Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Morals or removing emissions control devices from modern diesels

Options
  • 29-01-2018 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

That's a fantastic car 166. Would tip my tax and insurance overboard though. (It's already trough the roof)

EGR delete makes it a dodgy buy. Will fail the UK MOT and I'd see the NCT following suit sharpish.

Conversation moved out from bangernomics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,150 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

coolbeans wrote: »
    EGR delete makes it a dodgy buy. Will fail the UK MOT and I'd see the NCT following suit sharpish.

+1

DPF remove will be next on the NCT failure list. I know why people do that, but it's not really a very nice thing to do unless you don't mind people around you getting cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I still can't get over the government giving cheap tax to diesels. 10 years now at least. I also read recently or at least I think I did that they are thinking of changing the tax rates again.

I'm not the brightest spark but seems funny when cheap tax diesels are hitting the bangernomics rate they decide to screw people over again. When they brought in the cheap tax rates not many could afford a new diesel car. The new thing will be buy a Tesla and pay no tax or some shít. And the price of them. Screwing the working man at every level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭coolbeans

unkel wrote: »
    +1

DPF remove will be next on the NCT failure list. I know why people do that, but it's not really a very nice thing to do unless you don't mind people around you getting cancer.

Can't stand seeing a big puff of black smoke coming out the back of a diesel Makes me want to hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Patww79 wrote: »

Are you lying on the ground behind the car or something?[/quote]

What are you talking about? Sometimes I'm walking, sometimes I'm driving, sometimes I'm cycling. Point remains valid. Black smoke means extra doses of carcinogenic particulates coming out the back and poisoning everyone...even those who don't believe. ;) Deleting pollution controls is a dick move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Most of the diesels with black smoke are because they are choked up from the EGR.

My next investment is a Provent catch can for my car. Stop all that oil mist getting back into the inlet manifold. People have drained 500-700ml of oil over 10,000km from their catch can, rather than it get recirculated back into the engine, clog it up, run like crap and cause trouble down the line.

My work Mitsubishi Triton/L200 only has 77,500km on it and the amount of smoke it bellows between gears (auto box) is unreal. Pushing it uphill at motorway speeds there is a cloud of smoke behind it.

At the last service I brought this up and they cleaned out the inlet manifold with a cleaning spray. It was good for the first 5000km and been back to smokey every since.

Imagine all this crap going back into your engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The smell of exhaust fumes is often very prevalant if crossing the road behind a diesel car or walking alongside heavy traffic, much moreso than I ever remember it being in the past.

You can get that sickly sweet smell from when it's mid regeneration, you can literally taste it on your tongue if you get a good mouthful. It's disgusting and that's only from the perspective of a pedestrian in any average town.

I could be wrong but I thought the problem was the invisible, super fine particles that are emitted after fumes have passed through the DPF that are the issue as they are small enough to be inhaled and passed directly into the bloodstream etc i think I read somewhere, whereas the solid black soot emissions you see from older diesels are still very bad for you, due to their size they don't stay suspended in the air for as long so actually pose less of a risk*.

*Not a doctor, mechanic, engineer or scientist, I think I read that somewhere online before?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

/.../ super fine particles that are emitted after fumes have passed through the DPF that are the issue as they are small enough to be inhaled and passed directly into the bloodstream etc i think I read somewhere, whereas the solid black soot emissions you see from older diesels are still very bad for you, due to their size they don't stay suspended in the air for as long so actually pose less of a risk*.

The issue with the small particulates is... the petrol engines produce them as well. A few brands started to install GPF already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The smell of exhaust fumes is often very prevalant if crossing the road behind a diesel car or walking alongside heavy traffic, much moreso than I ever remember it being in the past.

Petrol cars used to stink as well, especially before catalytic convertors. I was driving behind an '88 Starlet recently and had to turn on the recirculation - it was worse than most modern diesels. They've just improved to a point where you'd barely notice them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Petrol cars used to stink as well, especially before catalytic convertors. I was driving behind an '88 Starlet recently and had to turn on the recirculation - it was worse than most modern diesels. They've just improved to a point where you'd barely notice them at all.

I love the old petrol smell. That's how proper cars used to smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The other thing to hear in mind is that certain engines are designed to have a DPF from the outset, so having a removed filter from one of these isn’t the same thing as having an older engine that never had a filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭tphase

grogi wrote: »
    The issue with the small particulates is... the petrol engines produce them as well. A few brands started to install GPF already

some research by EMPA (a Swiss federal research agency) found that modern petrols can be a lot worse for particulate emissions than a modern diesel fitted with a DPF

https://www.empa.ch/web/s604/soot-particles-from-gdi

tphase wrote: »
    some research by EMPA (a Swiss federal research agency) found that modern petrols can be a lot worse for particulate emissions than a modern diesel fitted with a DPF

https://www.empa.ch/web/s604/soot-particles-from-gdi

It's worth quoting this picture... I have no idea what it shows, but long bar must mean bad things ;)

194b09a1-4f51-4c8b-bbb0-27d67df54ff4?t=1495545096550

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Was behind a Lexus 220 one day who obviously had done the whole remap, dpf and egr removal.
    We were on back roads and the smoke from his car when he accelerated hard basically hid his entire car which meant I had zero visibility and meant having to stay at least 100 yards back. There’s no way he didn’t know but it was obvious he didn’t care.
    Any thoughts I had of doing it to mine was out the window after seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Removing DPF is a total clown move. Not only is it obvious as hell but also it's the car emission equivalent of just f****n your household rubbish into the next ditch.

Its one of my pet hates tbh. If you do this you probably think you're smarter than everyone else but in reality you're just a bigger arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

There's a white 00 Passat going around Athlone with the whole lot removed.
    Straight through pipe ,boo sounds and all.

The back of it is covered in black soot above the exhaust, so imagine what its spewing into the air.

There's a white 00 Passat going around Athlone with the whole lot removed.
    Straight through pipe ,boo sounds and all.

The back of it is covered in black soot above the exhaust, so imagine what its spewing into the air.

00 would not have DPF... And you would not see removed EGR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Yep I realized after I had posted I was talking about a 00 car.
    But the point of whats coming out the pipe is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It still could be remapped or modified in some way to improve performance at the detriment of emissions. My 406 HDi of similar era (though a '00 Passat my not be common-rail?) would only ever emit a grey haze at worst, and that would be flooring it at >3k RPM.

Glad I got away from that muck anyway, and moved to an (indirect injection!) petrol PHEV (Prius :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

It still could be remapped or modified in some way to improve performance at the detriment of emissions. My 406 HDi of similar era (though a '00 Passat my not be common-rail?) would only ever emit a grey haze at worst, and that would be flooring it at >3k RPM.

Glad I got away from that muck anyway, and moved to an (indirect injection!) petrol PHEV (Prius :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

It is actually pretty sad that all the latest progress in ICE efficiency - lean mixture powering Miller cycle - do produce much more pollutants than an old and tested indirect injection V6. I start to believe that a naturally aspirated V6 with cylinder deactivation and indirect injection would have been a much better option than downsizing the crap out of everything... And still be rather efficient...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It is actually pretty sad that all the latest progress in ICE efficiency - lean mixture powering Miller cycle - do produce much more pollutants than an old and tested indirect injection V6. I start to believe that a naturally aspirated V6 with cylinder deactivation and indirect injection would have been a much better option than downsizing the crap out of everything... And still be rather efficient...

Would be much nicer to drive, too - six cylinder petrol engines are just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Are you lying on the ground behind the car or something?

Jump on 2 wheels .. preferably with a petrol motor, you'll smell everything from the dirty diesel, to the petrol running rich, the guy running chip fat, and if you're in cork you'll even smell the tic-tacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,530 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reading the above I can only really see one common thread through the whole thing.
    There are too many petrol/diesel cars being used where electric only should be used.

Talking of banning diesels is madness and for those of us who really Need the economy of a diesel we would be punished for failed government policy.

What we need is a proper incentive for city and urban based folks to have ev over conventional motors. This lessens the intense burden on the environment from petrol & diesels while leaving them available for those of us who have no other option.

We’re a two car house and can’t do without diesel. Both cars do 30-35k kms a year and I tow a trailer regularly, this would be a common theme throughout rural Ireland, we don’t usually have the typical dpf/egr problems with longer trips things stay cleaner.
    But punishing rural Ireland because people were incentivised to buy diesels when they shouldn’t have been is madness. We should be leading by incentivising the correct urban cars rather than punishing those rural folk with the correct cars for their needs.

I think interfering with the pollution control equipment on a car should be a criminal offence with appropriate repercussions.

Talk of banning diesel or lumping huge taxes on its use needs to be thought through. All transport is currently done through diesel. So you’d be looking at a huge hit on the cost of living, maybe 10% or more.
    All the foods in the shops gets dearer, busses, trains, taxis all diesel and all impacted by this madness.
    People really need to think about what they are wishing for and the implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

What have monkeys and a German car manufacturer got in common.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-28/volkswagen-apologizes-for-testing-of-diesel-fumes-on-monkeys

Tested on humans too....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Muckie wrote: »
    What have monkeys and a German car manufacturer got in common.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-28/volkswagen-apologizes-for-testing-of-diesel-fumes-on-monkeys

Tested on humans too....:eek:

That's ****ing disgraceful. And I'm not naive as I know thousands of animals are tested on weekly around the world. I'm no animal rights activist or anything but that really does need to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I don't think posters here know exactly what a dpf and egr actually do.

A dpf is a diesel particulate filter. In a nutshell, it's a soot filter. It does not change the gas content of the exhaust. It will not make any difference in the current nct opacity tests.

An egr is an exhaust gas recirculation valve. It is a valve that ONLY opens when the engine is idling to divert a portion of the exhaust back into the air intake. This brings the emissions down during idle, but then closes for when the go pedal is pressed and the engine gives its normal gas exhaust output. Egr delete or blanking just keeps the valve closed at all times and stops the engine from reburning exhaust fumes on idle. It does nothing else when revved. The main benefit is a smoother idle at the cost of higher idle only emissions.

mullingar wrote: »
    I don't think posters here know exactly what a dpf and egr actually do.

Some clearly don't...
    In a nutshell, it's a soot filter. It does not change the gas content of the exhaust.

Apart from the minor detail it reduces the amount of particulate matter by 99% or even more...
    It will not make any difference in the current nct opacity tests.

Soot is black. Lack of soot is transparent... There is an obvious opacity difference...
    An egr is an exhaust gas recirculation valve. It is a valve that ONLY opens when the engine is idling to divert a portion of the exhaust back into the air intake.

Incorrect. The exhaust gases are recirculated in majority of road conditions. It is only under full load that the EGR valve closes completely. When full power is not needed, too much oxygen fed by the intake will bring the burning temperature too high. EGR allows to keep it under control.
    This brings the emissions down during idle, but then closes for when the go pedal is pressed and the engine gives its normal gas exhaust output. Egr delete or blanking just keeps the valve closed at all times and stops the engine from reburning exhaust fumes on idle.

There is nothing to reburn there. That's the whole point of recirculating the exhaust gases - to slow down the burning process and reduce its temperature, which reduced NOx content in exhaust gases.
    It does nothing else when revved. The main benefit is a smoother idle at the cost of higher idle only emissions.

When the EGR valve is working, there is no benefit of blanking it. It is only when the valve gets blocked in open position, too much gases get recirculated - hence too little oxygen gets into the mixture. You also make it sound that the emissions are slightly bigger with EGR valve blanked. They are not - levels of NOx might be 50x higher without EGR than when it is working as desired.

Advertisement