Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too slow to join a club. How to get faster?

Options
  • 23-05-2018 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Pretty much as the title says. I'm currently 106kg and 5ft 10 so carrying a fair bit of excess flab. I was thinking of joining my local cycle club and they suggested I come down for a taster session. They have multiple groups and the slowest group goes about 14mph.

I didn't join them for a cycle but I know their training route so I went out around the same time to see how fast they are. Even though I had a fairly good head start, all of the group's had passed me by half way in a 20 mile lap and by the end the slowest group were probably 2 miles ahead of me.

It was a bit disheartening especially as I noticed one guy in the really fast group wasn't much smaller than me.

As well as losing weight, is there more I can do? I commute to work but that's only about 15 miles a week total. Do I need to go out and cycle more? Should I do long sessions or short or what? I was out on the road bike tonight which is light so the bike isn't the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You do realise that you cycle a lot faster when with a group. The draft effect means that you expend less energy when not at the front and hence you travel at a faster AVG speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Yeah they said that but I kind of found it hard to believe it was going to make much difference. According to Strava tonight my average speed was 12mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

It does, it really really does.

Your biggest issue will be getting used to riding in close proximity to others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

plus many clubs have a noone left behind policy.

Rather than going faster, maybe try and go a little further each time. Build the fitness. I've gone from 90 kg to 73, though that was over a couple of years and not exactly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Go along on their next club ride and hang on at the back for as long as you can. Stay close to the group otherwise you’ll lose the draughting effect. If you get dropped, so what, you will get better/faster if you keep it up.

I can manage 27/28kmh on my own. In a group I can easily do 30-32kmh. It really does make a huge difference. Most of my PB’s on Strava segments were on group rides.

Try it and see for yourself. You have absolutely nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

veganrun wrote: »
    Pretty much as the title says. I'm currently 106kg and 5ft 10 so carrying a fair bit of excess flab. I was thinking of joining my local cycle club and they suggested I come down for a taster session. They have multiple groups and the slowest group goes about 14mph.

I didn't join them for a cycle but I know their training route so I went out around the same time to see how fast they are. Even though I had a fairly good head start, all of the group's had passed me by half way in a 20 mile lap and by the end the slowest group were probably 2 miles ahead of me.

It was a bit disheartening especially as I noticed one guy in the really fast group wasn't much smaller than me.

As well as losing weight, is there more I can do? I commute to work but that's only about 15 miles a week total. Do I need to go out and cycle more? Should I do long sessions or short or what? I was out on the road bike tonight which is light so the bike isn't the problem.

1. As said, cycling in a group is a lot easier than alone.

2. Are you cycling to lose weight or get fast or social? If you're cycling to lose weight, just cycle whatever way you find most comfortable, then progress to groups, etc, when you feel comfortable doing so.

3. Mileage wise, start with the commute and build it whenever you can.

4. Lose weight. Diet is the best way, cycling would only supplement it.

5. If you are indeed vegan, careful attention to diet will be vitally important. There's a temptation to overcome the hunger with processed carbs and weight-loss gets more difficult.

That may all be kinda vague, but go at your own pace. It helps to be consistent.

i speak as a one-time 120kg 6' 1" vegetarian. It'll take time. More time in kitchen than on bike will be the biggest change.

I'm thinking of joining mostly for the social aspect. I don't really know many people here and have no-one to socialize with so I thought of joining a club might be a way to meet new people. I'm in an MMA gym too but procrastination and overthinking keeps me away from it too.

I'm thinking of joining mostly for the social aspect. I don't really know many people here and have no-one to socialize with so I thought of joining a club might be a way to meet new people. I'm in an MMA gym too but procrastination and overthinking keeps me away from it too.

Others can correct me, but most clubs have a "no-one gets left behind" policy. I'd definitely just go and give it a go. You'll more than likely surprise yourself.

Yeah this slowest group has something called a "no-drop" policy which I assume means the same thing. However I couldn't shake the feeling I'd be just slowing them down and holding them up. I'd say there was maybe 6 or 7 in the slowest group, so hardly a large peleton.

Doesn't matter. The policy is there for a reason. I've had to push someone home for nearly 50km and also had to basically eat every morsel of food a fellow team mate had on another spin while they drafted me on a freezing winter day.

We all have up days and down days on the bike. We don't mind waiting or giving food sometimes. But bring your own puncture kit and water bottle, lol

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Depends on the club but some run beginner spins often starting in the autumn.

The way I did it though was by cycling to work, and gradually building up speed - it was a 23km trip and I started doing it once a week, gradually building up to 3 or 4 times. Then I started extending it, taking diversions to perhaps do a 30-40km spin on the return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah this slowest group has something called a "no-drop" policy which I assume means the same thing. However I couldn't shake the feeling I'd be just slowing them down and holding them up. I'd say there was maybe 6 or 7 in the slowest group, so hardly a large peleton.

From my experience slowing a group down is never an issue. Most of them will be happy that they get to take it a bit easier and will be more than happy to have you along because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I was in pretty much the same boat in January of last year, 103kg/5'9" and trying to figure out if I was fast enough to join a club, here is what worked for me

I picked a 12km route and decided to keep cycling it until I could average 24kmph on it, the first 3 times I averaged < 20 kmph(see here) (and had to stop for a breather). I always pushed myself on these rides and it took about 4 months but I eventually hit 24kmph. I then joined a club, I have been getting stronger since then, and have lost about 15kg.

24kmph is just a number I picked, as it turned out I reckon I probbaly would have been fine setting the target a little lower.

Also I agree with others here, allow yourself to join even a goup even if you are a little slower then the group, you'll always be faster in a group, the last 2 sportives I did were at least 2 or 3kmph faster then I could possibly have done solo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Spend more time on your bike and you'll be fine. As others said be brave and take the plunge with the club, the first spin is the hardest step but you will enjoy it.

Also weight isn't everything, I'm 5 11 and weigh 104 kgs and it doesn't stop me having fun and gping well in club races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

There is only one way to get better at cycling - more cycling!! Be it trying to gradually increase your distance or trying to go faster over the same distance. On the road there is no place to hide, but I’m not saying this to put you off.
    Every time you get on the bike you will get better. Do it for enjoyment and exercise, after a while you might feel you want to race/ tour/ do long sportive events, but you hit the nail on the head earlier when you said you wanted the social side of it......joining a club will definitely achieve that, it’s fun, it’s social. Clubs have different pace groups for a reason - so all members can train/cycle at a level suitable to themselves.
    So stick with the club, get out on the spins, don’t worry about getting dropped or slowing up a group - we’ve all been there, in a years time someone else will post the same thing as you have and you won’t even realise that you are now in the group dropping the newbie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

The County Rider who was in the break on Yesterdays Ras Stage started in our Club NGLB (No 1 Gets Left Behind)Group on his first night.
    He got a hand on his back to keep in the bunch on a few drags his first night.
    Every one in the group knows what it's like to be the newbie and take an interest in getting people through their first spin.
    Getting out that first night is always the hard part. Once you do you will not look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kilometers. Cycling is French dominated, we use metric :pac: (and you used kilos).

The no drop policy is great but IMO its up to new members to not take the total p1ss with it. If club spins are 80km @20kph and the furthest you've done is 25km then going along is just going to put you off cycling. You need to get a very low baseline either solo or with a mate before jumping on.

If your commute is 20k/week I'd set a target for 50km/week for week one. Use Google Fit on your phone to record your activity automatically so even 1km each way to the shop is included. Week 2: 55, week 3: 60km and so on. When you're new the gains come really easy so you'll be flying in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

veganrun, what dahat says. If you find yourself a 1.5 hour circuit, and ride it and enjoy it, your muscles will come up to it, and you'll get a rhythm. (For me, because I'm very old and slow, 1.5 hours is around 16km.)

Once you're happy and confident with doing this a few days a week, join the back of a club spin and see how you do. At first it'll be hard, later less so.

The slowest group does a 22 mile route which I did tonight by myself around the same time they started as I wanted to see how I compared. So it would be the same distance as I've done.

I think you've been on here OP in the past for bike buying and tyre issues and here you are a year on and you're still on the bike. So fair play.

People have mentioned being in a group making you faster. Leaving the science out out of it riding along and having a chat with the person or people around you can make you forget the legs are spinning and how fast etc. Which got me through the later parts of my first 160km sportive last year. Did I fell it after though!!!

Long story short OP join the bloody group!!!!!! They'll be getting someone who starts something and works hard at it, progresses and needs a little help to move to the next level in their journey but is willing to make an effort.

If it was a job interview I'd give you the job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

veganrun - what sort of cadence are you cycling at? i found by dropping one gear (i.e. going one cog larger on the back) increased my stamina noticeably. you're much more likely to run out of steam early if you're pushing a bigger gear, for little difference in overall speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Leaving aside the headwrecking use of imperial ( ;) ), I'd say that speed solo would translate into being able to hold the group pace, assuming you're comfortable in a group. A decent leader wouldn't have you on the front for long/ at all if your nervous about maintaining it and/or struggling.

Even behind one person, drafting is a 20% energy saving, and that goes up further back in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Joining a club makes a hell of a difference.

I started cycling a few years ago but only joined one last year.

Started off in the slower group where some spins were only 22-24kmph average and progressed up through the faster groups. Currently hanging on to the groups that try for a 30+ kmph avg. I get dropped frequently but each spin I stay on a little longer each time. Riding in groups brings you on

I think I did more km last year with the club then I did by myself the previous 3yrs combined.

Don’t worry about the weight I am of a similar size to you.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

veganrun ... "by the end the slowest group were probably 2 miles ahead of me." 
    considering you rode solo, plus you seem to have mentally defeated yourself before you started, your actually not that far off their pace. 

I think you would be fine to sit in with that group , the chat and social aspect will help you relax , less tense on the bike, the more speed, plus the positive drafting aspect will mean you will be fine. 

Ive never heard of a Cycling club that didnt want new members to join, that didnt want new members who want to improve. Everyone gets spat out the back of some group at some point in their cycling life .. some more regularly than others :-) 
    Also we are coming into the summer, not sure what the weather is like in Ireland but now is the ideal time for you to join and improve, you have a better chance on the nicer days to get adapted to group cycling.. 
    Oh and take a more positive attitude , have a bit more self belief you can manage with that group.
    plus 1 on all the other tips mentioned above. 
    Join up and let us know how you get on . 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The slowest group does a 35 km route which I did tonight by myself around the same time they started as I wanted to see how I compared. So it would be the same distance as I've done.

Fixed your post. Get used to km for the bike.

As many have said, group riding really boosts your speed, getting a draft off other bikes and mentally being able to push a bit harder/distracting yourself and getting w confidence boost.

You may also learn a thing or two that makes it easier, such cadence, gearing, tyre pressure etc.

Also if possible you could add further distance to your commute, go the long way home for example, that will help build your base fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

As well as joining a club and riding with stronger riders get a Garmin or something like it that you can set to show average speed.

On your commute work to keep the average a few kms over what you normally do, when the going gets hard don't back off but drop into a lower gear and spin the legs faster keep the avg up. You will find this can give you a much-needed break and then you can go hard(er) again.

Intervals will really help to bring things on, two minutes flat out, a minute rest X as many times as you can, you'll get there in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

You could increase your cycle to work. You don't have to take the most direct route so leave 15 mins earlier and add a few Km on to it. Especially with this weather - it's practically sucking people onto bikes!

I was definitely gone mentally, that's for sure. Sorry about mixing up metric and imperial, I'm in the north so clubs here seem to deal in mph. At least the one I am thinking of joining does.

Will aim to go out with them next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It's important to go longer distances, because it helps you set up your rhythm and be used to striding out and enjoying it.

Hey, don't tense up. It's not a competition. This is for fun! Best fun you can have on two wheels (unless you and your partner are exceptionally athletic).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Go for it OP - the beginner groups will be perfectly suited for you - you'll improve immensely in a very short space of time.

My first club spin I accidentally joined a middle group - dropped out the back and 2 of them came back and hauled me back to the group. Told me to come again the next week in the same group - they left me at the back of the bunch for the ride shielded from the wind - within a few weeks I was well able to keep up with them, doing the up-and-over routine - it felt amazing!!

Advertisement