Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no bik on EV cars?

• 01-07-2018 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

so, as a self employed worker I like the idea that I can have my company buy an EV and take advantage of the tax advantages afforded to me.

My understanding is, if I buy a full EV car, I can claim the VAT back and not pay any BIK.

So what options would I have for a full EV family car that I can take to Galway, occasionally Cork and sometimes West Waterford ?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

RobAMerc wrote: »
    so, as a self employed worker I like the idea that I can have my company buy an EV and take advantage of the tax advantages afforded to me.

My understanding is, if I buy a full EV car, I can claim the VAT back and not pay any BIK.

So what options would I have for a full EV family car that I can take to Galway, occasionally Cork and sometimes West Waterford ?

thanks

I can't comment on the VAT element but currently the BIK is 0% on full EV. This is expected to last a min of 3-5 years but the exact duration is not known. More information should come out this Budget. Also it doesn't have to be a new vehicle.

Assuming you are coming from Dublin then any EV will do it but they may need a charge, do you need to travel without a charge en route?

If you absolutely don't want to stop for a charge, then the only options would be Tesla S/X or Jaguar i-pace(available later in the year)

If you don't mind stopping for a charge then a leaf, Ioniq, eGolf would do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

You would not be able to claim the vat on a passenger vehicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

My understanding is that the Co can have accelerated capital write off.

Water John wrote: »
    My understanding is that the Co can have accelerated capital write off.

yes it can be written off in year 1 instead of over the normal 8 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

So, how would the capital write off work if I got the car on a PCP ?

Would I have to buy it on a HP agreement instead ? This might be less attractive for me as I would worry about the residuals with so much new tech coming on stream in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Haven't done it myself yet. Waiting for longer range EVs to come. My understanding is, use the Co to make PCP payments. Not sure who actually owns the car. Don't think the Co does.

Water John wrote: »
    Haven't done it myself yet. Waiting for longer range EVs to come. My understanding is, use the Co to make PCP payments. Not sure who actually owns the car. Don't think the Co does.

Company has to own the car if it is making the repayments.

PCP is not available to the company and it will have to be HP arrangement or cash if you're flush :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

JackieChan wrote: »
    yes it can be written off in year 1 instead of over the normal 8 years

But watch out on this, eg if you sell after 3 years and it’s worth €15k the €15k is taken as a negative capital allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ismat wrote: »
    You would not be able to claim the vat on a passenger vehicle

You can claim 20% of the VAT if the vehicle is used at least 60% of the time in connection with the business, and has Co2 emissions of 156g/KM or under.

Advertisement