Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Game Suggestions!

Options
  • 07-06-2018 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions on Sega games. I have a small and varied collection, I know some games aren't great (Sonic R...) but there's a lot of stuff I've missed out on. I'm open to NTSC imports as long as the language barrier isn't an issue, eg rail shooters.

I like a bit of everything really. Not huge on fighting games but I do like Capcom Vs stuff. Love racing games, not a sports fan unless Tony Hawk's, Matt Hoffman, SSX etc.

Here's a list of what I'm thinking of and the picture is what's currently on the shelf. The first Mega Drive game is Alien3 and the first Saturn game is Alien Trilogy.

-Mega Drive
    Golden Axe
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Road Rash 2?
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Simpsons (Nostalgia Reasons)
    Toejam & Earl Panic on Funkotron
    Toy Story?

-Saturn
    Panzer Dragoon Saga (Collectable/rare factor)

-Dreamcast
    Capcom Vs SNK?
    Dino Crisis?
    San Francisco Rush?
    Shenmue 2
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    Vampire Chronicle JP

Anything with a question mark means I'm curious but need to see if it's worth it. If it's quirky I'll take a punt if it's cheap.

I have Road Rash 3, is 2 worth getting? Any Beat Em Ups like X-Men, Spiderman, Turtles etc?

Shooters like DoDonPachi, Ikaruga?

I'm down for a bargain, the Strike series for example cost me €10-15 per game so not too expensive, it's nice to not have to spend €40-50 on a game!

0fafZSG.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If you like SSX, you need to get Steep Slope Sliders on the Saturn. It's the best snowboarding game of that era and really overlooked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you like SSX, you need to get Steep Slope Sliders on the Saturn. It's the best snowboarding game of that era and really overlooked.

Ahem.... 1080 on the N64 is the best...
    But we are talking about Sega platforms so you might be right!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gunstar Heroes on the Megadrive is the best megadrive game and also proof that Edge reviews are a sham.

Second best Megadrive game is Rocket Knight Adventures.

Start there!

If you are collecting Saturn and Dreamcast go for US and JP. They are so much cheaper and all you need for a region free system is an action replay 4 in 1 for Saturn and a Utopia disc for Dreamcast. Also get a 60 Hz mods on your Saturn and Megadrive. There's a lot of action games on both systems and they are ruined in 50 Hz, particularly the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mercs is one of the best games for the console and can be had cheap.

Ranger X is another one that usually flies under the radar and is cheaper than it should be.

Alien Soldier is brilliant but is going for a fortune lately unfortunately. IMO better than Gunstar Heroes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

o1s1n wrote: »
    Mercs is one of the best games for the console and can be had cheap.

Ranger X is another one that usually flies under the radar and is cheaper than it should be.

Alien Soldier is brilliant but is going for a fortune lately unfortunately. IMO better than Gunstar Heroes.

Mercs is a fantastic game that inexplicably got a terrible terrible review in one of the sega mags (sega power? Megatech??).
    Kid Chameleon is worth getting if you can track down a copy .
    Starflight and Star Control too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Few relatively cheap but great games for the megadrive, Aladdin, chaos engine, markos magic football.

Master of the Universe

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Mercs is a fantastic game that inexplicably got a terrible terrible review in one of the sega mags (sega power? Megatech??).
    Kid Chameleon is worth getting if you can track down a copy .
    Starflight and Star Control too..

It got a bit of stick for the lack of two player, but the added Original mode more than makes up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

None of these games seem to be very cheap, Mercs is the only one I've looked at that's below €30 :P

I've heard Aladdin is good, as is Castle of Illusion. I don't think they're too expensive either.

The reason I'm asking for suggestions is because a lot of the "top 10" style lists are the same mainstream games. At the moment I'm leaning more towards fleshing out the Saturn and Dreamcast library.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DaveyDave wrote:
    The reason I'm asking for suggestions is because a lot of the "top 10" style lists are the same mainstream games. At the moment I'm leaning more towards fleshing out the Saturn and Dreamcast library.

Looks like you are missing virtua fighter on the Saturn.The games you are interested in are not cheap.

I was going to recommend micromachines but it looks like it's in the picture

Stoner wrote: »
    Looks like you are missing virtua fighter on the Saturn.The games you are interested in are not cheap.

I was going to recommend micromachines but it looks like it's in the picture

Yeah, the ones listed are expensive but they're just the obvious ones off the top of my head. I'm interested in pretty much everything, not necessarily looking for the best games of all time just stuff that's worth a look. Doesn't have to be cheap but games like After Burner, Columns or Super Thunder Blade aren't too expensive so I'd probably pick them up. Hell, maybe even a sports title like NBA Jam for a bit of fun :)

I'm not too familiar with the Saturn library and I'm sure there's a lot of shooters and arcade ports I'm missing out on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Virtua Racing
    Must have on MD, Saturn version is nice but the 32X version is my favourite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Aladdin looks gorgeous but isn't a good game. Castle of illusion is a cracker but I'd look out for the castle of illusion and world of illusion double cart. Two excellent games on one cart.

As for Mercs.... it got 3 /10 in the usually excellent Sega Power. I'm just as baffled. It might not have the 2 or 3 player mode but it's a great conversion with a whole second game with RPG elements added as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Another few MG games fun to play and not too expensive, Cool spot, Strider, NBA jam, Ghouls n ghosts.

I also really liked the PGA games if thats your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

A lot of the Disney games were great on Megadrive. World of Illusion and Castle of Illusion were already mentioned but you also have games like Quackshot, Lion King, Talespin, Toy Story which are all very reasonably priced.

Also Toejam and Earl games are also pretty good.

Is Gunstar Heroes expensive now? Might be easier to get a NTSC or Japanese copy.

It's worth paying the extra for it since it's absolutely fantastic.

However if it's going for silly money like Contra Hard Corp and Castlevania are now then it might need some consideration. Kind of annoys me that popular games rather than actual true rarities are going up so much.

Thunderforce 3 and 4 would be a good shout as well. Excellent shmups and should be quite cheap.

Master of the Universe

All games seem relatively expensive now :(
    Ranger X that I recommend above used to go for a tenner, now it looks to be 40gbp on average!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bipedal

What about Ecco the Dolphin? Genesis and Dreamcast are both fun.

Oh man or Comix Zone?

Master of the Universe

Comix Zone is great and looks fantastic. I do think they made it unnecessarily difficult though. Kind of impacts on the feel of the whole game which is meant to be a playable comic narrative.

Has Another World been mentioned? Always been one of my favourites.

Always had a soft spot for Alisia Dragoon, but I see that is now too going for silly money.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

I agree with the difficulty of Comix Zone. I played it on 360 and probably wouldn't have managed to get through it without the save states!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

GODS
    ########################
    Loads of extra bonus material if you mess about more with the switches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Virtua Fighter 2
    Marvel Super Heroes
    X-Men: Children of The Atom

All Saturn obvs

Advertisement