Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Building

Options
  • 09-04-2018 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

We have a site and are looking at the possibility of building a house 1850-2000 sq foot. We have a max budget of €270/280.Is this possible in Co Clare or what sort of price are we looking at?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning contributions.
    Connections.
    Building costs.
    Professional fees.

Do all of the naive have to come out of the 280k?
    Will you be hiring a contractor or self building?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ndilly wrote: »
    We have a site and are looking at the possibility of building a house 1850-2000 sq foot. We have a max budget of €270/280.Is this possible in Co Clare or what sort of price are we looking at?

Thats a building price of between 130 and 140 per square foot.
    You might buy for this price- in a low demand area- but you're not going to build for this price. 150-160 a square foot would be more normal- for the house you mentioned- I'd peg it at 300-320k + fitout. Thats without know any details- you could scrimp in some areas to try and save- but if its a self build- you probably don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Why does everyone down the country need a house that you could comfortably house a regiment in? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ndilly

We are hoping to get everything done for 280k.Fittings etc.Don't think 1850-2000 is a massive house for a family. Obviously we will go with what we can afford that's why im trying to figure out prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

We are hoping to get everything done for 280k.Fittings etc.Don't think 1850-2000 is a massive house for a family. Obviously we will go with what we can afford that's why im trying to figure out prices.

It's a huge house. Councils shouldn't be giving planning permission for one off houses that size, but that's not your problem, they have.

I'm +1 on The Conductor, you're talking about 320k ballpark. It's all guesswork though until you put it to tender and get some quotes. Are you proposing single storey or two storey? There is more roof on a single storey. What type of finish are you looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Family member is currently going through a 2 storey, 3000 sq ft build in Kildare for €115 a sq ft.

Includes Kitchen, sanitary ware, painting, flooring, fireplaces and joinery. Does not include professional services, contributions, connections, landscaping or garden boundary walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why does everyone down the country need a house that you could comfortably house a regiment in? :pac:

2000 sq ft isn't that big. Serious lack of larger houses than that around the Dublin commuter region, up in cavan 3000 sq ft houses are 10 a penny , just a pity they are in cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

karenalot wrote: »
    Family member is currently going through a 2 storey, 3000 sq ft build in Kildare for €115 a sq ft.

Includes Kitchen, sanitary ware, painting, flooring, fireplaces and joinery. Does not include professional services, contributions, connections, landscaping or garden boundary walls.

Is that with a contract builder?

Thats a building price of between 130 and 140 per square foot.
    You might buy for this price- in a low demand area- but you're not going to build for this price. 150-160 a square foot would be more normal- for the house you mentioned- I'd peg it at 300-320k + fitout. Thats without know any details- you could scrimp in some areas to try and save- but if its a self build- you probably don't want to.

Sounds very expansive, I know people building far bigger houses for less. Self build hiring direct labour though in most cases rather than going with a contractor.

That's small house, I'll be aiming around 3500sq feet excluding garage when I build.

FFS even cleaning anything over 1000sqft would make me want to give up on life. :pac:

• Advertisement

FFS even cleaning anything over 1000sqft would make me want to give up on life. :pac:

Thats what cleaners are for ;). Living in a much smaller house at the momeent and wouldn't even consider not having a cleaner, I have no interest/desire whatsoever in doing any house cleaning myself but I also like a clean house.

Thats what cleaners are for ;). Living in a much smaller house at the momeent and wouldn't even consider not having a cleaner, I have no interest whatsoever in doing any house cleaning myself.

La de da! :D

So to build a house 2000sq ft with everything done(floors,kitchen,paint,furniture) etc how much do you reckon. Max budget is €310 with nothing left. It this feasible??:blush:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

So to build a house 2000sq ft with everything done(floors,kitchen,paint,furniture) etc how much do you reckon. Max budget is €310 with nothing left. It this feasible??:blush:

With a contractor, no hope, direct labor maybe but very much depends on the design and spec. Let me put it another way a developer spec'ed house could possibly be done for this kind money direct labor alright.

I don't think that can be done either.
    If you were doing the work yourself, then yes, but it all depends on what amount of labour you can get for free.

To be honest we can't do anything ourselves. What price per sq ft do you reckon we are looking at? God it has gone so expensive? What size house do you think you could build for €310k

To be honest we can't do anything ourselves. What price per sq ft do you reckon we are looking at? God it has gone so expensive? What size house do you think you could build for €310k

Does the €310k include Planning, Contributions, professional fees, connections etc

Yes:ermm:. Any idea how far you would get it 310k . Madness the way it had gone so expensive.

Yes:ermm:. Any idea how far you would get it 310k . Madness the way it had gone so expensive.

Do you have to buy the site out of that 310k too?
    Legal fees?
    Transfer of land fees?

Maybe you should post up clearly what you need for the 310k.

Sorry I already have the site so its just the build,fees etc and everything that's involved in the build and not the site. Thanks

• Advertisement

Sorry I already have the site so its just the build,fees etc and everything that's involved in the build and not the site. Thanks

Planning / Architect 5000
    Construction drawings/tender/inspections/certification/BCMS 5000
    Contributions 4000
    Connections (Drainage/water/gas/power) 10000
    Professional fees (BER/Engineer) 4000
    Build Cost approx. 2000 per square meter.
    Landscaping depends on size of site

Materials has sky rocketed in the last 3-4 years.
    Labour costs haven't risen as much but they are starting to rise and trades can be more picky now about what jobs they take on, especially the good ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Moved to Construction & Planning

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Where in the country are you? This still has a big impact on prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

We completed 2850sq.ft build in Meath about 2 years ago. Used a builder for most of work except painting and floor/skirting that we done ourselves which saved us about 10k.

Still came to 140 per square foot after vat and he was the cheapest tender from a number of builders. No fitted wardrobes except for walk in wardrobe.
    Architects, engineer, council, esb, Solictor, etc was probably another 40k.
    And then you need tables, beds, chairs, etccc

1.5 vernacular block connected to single vernacular style block (so simple roofs).

Triple glazed, natural stone with lime mortar pointing on small block, Geo thermal with heat pump, mhrv were all costly that every house may not have but probably couldn’t save lots due to builing regs anyway.

I’d imagine materials and labour costs have increased since we finished ours two years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Lookit, am just back from tenders myself for a build.

With a good few compromises and cut backs, you might get up to maybe a builders finish (usually means has bare walls/bare floor/electrics, no kitchen, no land scaping)

But you definitely wont furnish and finish the internal looking for that size house with that budget.

When I came onto the building forum a year or so ago, I remember asking about finishing a house off from builders finish, and was told "how long is a piece of string". Which is true. You could have a kitchen for 5k or a kitchen for 25k. Same with flooring. Doors etc.

I know its unbelievable to look at e310k and be told that is probably too small a budget. I had to take a few days out myself and ask what was more important. A smaller more manageable house that I'd be able to finish off versus a bigger house that I didnt have the means to finish off.

Oh yea, plus what other's have said about fees (solicitor/archi/eng/percolation/council contribution/ESB/Irish water) assume your e310 is covering these too? Or is e310 just for the build (then how do you propose to pay these costs?)

^^^^^^
    The 310k has to cover all these fees including planning.
    I confirmed that with the OP early in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

kceire wrote: »
    ^^^^^^
    The 310k has to cover all these fees including planning.
    I confirmed that with the OP early in the thread.

You'll get a house, if that's what you really want OP. Maybe just not a house of that size, for that budget including fees.

I manage fees and building the house on one salary. So, it can most definitely be done. But I had to have a think about what I really wanted versus the reality of what was affordable.

What would be the reason not to have a smaller house?

Am at the start of building (with a company) a 3 bed/3 bathroom, walk in wardrobe. Utility, study. Kitchen. Sitting room (and designed so in future if I wanted to/needed to could add on). UFH. Triple glaze. Ventilation unit. Heat pump. 100 sq meters for just over half of your budget.

Advertisement