Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IFTTT Recipe for Nest Thermostat 'Away Mode'

Options
  • 06-02-2018 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone knows of an IFTTT recipe that would turn on a TP-Link Smart Plug when the Nest Thermostat switches to 'Away' mode,

Having only just got the TP-Link Smart Plug I haven't yet tried to write any recipes for IFTTT control. I'm sure it's doable but if one already exists then it would be the easier option.

My purpose is to switch on a set of security cameras automatically when the house is empty.

Any help will much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭davidod1

For anyone who might be interested; this turned out to be remarkably easy.

A bit of reading up on a number of sites explained the principal around creating a recipe. In fact; on the IFTTT website simple recipe creation is actually automated. I had the job done in a few mouse clicks - and it works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

davidod1 wrote: »

My purpose is to switch on a set of security cameras automatically when the house is empty.

Any help will much appreciated.

From memory it can take the nest up to 2 hours to switch to away mode after motion is detected unless you manually activate away mode in the app.

Could you use geolocation on the phone to control the camera instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭davidod1

Thanks Davy for the response.

I've moved on from IFTTT to Stringify and found that it is far more versatile. You are in fact right that location might be the best way. Stringify allows you to set a location and a perimeter around that. The only thing that I am continuing to work on is that I don't live alone in the house and I need to cover for all inhabitants. I think a movement sensor or two will likely cover that one and Hue sensors can be coped with in Stringify.

It's proving to an interesting and enjoyable journey.

Advertisement