Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ross accidentally votes against his own Road Traffic Bill in the Dáil

• 18-01-2018 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0118/934273-dail-drink-drive-penalties/

So Minister Ross accidently votes against his own bill. He realised he had pressed the wrong button and immediately had the record amended. Firstly, is there a case that votes in the past had been passed, or failed, because TDs didn't realise they pressed the wrong button? Is voting by pressing a button necessarily the safest way to decide on legislation? Will Minister Ross now accept that anybody can make a mistake and should be given the benefit of the doubt, as he was?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Why am I not surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

This why TDs should be breathalysed before voting

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Gas that Mattie McGrath tried to block his change of vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised.

Me neither. As a candidate he bemoaned the inability of government to get things done and since getting into cabinet he has shown great difficulty in making decisions himself.

Me neither. As a candidate he bemoaned the inability of government to get things done and since getting into cabinet he has shown great difficulty in making decisions himself.

Correct. He has exposed himself as everything he wrote about previously when he was not a TD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think he's done well regarding public transport unions. Sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

His excuse on the last word is that he's colour blind and finds it hard to tell the buttons apart

I think he's done well regarding public transport unions. Sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do.

Yes. Id say the Luas drivers, train drivers and bus drivers are happy with their pay rises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Stheno wrote: »
    His excuse on the last word is that he's colour blind and finds it hard to tell the buttons apart

And can't read the big "Tá" or "Nil" written on them either, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Yes. Id say the Luas drivers, train drivers and bus drivers are happy with their pay rises.
    The luas drivers, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

An enquiry or a report board will now be set up at a cost of 100's of thousands of Euro to find out a better way to vote so this never happens again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Unfortunately I was one of those misled into lending him my vote last time. Fool me once and all that. Never again. Complete hypocrite, proverbial rabbit in the headlights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

ha ha ha what an absolute clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's not the first time a TD has done something like this -

Labour TD 'mistakenly' votes against Government on abortion

It really isn't difficult, but to give them the benefit of the doubt I'd imagine it was down to being so focused on not voting a particular way that they inadvertently goofed. I'm really not sure how the process can be made any easier though to avoid such gaffes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do they keep swapping the positions of the buttons around on him or something?

Cos I'd guess they are in the same spot for all votes, No?

Advertisement