Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I made a Zelda chest that lights up and plays the melody when you open it

• 18-01-2018 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought you might like it!

yMIadgp.jpg

I made a chest from the Zelda games, the "metal" parts are 3d printed and the wood is made from varnished lollipop sticks. When you open the chest it will turn on lights and a tiny arduino will play the chest opening melody.

I made it as a present for Reddit Secret Santa this year. I've a video describing how i made it here if you are interested:

Links to the parts, the code and 3d files can be found in the description. Let me know if you have any questions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

never mind the chest (which is awesome) that commute checker in your sig is ****ing genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Haven't had a chance to watch the video but Nintendo had a similar thing included in the Japanese Collector's Edition of Hyrule Warriors for Wii U, it had the opening chest musical jingle as well. I'm fairly sure that was the game, anyway it never came to Ireland. :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That's fantastic OP, fair play to you for the time and effort put in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sparko

Wow that guy was so lucky that you got him. Fantastic work.

What did you get from your secret santa if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Banjo wrote: »
    never mind the chest (which is awesome) that commute checker in your sig is ****ing genius!

Thanks! I have some stuff to make another one that I'm meant to do for a guide for Adafruit and make a video from it but I keep putting it off (as mentioned in the video there is a guide on instructables already)
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    That's fantastic OP, fair play to you for the time and effort put in!!

Thanks, it was a fun project to work on!
    Sparko wrote: »
    Wow that guy was so lucky that you got him. Fantastic work.

What did you get from your secret santa if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!

I got a load of chocolate and sweets!

https://www.redditgifts.com/gallery/gift/diet-will-have-start-next-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

That is awesome fair play. Is their a reaction you can link to from the receiver of the gift? I'd say he was chuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

iamtony wrote: »
    That is awesome fair play. Is their a reaction you can link to from the receiver of the gift? I'd say he was chuffed!

Sure, its here

He also sent me a really nice PM thanking me for all the stuff.

Advertisement