why men/women in their 50s and below with at least now 20+ years work left in them want this gig?...
    Huh?
    Yeah, we know the type with their visions.

Visions of a hefty salary, free gaff and unreachable to the actual citizens, an over generous pension for life...+ a cop assigned to them for life (importance)

Vote NO!¬

Thank you 'SIR':cool:

decky1 wrote: »
    not sure if this has been on here already[i'm sure i'll be told] do people think it's right for these so called 'Business Men' to be allowed to run for President? i have a feeling there in it for themselves, would they know the history of the country, can the make a speech in Irish? I think when they go to another country for a trip they would be trying to round up business for their own companies.I would rather see an ordinary person get the job;);)

There's a wino on the corner with a solid patter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Why would yer average 'ordinary person' have a better knowledge the history of the country, or a better grasp of the Irish language than a business man?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Anyone who qualifies can run, At the end of the day it is up to the people to vote in who they want.

well actually that's not the case

politicians control who gets to run

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any citizen over 35 can, and should be able to, run for President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I read of a good voting strategy on another site, vote for the oldest so ot will end up costing less for future pensions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If the political parties won't nominate candidates then it'll take the likes of business men to afford a campaign that runs to about €500,000. Their business background doesn't negate their ability to fulfil the role, has no bearing on their knowledge of the country's history nor their prowess in Irish - not that there should be any prerequisite to be fluent in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I will be voting for president Higgins.
    He has proved himself very capable of representing our country abroad and with welcoming heads of state here.
    Thete is no way on gods earth. I would vote for any of the other candidates.

Not one of them could possibly impress me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I will be voting for president Higgins.
    He has proved himself very capable of representing our country abroad and with welcoming heads of state here.
    Thete is no way on gods earth. I would vote for any of the other candidates.

Not one of them could possibly impress me.

I was particularly proud of his brown nosing of a dictator of a failed state.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am thanking my lucky stars that Dana is not running.
    Remember that ‘assasination attempt ‘ last time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

After the poop-storm last time , I'm not bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

The dragons make me shudder. One of them running I can handle – but three? Three f***ing dragons? What the hell is going on? It's not a bit normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,669 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The dragons make me shudder. One of them running I can handle – but three? Three f***ing dragons? What the hell is going on? It's not a bit normal!

Are you saying it's unnormal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I don't like any of the current candidates or outlyer hopefuls.

We should get Dustin the turkey or one of those Eurovision simpleton failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,669 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Chewbacca wrote: »
    I don't like any of the current candidates or outlyer hopefuls.

We should get Dustin the turkey or one of those Eurovision simpleton failures.

What age is Dustin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Threads merged.

Advertisement