Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90sr no hot water

Options
  • 13-06-2018 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

I got this shower installed circa 12-15 months ago. It is used alot, at least twice a day but maybe 3-4 times.

About 2 months ago I tried to use one day. Everything came on as normal, sounded like the motor was working on it but water was freezing. I switched all buttons around etc. Same thing

So I turned it off and planned to look at it later after work, anyway came back and it was working no problem. So I never done anything of course:P

Anyway since yesterday it has had the same problem. Turns on, if you leave on full cold the motor is still going and as you turn to get the water hotter the motors inside gets louder but water is still freezing.

Any idea's what could be wrong with it? Is it a throw out job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Any idea's what could be wrong with it? Is it a throw out job?

If it's a triton t90si then it is 11 to 18 years old. The average life span of an electric shower is 10 years.

If it's a triton t90sr then it's still under warranty triton 01 6286711

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

just had an 12 year old si replaced with an sr after same problem SR is very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sorry I meant a Triton T90SR.....I bought about 15 months ago

It the silent one....

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Sorry I meant a Triton T90SR.....I bought about 15 months ago

Give Triton 01 6286711 a buzz while it's still under warranty. All Triton T90SR showers are still under warranty as they are not quite 2 years on the market yet.

It sounds like the TCO is faulty. 10 minute job for the engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Give Triton 01 6286711 a buzz while it's still under warranty. All Triton T90SR showers are still under warranty as they are not quite 2 years on the market yet.

It sounds like the TCO is faulty. 10 minute job for the engineer

Any idea if Triton has changed the design of the TCO? (or use a different supplier if they dont make it themselves) as it seems to be a reoccuring problem with this model??. The TCO (first stage) operates every time that my shower is used as it hasnt a phased shutdown, you can hear a distinct click about 10/12 secs after shutting off the shower. If somebody uses the shower immediately afterwards it takes approx 15/17 secs for the water to return to its normal showering temperature, say 5 secs of cold water flow to reset the TCO plus the normal 10/12 secs to reach normal shoering temperature. If a shower is used 3 or 4 times a day then alot of switching goes on and once the 2 year warrenty has expired most people will have pay for the installation of a new TCO if the fault still persists in the replacements.

• Advertisement

John.G wrote:
    Any idea if Triton has changed the design of the TCO? (or use a different supplier if they dont make it themselves) as it seems to be a reoccuring problem with this model??. The TCO (first stage) operates every time that my shower is used as it hasnt a phased shutdown, you can hear a distinct click about 10/12 secs after shutting off the shower. If somebody uses the shower immediately afterwards it takes approx 15/17 secs for the water to return to its normal showering temperature, say 5 secs of cold water flow to reset the TCO plus the normal 10/12 secs to reach normal shoering temperature. If a shower is used 3 or 4 times a day then alot of switching goes on and once the 2 year warrenty has expired most people will have pay for the installation of a new TCO if the fault still persists in the replacements.

I believe that there is an issue with the TCO. It seems that some TCOs for the triton t90sr can take an hour or more to reset. This does not happen in the winter but only in the summer /Autumn in my experience. I've no idea why. This is the exact same TCO used in the triton t90z. I've been on to triton UK last autumn. I even linked posts here on BOARDS.IE They responded stating that they have a failure rate of roughly 1 in a thousand. They even asked me to return a whole shower to the UK if I come across this issue with a new installation.

Triton don't see this as a know issue and they have the official statistics of how many are replaced under warranty. What I did like about their reply is that they did not dismiss it out of hand unlike another leading shower manifacture. They are open to comments, suggestions from installers and if it is an issue then they want to get to the bottom of it.

I have come across this a few times but not during the winter for some reason. I've replaced a few TCOs on showers I've recently installed rather than the client wait up to a week for a warranty call. I have come across a few posters here on boards.ie with the issue. I don't have enough data to say if more than 1 in 1000 fail or not

I believe that there is an issue with the TCO. It seems that some TCOs for the triton t90sr can take an hour or more to reset. This does not happen in the winter but only in the summer /Autumn in my experience. I've no idea why. This is the exact same TCO used in the triton t90z. I've been on to triton UK last autumn. I even linked posts here on BOARDS.IE They responded stating that they have a failure rate of roughly 1 in a thousand. They even asked me to return a whole shower to the UK if I come across this issue with a new installation.

Triton don't see this as a know issue and they have the official statistics of how many are replaced under warranty. What I did like about their reply is that they did not dismiss it out of hand unlike another leading shower manifacture. They are open to comments, suggestions from installers and if it is an issue then they want to get to the bottom of it.

I have come across this a few times but not during the winter for some reason. I've replaced a few TCOs on showers I've recently installed rather than the client wait up to a week for a warranty call. I have come across a few posters here on boards.ie with the issue. I don't have enough data to say if more than 1 in 1000 fail or not

Interesting that its not happening on the T90Z, and that its not failing on the T90SR in the winter. If I put full water flow (9/10 LPM) through my Mira on high power setting, the TCO will still operate some 15/18 seconds after switch off. The different manufacturers seem to use different settings, I have seen Mira TCOs advertised with a accompanying picture of the TCO stamped L48C L75C and I think for the Triton 57C 90C but that in itself should not prevent the first stage resetting depending on its hysteresis. I suppose that its possible that some failures are caused because the first stage doesn't work and it then locks out on the real TCO, the second stage.

I know that you have a T90SR, do you hear its TCO operating each time you switch off?

John.G wrote:
    I know that you have a T90SR, do you hear its TCO operating each time you switch off?

Yes I do. I also hear it pop on t90xr showers and t90z sh that I work on. I can't recall if the mira elite qt does the same. It's the type of thing that I hear all day everyday so I don't notice.

Each Tco is designed for a particular heating can. The mira elite 2 and qt had an orange Tco as does the Sport. The mira elite qt has a smaller heating can & has a green TCO. The triton t90si had a grey Tco, they changed the can halfway through its production lifespan and changed the Tco to purple. Since the t90xr got rid of the bottom Tco on the outlet of the can triton have been using the white Tco. If I replace a white Tco on a t90sr with a purple one it won't trip out at the correct temperature. It will no longer be BEHAB approved and may be dangerous

Yes I do. I also hear it pop on t90xr showers and t90z sh that I work on. I can't recall if the mira elite qt does the same. It's the type of thing that I hear all day everyday so I don't notice.

Each Tco is designed for a particular heating can. The mira elite 2 and qt had an orange Tco as does the Sport. The mira elite qt has a smaller heating can & has a green TCO. The triton t90si had a grey Tco, they changed the can halfway through its production lifespan and changed the Tco to purple. Since the t90xr got rid of the bottom Tco on the outlet of the can triton have been using the white Tco. If I replace a white Tco on a t90sr with a purple one it won't trip out at the correct temperature. It will no longer be BEHAB approved and may be dangerous

The Mira Elite QT has phased shutdown so the TCO should not operate on shutdown.

John.G wrote:
    The Mira Elite QT has phased shutdown so the TCO should not operate on shutdown.

I really wasn't sure. As I said I hear them pop up so often that I don't hear them.

Fitted a mira elite qt yesterday in Leixlip. The pump was a dud so went back today to replace it rather than leave them up to a week without a shower under warranty. Anyway I checked to see if the Tco popped when I turned it off. The water is wasted hot. Maybe hotter than you'd shower in but it definitely popped.

• Advertisement

I really wasn't sure. As I said I hear them pop up so often that I don't hear them.

Fitted a mira elite qt yesterday in Leixlip. The pump was a dud so went back today to replace it rather than leave them up to a week without a shower under warranty. Anyway I checked to see if the Tco popped when I turned it off. The water is wasted hot. Maybe hotter than you'd shower in but it definitely popped.

So much for a phased shutdown then, I hope that the pump is the only dud part of it.

John.G wrote:
    So much for a phased shutdown then, I hope that the pump is the only dud part of it.

On the mira elite 2 and mira elite st the water would run for 5 seconds or so to half empty the heating can. I actually thought that the mira elite qt did the same but definitely not on the one this morning. Water stopped dead as the power button was pushed in.

We're ripping out more QTs than we are putting in but I'll keep an eye out on any new ones we do install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok to update in case anyone else has similar problem. It started to work again and I meant to put in call but only lasted a week and then it stopped....I was going on hols so just left and used other shower. Back now and still just cold water

Put a call in, was worried about no receipt but they use the date of manufacture off the shower, so happy days.....will feedback on what went in it...

We had reduced mains pressure (was informed of same) for a few days very recently but was still able to have “1/2” power showers with my Mira Sport 9 kw electric shower. When power was restored I decided to carry out a few tests on its protective devices, I have a ½” gate valve on the shower mains supply so was able to control the flow rate to whatever I like.

I found it interesting that this shower always trips on “Low Power” before the TCO operates., (rated temperature of 48C , orange TCO).

When I run it on ”HI Power”, both elements on, and very slowly reduce the flow rate, the Low Power light comes on at a measured 4.2 LPM and opens the micro switches before the TCO operates and on “1/2” power , the Low Power light comes on at a measured 2.2 LPM, again opening the micro switch before the TCO operates.

Obviously if the mains temperature approaches ~ 20C (presently 15C) then the TCO may operate (on/off) if the flow rates are just greater than the trip settings (4.2 & 2.2 LPM) but in some Tritons which have a TCO setting of 58C then the mains would have to be ~ 28/30C, almost unheard of, even if a tank fed shower.

There are numerous instances of the showering temperatures going hot/cold which I always presumed was due to the TCO switching in/out but in view of the above it might point to the flow switch operating (properly, if flow rate is too low) but if this were the case one would think that the low flow light would immuminate and stay up unless someone was very rapidly opening/shutting a tap somewhere to make the micro switches operate on/off. I have never seen a post where someone say that they have observed this which IMO is most unlikely to happen anyway.

John.G wrote: »

There are numerous instances of the showering temperatures going hot/cold which I always presumed was due to the TCO switching in/out but in view of the above it might point to the flow switch operating (properly, if flow rate is too low) but if this were the case one would think that the low flow light would immuminate and stay up unless someone was very rapidly opening/shutting a tap somewhere to make the micro switches operate on/off. I have never seen a post where someone say that they have observed this which IMO is most unlikely to happen anyway.

You will usually hear the TCO click on/off, especially in a mains fed shower with no pump. The shower going cold as you describe sounds like the pressure dropping off slightly mid shower & deactivating the pressure switch. As for why the low flow light doesn't come on at these times I have no clue. The Triton version of the sport is the T80Z. This doesn't have a low pressure light. It has a plastic bar with one end attached to the pressure switch & the other end is Orange. The Orange is viable through a little window. If there is enough pressure to activate the pressure switch then the Orange end of the bar moves out of view from the little window. This seems to be more accurate than a low flow bulb from what you describe

You will usually hear the TCO click on/off, especially in a mains fed shower with no pump. The shower going cold as you describe sounds like the pressure dropping off slightly mid shower & deactivating the pressure switch. As for why the low flow light doesn't come on at these times I have no clue. The Triton version of the sport is the T80Z. This doesn't have a low pressure light. It has a plastic bar with one end attached to the pressure switch & the other end is Orange. The Orange is viable through a little window. If there is enough pressure to activate the pressure switch then the Orange end of the bar moves out of view from the little window. This seems to be more accurate than a low flow bulb from what you describe

The Mira low flow indication is very accurate, as soon as you press the start button (everything normal) then the low flow light will very briefly illuminate every time until the micro switch(s) assembly moves and break the circuit through the lamp. My only conclusion regarding my shower at least is that the TCO (if operating correctly) will only start operating if there is (lime) scale building up in the elements leading to can overheat if the flow switch is still made due to minimum sufficient flow rate or the mains water is > 20C with clean elements like mine are and flow rates > 4.2/2.2 LPM.

Even if I wanted to I cannot carry out a "live" TCO tripping test but I do know its operating after I switch off as per my post #6 above.

Carried out TCO temperature test subsequently by slowly turning the temperature towards its hottest setting and it tripped at a measured 49C (setting on orange TCO, 48C). You said in other post(s) that the Triton, depending on the heating can size; use different settings on their TCOs, I have seen settings of 57C on some TCOs, this seems extremely high from a safety point of view. Have you any views on this, and what are the setting(s) on the Triton 80Z easy fit and the T90SR?.

Mira orange 48C. Mira green 48C. Triton purple 57C. Triton white 48C

The triton purple went into t90si and Mark one t90xr showers. Both of these showers had two TCOs. The purple one on the top of the heating can & a smaller one on the outlet. The smaller TCO controlled one element & this would cut out at 48C. Because of this the main TCO had a higher cut out.

Many of the smaller Dublin repair companies install 2nd hand parts as new. They don't know any better so are happy to install a purple TCO when replacing a white TCO because the 2nd hand part is free and they make a higher profit. They don't realise that they can be responsible for someone scalding themselves. Their greed changes the temperature cut off from a safe 48C to the a dangerous 57C.

The purple 57C TCO is not supposed to be installed in a modern heating can.

A little knowledge can be dangerous.

Mira orange 48C. Mira green 48C. Triton purple 57C. Triton white 48C

The triton purple went into t90si and Mark one t90xr showers. Both of these showers had two TCOs. The purple one on the top of the heating can & a smaller one on the outlet. The smaller TCO controlled one element & this would cut out at 48C. Because of this the main TCO had a higher cut out.

Many of the smaller Dublin repair companies install 2nd hand parts as new. They don't know any better so are happy to install a purple TCO when replacing a white TCO because the 2nd hand part is free and they make a higher profit. They don't realise that they can be responsible for someone scalding themselves. Their greed changes the temperature cut off from a safe 48C to the a dangerous 57C.

The purple 57C TCO is not supposed to be installed in a modern heating can.

A little knowledge can be dangerous.

Fair enough, the orange TCO is 48C/75C which I presume is a two stage TCO, 48C is a self resetting thermal cut out and the 75C is the non resettable TCO?.
    Now here is a photo of a, I presume, two stage TCO for a Triton?, so where this was legally installed, did that particular shower have another thermal (self resetting) cut out in the outlet pipe set at ~ 50C?

I'm not familiar with that TCO. I assume that it was for a mains fed shower for the UK Market. All triton heating cans had two TCOs up until 2007 / 2009. The one in the photo is 57C so I'd have to assume that it's for an old heating can with two TCOs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Breakingbad123

If thermal cut off switch kicks in and all your getting is cold water...switch off the trip switch for the shower for a minute and then your shower will work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭guil

I've had the TCO replaced 2 or 3 times on a t90sr, February just gone and February 2019. We are in a hard water area so can replaced both times too.

guil wrote:
    I've had the TCO replaced 2 or 3 times on a t90sr, February just gone and February 2019. We are in a hard water area so can replaced both times too.

It's the limescale damaged heating cans /element that's causing them to blow. It must be costing you 100 euro per year on parts for the shower. I know it's a bit of an outlay but a water softening system would pay for itself after a few years. You'll get longer out of the washing machine, dishwasher, kettle etc too

It's the limescale damaged heating cans /element that's causing them to blow. It must be costing you 100 euro per year on parts for the shower. I know it's a bit of an outlay but a water softening system would pay for itself after a few years. You'll get longer out of the washing machine, dishwasher, kettle etc too

Thanks, I'm well aware of it lol, broke open the last 2 cans and the amount was unbelievable. Getting a clack softener installed on Thursday.
    It was €150 for earthridge to replace the can and TCO, 2 years ago it was in warranty so no labour/call out charge

guil wrote:
    Thanks, I'm well aware of it lol, broke open the last 2 cans and the amount was unbelievable. Getting a clack softener installed on Thursday. It was €150 for earthridge to replace the can and TCO, 2 years ago it was in warranty so no labour/call out charge

Earthridge are very good with their warranty. Limescale isn't covered by the warranty. They could have walked away.

You won't know yourself with the new setup

They said if it is within warranty period and due to limescale then you just pay for parts

Advertisement