Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€25k to spend on a used car - 100km per day

• 04-07-2018 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

As per the subject, 25K euro to spend. Car is for daily commute, total mileage of 100 km each day. Want reliability, economy and as much tech as possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Test drove this the other day.... http://www.7dayauto.ie/vehicles/audi/a5/dublin/2010972

Nº cruise control though..... But in this weather for 20k and I'm sure they would knock a few off aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Might suit if the OP is an estate agent or thinks diesel clatter sounds great with the top down. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

bazz26 wrote: »
    Might suit if the OP is an estate agent or thinks diesel clatter sounds great with the top down. :)

I was actually shocked at how little I heard of external (to the car) noises to be fair. I had never driven a soft top before and was very very impressed. Just have cruise control in the current car. Want it in a "new" one....

By the by op are you an estate agent - had been called a hairdresser by the lads.... Apparently I am "too you for a midlife crisis"..... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hyundai Ioniq EV
    Nissan Leaf 2 EV
    E Golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

kifi wrote: »
    As per the subject, 25K euro to spend. Car is for daily commute, total mileage of 100 km each day. Want reliability, economy and as much tech as possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Personally I'd go to the UK and buy a BMW 5 series m sport 520d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nothing beats an EV for all the above

Go drive test drive the new 150bhp Leaf

You'll be surprised :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I do 100 km work commute everyday and happy to recommend Benz C class.
    It's comfortable and easy on diesel.
    You can get 2016 model for 25k euros with low mileage on it.
    Try to get automatic transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

FriendsEV wrote: »
    Nothing beats an EV for all the above

Go drive test drive the new 150bhp Leaf

You'll be surprised :)

The 100km is a real 100km, in fact 110km is the accurate figure. Also I mostly drive at the speed limit. Will the range be Ok?

The 100km is a real 100km, in fact 110km is the accurate figure. Also I mostly drive at the speed limit. Will the range be Ok?
    Will be perfectly fine with room to spare in any of the ones I mentioned

ELM327 wrote: »
    Hyundai Ioniq EV
    Nissan Leaf 2 EV
    E Golf

• Advertisement

Just test drive a CLA 180. 161 reg. Bit too firm of a ride. Nice overall but didn't exactly blow me away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Patww79 wrote: »
    There might be a day he needs to go more than a 100km.

He can do 200 in the Ionic, 300+ with a 30 min charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭masterboy123

CLA is stiff and don't really give the premium feel Interior. It's worth trying C class and see the difference.
    Just test drive a CLA 180. 161 reg. Bit too firm of a ride. Nice overall but didn't exactly blow me away

I'm like what I see on this new honda civic.. anybody drive one?

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    My ioniq does more than 100km at 125km/h every single day of the week.
    In fact... you could do 180-200km, without modifying your driving style at all.

That's 350km with one 25 min stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Why is nearly every recommend me a car three hyjacked by the ev brigade.

Surely EV's will take a bigger hit on depreciation as the EV tech/ battery tech improves so rapidly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I can do 850- 900km 1,700 to 1,800 with a 5 minute stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

shanec1928 wrote: »

Because EVs are kind of an option now and if they fit your needs you can save a serious amount on fuel.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

shanec1928 wrote: »

https://youtu.be/gXZeq9eXAys

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

As posted in the electric forum “Currently drives with Real Range of 35Miles.”. Shocking stuff from a 7 year old car so definitely something to consider

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2011/18960416

Update on my demos. Drove a 2017 Megane and a 2016 Mondeo. Both 1.5 diesels. Now that's those two and a Merc CLA. Mondeo has been by far the quietest, best driving and most comfortable so far. Definitely on the shortlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I'm like what I see on this new honda civic.. anybody drive one?

Yep - the 1.5 petrol is the one to go for. Quick and feels good to throw around, not that I do that much. Has some nice toys, Adaptive Cruise and Lane Keeping assist being handy for long drives.

Very happy with mine.

Nate

Do not buy one without an automatic transmission.

Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Update on my demos. Drove a 2017 Megane and a 2016 Mondeo. Both 1.5 diesels. Now that's those two and a Merc CLA. Mondeo has been by far the quietest, best driving and most comfortable so far. Definitely on the shortlist.

The Mondeo is indeed eerily quiet, but if I was doing a lot of urban driving I would think twice about getting one. The 1.5 really struggles in terms of joining roundabouts and pulling out of junctions. It would actually be a good enough car for mainly motorway driving - which seems counterintuitive - but it’s actually has enough torque to get by once it gets moving.
    Another issue for urban driving is the handbrake, which if the car doesn’t have auto-hold is a bit awkward as it’s on the passenger side of the centre console (they moved it to the drivers side in the 2018 revision) which can get pretty tedious IMO.
    They were doing the Vignale spec for €32k on a straight deal new earlier in the year, which has the 2.0 TDCI engine and way more kit than the likes of a Zetec or Zetec+. A year / 18 month old one should logically fall into your budget and is so much car for the money.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Mondeo is indeed eerily quiet, but if I was doing a lot of urban driving I would think twice about getting one. The 1.5 really struggles in terms of joining roundabouts and pulling out of junctions. It would actually be a good enough car for mainly motorway driving - which seems counterintuitive - but it’s actually has enough torque to get by once it gets moving.
    Another issue for urban driving is the handbrake, which if the car doesn’t have auto-hold is a bit awkward as it’s on the passenger side of the centre console (they moved it to the drivers side in the 2018 revision) which can get pretty tedious IMO.
    They were doing the Vignale spec for €32k on a straight deal new earlier in the year, which has the 2.0 TDCI engine and way more kit than the likes of a Zetec or Zetec+. A year / 18 month old one should logically fall into your budget and is so much car for the money.

Thanks. I am indeed looking at a 2.0 engine. Although I didnt notice there was no power shortage. But i am comi g from skoda superb 2009 model 1.9 which is very much under powered. That said i have had no problems wit it in terms of roundabouts and finding think I'd have any issues with the 1.5 Mondeo either.

Would like the 2.0 Mondeo though. How are the autos in the Mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Advertisement

jharr100 wrote: »

Thanks but I'd get a fresher Mondeo. I prefer to get a younger reg, probably 162 or 171

Advertisement