Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hands

• 28-02-2018 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭

Lads, my hands are in bits in this weather. All dry, cut and sore. Any advice? Can't really wear gloves as I'd be constantly taking them off for the jobs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

my hands are clearing up after being cracked and really painful the last week and a half. I just moisteriser and e 45 cream separately a couple of times a day for a few days and it has worked . MY hands had got that painful one of the lads touched it by an accident in the clubhouse he may aswel have slapped it with a wooden spoon it was that painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Neutrogena hand cream. Very good for dry cracked hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

neutrogena hand cream is great. I wear milking gloves all the time and havent had to use the cream in years, could go through a fair few pairs in a day but no cracks anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

Wear gloves. I would not be without gloves. Gloves into pocket if not required for a job. Back on after. I use nice snug gloves, not those block laying ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Barrier cream. I don't use it myself so can't recommend a particular brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

I've gloves on all the time now. When you slice your finger open on a bit of weld on a gate you'll be sure to wear them all year round. I've managed to prevent countless injuries with them, door swung shut today on my fingers with the wind but my gloves took most of it thankfully.

Handy for calving too since they've more grip, had a calf stuck on the hips and was able to pull it out with the grip from the gloves. Need a wash after though……..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Learn to wear gloves.
    Your not a dumb animal that can’t be taught or learn to do something new.

It takes time and feels un natural for a while but it makes a big difference.

Plenty of E45 helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭squinn2912

There's stuff O'Keefe's Working Hands Hand Cream. I had hacks all round my knuckles and used it. Made a great job on them. It takes the pain out first and then they clear up

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

mf240 wrote: »
    Neutrogena hand cream. Very good for dry cracked hands.

Would have to agree I've tried them all and find that the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭I says

Hands rte2 made some lovely documentaries about different trades, seen the repeats there was saddlemaking,cobblers and milling flour to name a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

I got milking gloves free with albex dose,didn't like them for milking,too heavy.But I have them on for the rest of the day.Keep a few spare pairs in your pockets.Lash on the hand cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I’m not a farmer but my hands are destroyed all year and any kind of engine work or gardening work has them cracked open, raw and bleeding..

Epishield barrier cream is the business. Drys quickly and forms an invisible glove.. I always wear vinyl gloves over the epishield and then proper gloves over that again depending on what I’m doing.. for engine work I just use the vinyl obviously.. when my hands are really bad I use cotton gloves as well.

I also buy large tubs of emulsifying ointment and use it as soap. It’s great stuff and dirt cheap as long as you buy the large tubs.

Taken many years of trial and error to get stuff that works but everyone’s different. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wear the black milkers gloves when milking but elsewhere I find in the cold the hands regulate the temp better without gloves, esp when they would be taken on and off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Always have milkers gloves on. Also wear light builders gloves over them. Water doesn't make any difference as the milkers gloves keep your hands dry. Very few jobs that you need to take the builders gloves off for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Always have milkers gloves on. Also wear light builders gloves over them. Water doesn't make any difference as the milkers gloves keep your hands dry. Very few jobs that you need to take the builders gloves off for.

I'm doing the opposite at the min, got a box of large milking gloves, and wear the builder gloves underneath, works well for milking where your gloves always wet.

But yeh to the op, handcream will never offer the same solution as a pair of gloves, I would still try and find a solution that works with gloves. I use to hate wearing gloves milking, I tried half a dozen different milking gloves until I found ones that worked (which ironically are the cheapest priced ha).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Had to google milkers gloves..

When your hands are open and bleeding, wear cotton gloves under the milkers gloves. Cut the fingers off them first so you still have dexterity for lighter jobs..

Then builders gloves for rough work..

I also use Gripster skins.. Pricey but they last a lot longer then the vinyl.

http://www.gripster-skins.com/

I don't know though, maybe milkers gloves are already strengthened ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Gloves are all a habit. You learn to wear them . When you get a chance go to a shop that deals in safty gear there is usually one in all large towns and city's. Spend 30-40 minutes trying on different gloves and liners and chose what suits you.

10 years ago it was the same in the building industry lads saying they could not work and wear them you will see loads of lads on a site wearing them now. Barrier creams are only ok for light work. Have different gloves for different jobs gloves for milking and a different type set for when working on the tractor. 3-6 months and it will be second nature to put them on.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

GLOVES GLOVES......no excuses. you will wonder how the hell you survived without. Hand will never be in poor skin condition ever again.
    As for cream, if you want a really good cream/ointment.....teat ointment is the business.....way better than off the shelf creams. wearing gloves for 8 years plus. Never a need for it since

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

squinn2912 wrote: »
    There's stuff O'Keefe's Working Hands Hand Cream. I had hacks all round my knuckles and used it. Made a great job on them. It takes the pain out first and then they clear up

Ya great stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Wash my hands constantly on farms and small animal work. Dries them out something desperate. Aveeno handcream a big help, in the door of the van and apply after most calls. Still dry but don't have them splitting open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm doing the opposite at the min, got a box of large milking gloves, and wear the builder gloves underneath

You must have the hands of a child!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Epi-Shield is what I use as I get raw knuckles in a light breeze.

http://www.kindelhealth.ie/product/epi-shield-250ml/

250ml lasts me about a year.
    I apply it with a drop of water to thin it slightly. Will last through one or two soap hand-washes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

milking gloves are the business. if you can keep you hands dry its haf the battle.

get the size that fits. too offten you see guys with the XL gloves and they hanging off their fingers then they wonder why they have no dexterity with them on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

get the size that fits. too offten you see guys with the XL gloves and they hanging off their fingers then they wonder why they have no dexterity with them on

+1. So important if you want to retain any sort of dexterity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Again lads gloves are the job, I gave a couple of different pairs for different times for the year and for different jobs, talked the boss man into wearing them a few years ago and he wears them all the time now.

Started wearing black marigolds for picking spuds years ago and used to wear cotton gloves inside and this was great for the winter.

The light work gloves are great I use Q safe ones but also have a couple of heavier ones which are to stop your fingers from getting sliced ( not sure of the brand. Always keep a set of the water proof one in the tractor for taking off the silage plastic.

Only time I need to take off is answer the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

For some reason I thought this thread was about the old RTE series, well worth a watch about days gone by :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

When I was an apprentice on a 100 cow farm back in the early 80's my hands got wrecked from the cold water at the start of milking before the milk cooler heated the water. The farmers wife noticed and got me some sudocreme (good woman) she asked her husband if he wanted some and he said no the his hands were tough :rolleyes: The following day as I was passing the milking parlour I spotted your man inside rubbing udder ointment to his hands :rolleyes:As they say you can't be a bollocks without showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Use skytec aria work gloves here as much as I can and if it’s gona be a wet or messy job pull a pair of black milkers over the top. Find it much better that way as you keep the gloves dry and always find my hands sweat when I just have nitrle gloves on which makes them a lot worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Here is a photo of the gloves I have for the farm.
    Green solvent gloves for handeling chemicals and sprays
    Red builder glvrs for the silage plastic
    Yellow builder gloves for the herbal work but not in the rain
    Black heavy duty work gloves with blade protection
    Light work gloves grand for the summer or for wearing in side the others
    Black work gloves grand for everyday work and have a pair in the car incase I need to keep the hands clean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Cheno Unction. Quare name,great stuff!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I don't use gloves, never had any need for them,
    I use them to lamb ewes or to look after baby lambs for their protection.
    Probably very different if i was milking cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Here is a photo of the gloves I have for the farm.
    Green solvent gloves for handeling chemicals and sprays
    Red builder glvrs for the silage plastic
    Yellow builder gloves for the herbal work but not in the rain
    Black heavy duty work gloves with blade protection
    Light work gloves grand for the summer or for wearing in side the others
    Black work gloves grand for everyday work and have a pair in the car incase I need to keep the hands clean

Good selection .
    I tried out freedoms idea of the skins under the work gloves last week and it worked a treat . We were stripping blue banger slates in the rain and I was catching them as they slid down the roof . Hands were still good and dry at the end of the day .
    I have the light rubber gloves like marigolds but made by showa (same make as your green ones in the pic ) they are shorter than marigolds and I haven't torn them yet . They are nice for light work and waterproof aswell

Advertisement