Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-08-2018, 17:07   #1
banjolin

Rain all day but nothing on radar or forecast

Could someone explain to me how, despite there being nothing on radar and the forecast has no rain for West Waterford, it has been lashing here all day with no sign of it letting up? It may look heavier than it is because of the wind but it is horizontal drenching rain.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-08-2018, 17:30   #2
pawdee

It's God's will and not for us to try to understand.
02-08-2018, 07:40   #3
M.T. Cranium

If really not on radar, sounds like heavy drizzle from marine layer that might be too shallow for Shannon-based radar to show much of a return. Must admit, on holiday and not into the current weather pattern very much, perhaps other forum members will have a better answer.
(5) thanks from:
02-08-2018, 09:24   #4
banjolin

I suppose it could be described as heavy drizzle, but emphasis on heavy, and it was relentless. The reason it is an issue for me is that I was scheduling outdoor work and based on the forecast and radar I gave the go ahead and it was a total washout. I wasn't aware that this type of precipitation was under the radar.
02-08-2018, 09:27   #5
skeleton_boy

I noticed the same thing happening here in Cork City yesterday. The precipitation could have been described as a heavy drizzle so maybe the above explains it?
Advertisement
02-08-2018, 11:47   #6
Wanderer78

Sounds like heavy drizzle, if so, seems very difficult to predict from models, and to detect via radar. Can be a pain in the arse
02-08-2018, 11:51   #7
Alanstrainor

Yeah I find the met radar does not pick up on drizzly rain, it's a limitation of the tech I suppose.
02-08-2018, 11:53   #8
DOCARCH

....in addition, Waterford is a bit of a rainfall radar black spot. Coverage for Waterford not good!
02-08-2018, 15:13   #9
Sycamore Tree

Drizzly rain in Galway all day but there was nothing on the radar earlier. There is now.
Advertisement
02-08-2018, 16:32   #10
Rebelbrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCARCH View Post
....in addition, Waterford is a bit of a rainfall radar black spot. Coverage for Waterford not good!
Twas the same in Cork city all day and evening. Had me flummoxed
03-08-2018, 10:25   #11
banjolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium View Post
If really not on radar, sounds like heavy drizzle from marine layer that might be too shallow for Shannon-based radar to show much of a return. Must admit, on holiday and not into the current weather pattern very much, perhaps other forum members will have a better answer.

I would have said that being in a radar blind spot could be an issue because we are in the Nire Valley, but as the phenomenon apparently wasn't limited to just this area (and we have a fairly clear line of sight to Shannon) it seems that heavy drizzle from the marine layer (assuming this is quite low) is the real issue. We are prone to weather that rolls in from the coast between the Comeraghs and the Knockmealdown mountains. Galway and Cork are both coastal so this would reinforce the thesis.
07-08-2018, 15:57   #12
Jpmarn

I presume the Shannon Radar is shielded by the Galtee and Comeragh mountains and Dublin by maybe Slievenamon and Mt. Leinster. I presume the drizzle is coming from a low base. I don’t regard rainfall radars as 100% accurate.
08-08-2018, 10:48   #13
MrDerp

Slightly tongue-in-cheek, but why not email John Halligan and get him to demand weather radar for the south east?

With tongue out of cheek, do we follow best practice when it comes to location and number of weather radars? It seems unfortunate that the OP would lose out financially based on the observed data. I know that MÉ do a good job, and no forecasting is perfect, but one really ought to be able to do some decent educated guesswork or now-casting from the website.
31-08-2018, 15:45   #14
skeleton_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleton_boy View Post
I noticed the same thing happening here in Cork City yesterday. The precipitation could have been described as a heavy drizzle so maybe the above explains it?

I've noticed the same thing again today. There's been a varying light to heavy mist in Cork City since 8am but nothing showing on the radar. Must be the same type of occurrence.

Last edited by skeleton_boy; 31-08-2018 at 15:52.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion