Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin port tunnel closed both directions

Options
  • 29-08-2018 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭

The Dublin port tunnel is closed in both directions. Anyone know has happened to close out both ways? But seeing anything on the main media outlets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Anyone know much about today's port tunnel fiasco?

I'd love to know why it took so long to get the tunnel open again. All I see mentioned is truck with unsecured load.

Am I being totally naive thinking all was needed was to load the fallen stuff onto original or new truck, strap it down well and drive off. Maybe a bit of debris to clean up.

But six hours!! I can't figure it out.

And why did both bores have to close?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sbs2010 wrote: »

I'd love to know why it took so long to get the tunnel open again. All I see mentioned is truck with unsecured load.

Am I being totally naive thinking all was needed was to load the fallen stuff onto original or new truck, strap it down well and drive off. Maybe a bit of debris to clean up.

Wiring was pulled down so had to be tidied up.
    Its closed again for follow up from 9pm till 3am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

It's one of those automatic independent light generators with a dusk sensor.It felt twas a bit too dark in the port tunnel so it started to extend and fire up.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Why were both bores closed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Why were both bores closed?

There are doors inbetween bores. Evacuation and Emergency access is done from the unaffected bore for obvious reasons.

The second bore is a safe, clean, smoke free environment for crews to prepare in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

sbs2010 wrote: »

Have you managed many tunnels yourself?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i cycled home over the east link (northbound) yesterday evening. given the traffic, you might have expected some gardai on had to direct HGVs, etc., but there was nary a sign of one. traffic wasn't actually too bad on approach to the east link from the south, but from the east link up east wall road was very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

i cycled home over the east link (northbound) yesterday evening. given the traffic, you might have expected some gardai on had to direct HGVs, etc., but there was nary a sign of one. traffic wasn't actually too bad on approach to the east link from the south, but from the east link up east wall road was very heavy.

Took me an hour to get from glass bottle site to the end of east wall road. Saw a garda traffic corps car sitting watching. Not actually doing anything! Just watching! Really needed gardai at the start of East wall road and at the roundabout at the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Was in town yesterday and the tunnel being closed turned the whole lower gardiner/amiens street area into an utter diaster. Traffic through that part took 30m to get through and no coppers about able to help. What's worse it alot of the delays were being caused by trucks turning onto the bridge over the liffey but not gettin across and some were blocking 3 lanes of traffic causing everything to get backed up and unable to get through when the lights changed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the traffic this evening - given the return of the schools, and thursday evening being the busiest evening of the week for traffic usually - was weirdly light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

the traffic this evening - given the return of the schools, and thursday evening being the busiest evening of the week for traffic usually - was weirdly light.

Not all schools were back on the Thursday. The following week (this week) is when traffic begins to return to normal non-holiday levels.

Advertisement