Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone ever pay rent through airbnb?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

April 73 wrote: »
    I'd go for it in your shoes & if I was looking for somewhere for a relatively short period. The worst case is that the LL changes his mind in two months time. In which case you're no worse off than you are now tramping around to viewings with loads of people in competition with you. Best case it works out.

We just did it. Paid for 60 days from 2nd week in Jan.
    Before he accepted it the landlord called me to make sure it was us and that we were happy with the arrangement.
    We said we were and a few mins later the notification came through from Airbnb.
    All very easy actually. Had to send Airbnb a photo of my passport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I am an airbnb host, I am on their forums and I read about lots of long term (3/6 month) rentals, they are treated the same as other airbnb rentals. Your money is very safe with airbnb, they are very strict about who you rent to and from and they will guarantee your money back should an issue arise. it suits ye perfect for a 6 month lease, and he gets to do what he wants with his property.

I am sure it will all work out for you-nice to see someone with common sense and fair play in mind, rather than the trying to pull a fast one, or pulling a fast one before it's pulled on you. As said earlier, karma is a b***h.

Just an update.
    It's still a few days until we move but the landlord has been in touch with us and sent us all the details about bins, services etc. And asked for our details for the parking disks. He even sent us which provider works best for mobile broadband. Seems totally on the ball.
    I'll update when we move in but all told it's very smooth so far.
    The best bit is all the queing and elbowing with people to find a place was bypassed. That was just a horrible experience. I think it's a much easier system for the tenant this way too.
    All the rent goes off our credit card, we book for 60 days at a time. If we want to leave we just don't book the next 60 days. If he wants us to leave he just doesn't accept the next booking. I'm sure the landlord has to pay a percentage to Airbnb but I reckon it works out well for him too. He doesn't have to worry about getting the money from us or rent being late and if we stopped paying I think it would be less trouble for him getting rid of us if he wanted.
    I think it's a win win, I'll update when we move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

KellyXX wrote: »
    Just an update.
    It's still a few days until we move but the landlord has been in touch with us and sent us all the details about bins, services etc. And asked for our details for the parking disks. He even sent us which provider works best for mobile broadband. Seems totally on the ball.
    I'll update when we move in but all told it's very smooth so far.
    The best bit is all the queing and elbowing with people to find a place was bypassed. That was just a horrible experience. I think it's a much easier system for the tenant this way too.
    All the rent goes off our credit card, we book for 60 days at a time. If we want to leave we just don't book the next 60 days. If he wants us to leave he just doesn't accept the next booking. I'm sure the landlord has to pay a percentage to Airbnb but I reckon it works out well for him too. He doesn't have to worry about getting the money from us or rent being late and if we stopped paying I think it would be less trouble for him getting rid of us if he wanted.
    I think it's a win win, I'll update when we move in.

That's great news, congratulations.

I think it's only a win win if, like you, the tennant is only looking for a short-term rental. I wouldn't be able to relax with the stress of knowing that each month I may be boxing up my things and having to move again (and presumably with little to no notice).

Hope it continues to be smooth sailing for you!

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    That's great news, congratulations.

I think it's only a win win if, like you, the tennant is only looking for a short-term rental. I wouldn't be able to relax with the stress of knowing that each month I may be boxing up my things and having to move again (and presumably with little to no notice).

Hope it continues to be smooth sailing for you!

Tbf i think i would prefer to move every 6 months and go through airbnb if it meant not going to go through the torture of loads of people at every viewing that goes on now.

The guy whose house im going to did say his next door neighbour is doing the same thing and that swapping apartments is an option if I wanted to stay more than 6 months , but I don't think I'll need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Great if it works for you in this case, but for it to become standard practise clearly wouldn’t be good for society as a whole:
    - one private company controlling the rental market and taking a cut for every rental is a very bad idea
    - while I don’t necessarily agree with all current government policies regarding the rental market, a supposedly short term rental service which is being used to evade rent control and tenant protection regulations isn’t good in the long term (if regulations are bad, society as a whole can decide to change them, large scale rule avoidance is not a solution)

Bob24 wrote: »
    Great if it works for you in this case, but for it to become standard practise clearly wouldn’t be good for society as a whole:
    - one private company controlling the rental market and taking a cut for every rental is a very bad idea
    - while I don’t necessarily agree with all current government policies regarding the rental market, a supposedly short term rental service which is being used to evade rent control and tenant protection regulations isn’t good in the long term (if regulations are bad, society as a whole can decide to change them, large scale rule avoidance is not a solution)

I can see your point and think while it may not suit most people. It is a great way for someone that is moving for 6 months or a year for a job, or perhaps waiting for their own house, or renovating their own house so have to move. I really fail to see the issue, in a rental like this, demand will dictate the price, some landlords may even rent cheaper than the market rate-maybe they are on a 6 month holiday, maybe moving to look after a sick relative, maybe moving for a 3/6 month contract. The market needs less restrictions, that is what is turning people off being landlords and it's also turning people off being tenants and so choosing to buy properties.

I prefer 5 year leases with my tenants if I can get them, I had a house let and agreed for 4 years, she moved out after 18 months, she left the place filthy, so bad that the dirt on the handrail had to be scraped off, I had to repaint everything after only 18 months!!!! I had no way of recouping my losses or of getting reimbursed even though she went back on her word, however, if a landlord did that, we'd be hearing from PRTB Threshold and every other society :(

I have had another two tenants that moved out after 4 years-I went in to refurbish after they left-I had to do nothing except wash the floors and the showers. But even if I would have had to repaint-after 4 years its no problem, but having to do it every 12 or 18 months, that really eats into your profits.

Bob24 wrote: »

You mean our government is the company controlling the rental market and taking a huge cut of rents paid?
    Thats certainly not working out for the likes of myself anyway.

I can see your point and think while it may not suit most people. It is a great way for someone that is moving for 6 months or a year for a job, or perhaps waiting for their own house, or renovating their own house so have to move. I really fail to see the issue, in a rental like this, demand will dictate the price, some landlords may even rent cheaper than the market rate-maybe they are on a 6 month holiday, maybe moving to look after a sick relative, maybe moving for a 3/6 month contract. The market needs less restrictions, that is what is turning people off being landlords and it's also turning people off being tenants and so choosing to buy properties.

I prefer 5 year leases with my tenants if I can get them, I had a house let and agreed for 4 years, she moved out after 18 months, she left the place filthy, so bad that the dirt on the handrail had to be scraped off, I had to repaint everything after only 18 months!!!! I had no way of recouping my losses or of getting reimbursed even though she went back on her word, however, if a landlord did that, we'd be hearing from PRTB Threshold and every other society :(

I have had another two tenants that moved out after 4 years-I went in to refurbish after they left-I had to do nothing except wash the floors and the showers. But even if I would have had to repaint-after 4 years its no problem, but having to do it every 12 or 18 months, that really eats into your profits.

When I was in a but if a tizzy I went to threshold.
    I was told to my face by threshold so sign a lease for any length of time the landlord wanted in order to get in the door. They said it means nothing to the tenants at all, but ties the landlord to it, so they suggested unused that to my advantage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

When I was in a but if a tizzy I went to threshold.
    I was told to my face by threshold so sign a lease for any length of time the landlord wanted in order to get in the door. They said it means nothing to the tenants at all, but ties the landlord to it, so they suggested unused that to my advantage.

The information you received from Threshold is seriously questionable.
    You have a legally binding agreement with Airbnb- who in turn, have an agreement with the landlord. Airbnb also have an agreement with Revenue to supply them with all details of any and all lettings to Revenue- to ensure tax is paid on the income in an appropriate manner.

The longest you can stay in an Airbnb letting in Ireland is 180 days- and the Minister has stated that the longest any property owner will be allowed to let a property on the site in any rolling 365 day period is 180 days, however, this has not been implemented in law, thus far

Ps- if this is an apartment complex- of further concern is whether or not Airbnb is permitted in the development. Recent discussion revolves around the need for owners to get a change of use permission for units to be used on Airbnb- and this is already a requirement in two Dublin local authorities- its not as straightforward or without complication for either the occupant or the owner..........

• Advertisement

The information you received from Threshold is seriously questionable.
    You have a legally binding agreement with Airbnb- who in turn, have an agreement with the landlord. Airbnb also have an agreement with Revenue to supply them with all details of any and all lettings to Revenue- to ensure tax is paid on the income in an appropriate manner.

The longest you can stay in an Airbnb letting in Ireland is 180 days- and the Minister has stated that the longest any property owner will be allowed to let a property on the site in any rolling 365 day period is 180 days, however, this has not been implemented in law, thus far

Ps- if this is an apartment complex- of further concern is whether or not Airbnb is permitted in the development. Recent discussion revolves around the need for owners to get a change of use permission for units to be used on Airbnb- and this is already a requirement in two Dublin local authorities- its not as straightforward or without complication for either the occupant or the owner..........

I think we are talking about different things here.
    180 days is perfect for me for the airbnb place im going to be moving in to.
    I dont think threshold were wrong about a landlord not being able to force a lease no matter how long a person signed it for.
    Ive read so much about it here and on other fora.
    Landlords have to stick to the lease. Tenants have very easy ways out of them.
    You dont sign a lease with airbnb. You book and pay for the days you are going to stay. The other side then accepts you or doesnt and thats just about it.
    I dont think you would get airbnb for longer than 180 days anyway as a landlord might think you would want to overstay and send him off with his tail between his legs to the rtb.
    No way would het let you stay longer. Our guy told us that up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Hope it works out for you OP as this kind of tenure obviously suits you, but the more rental properties that go out of the more secure tenure rental pool, the closer it will come to the local authorities or government seriously clamping down.

At the end of the day (we have a rental property ourselves so I totally get making some income from your property) you have to balance the right to maximize your income with the fact that secure accommodation is a fundamental societal factor.

My feeling is it's going to end in tears for the short term letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You mean our government is the company controlling the rental market and taking a huge cut of rents paid?
    Thats certainly not working out for the likes of myself anyway.

He presumably means Airbnb, or landlords associated with it?

He presumably means Airbnb, or landlords associated with it?

I thought the govt controlled the rental market now. 90% of it anyway. I'm.sure they want to get the rest too. They are working on taking airbnbs slice at the moment.
    They also.make more money from.the private rental market than anyone else including the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Kelly, you've been on some whirlwind with your prior landlord evicting you and your baby, to barely having enough to fix the car when you hit that rock. Do you really want to get tangled up in this Airbnb at this stage in your life being nearly 50? What happened buying a house with your 300grand bitcoin profits?

myshirt wrote: »
    Kelly, you've been on some whirlwind with your prior landlord evicting you and your baby, to barely having enough to fix the car when you hit that rock. Do you really want to get tangled up in this Airbnb at this stage in your life being nearly 50? What happened buying a house with your 300grand bitcoin profits?

Yes, things have been eventful lately.
    But you do seem to jump to conclusions a lot.
    It's kind of scary but I guess the internet is built for stalkers. Thank God you don't have my Facebook.

But you missed a lot in your stalking of me.
    I'm nowhere near 50, that would make me very close to my parents age, which would be just weird, and whenever I got a puncture I could afford to fix it. I also never said how much we made from.our investments.

Yes we do have to leave our current property, which upset me an awful lot. Searching for a property with a baby and 20 other people at viewings is not good for you. You are never going to get the callback. Im bipolar and that really got to me, but I'm over that episode, now that things are finally working out and I'll be back in work too next week, which is good for me.

We are looking to buy a house. We were priced out of the market during our fist attempts, but have enough to buy again now. That's why 6 months suits us perfectly. And so does the whole renting it via Airbnb procedure. I really thought someone here would have done it, but since it seems to be so rare , so I really think I can help others by telling them of my experience now that I'm going to do it. It's just too hard to rent nowadays with all the competition you have a for every property that I feel like I'm.doing a service to others in the situation by letting them know if I find anyway to reduce the stress of the rent hunt. We will be in next week, so I'll go with an update. Never know it could all fall apart. We have some things to iron out before we do buy, but it should be all ironed out by 6 months down the line hopefully.

Sounds like things have turned around for you Kelly, great to see.

I know that being bipolar can take a massive toll at any time, I have some friends with it. A few of them get great relief from cycling- they have joined clubs and meet a few times a week, so yes , they get dressed in Lycra, go out with other like minded people to get their exercise as well as their social aspect improved. Way better than going to the pub- they will live longer and be healthier, if they manage not to get hit by people that don’t think that cyclists should be allowed use the road- but at least they are doing something to stave off that mental illness. It helps depression as well as many other things, and way better than being stuck in a gym and driving to from a gym causing more traffic to an already bad traffic problem.

Glad the btc worked out, many people took a gamble and pulled out in time- fair play to you!!!
    Yes, things have been eventful lately.
    But you do seem to jump to conclusions a lot.
    It's kind of scary but I guess the internet is built for stalkers. Thank God you don't have my Facebook.

But you missed a lot in your stalking of me.
    I'm nowhere near 50, that would make me very close to my parents age, which would be just weird, and whenever I got a puncture I could afford to fix it. I also never said how much we made from.our investments.

Yes we do have to leave our current property, which upset me an awful lot. Searching for a property with a baby and 20 other people at viewings is not good for you. You are never going to get the callback. Im bipolar and that really got to me, but I'm over that episode, now that things are finally working out and I'll be back in work too next week, which is good for me.

We are looking to buy a house. We were priced out of the market during our fist attempts, but have enough to buy again now. That's why 6 months suits us perfectly. And so does the whole renting it via Airbnb procedure. I really thought someone here would have done it, but since it seems to be so rare , so I really think I can help others by telling them of my experience now that I'm going to do it. It's just too hard to rent nowadays with all the competition you have a for every property that I feel like I'm.doing a service to others in the situation by letting them know if I find anyway to reduce the stress of the rent hunt. We will be in next week, so I'll go with an update. Never know it could all fall apart. We have some things to iron out before we do buy, but it should be all ironed out by 6 months down the line hopefully.

I find the gym and lots of running on the beach helps me a lot. I'm lucky I suppose.
    I hadn't had an episode in year up until the last one. Amazing what can trigger it.

Well it's moving in day today. Just met the landlord today for the keys. Everything seems grand.

The more I thought a bit this the more I thought it's great that you can just rent a place a few months at a time and just move when it suits you. No leases , deposits or anything like that. But you do have to pay the rent in advance. I decided to do 60 days at a time.

I'll let you know if there are any hiccups, but it's fine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Best of luck. Hope it all goes well. Sounds like it will now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Well it's moving in day today. Just met the landlord today for the keys. Everything seems grand.

The more I thought a bit this the more I thought it's great that you can just rent a place a few months at a time and just move when it suits you. No leases , deposits or anything like that. But you do have to pay the rent in advance. I decided to do 60 days at a time.

Can't say I'd be particularly comfortable raising a family in a 'home' that I could be asked to leave anytime at practically zero notice.

I can't imagine it's a scenario many renters would be comfortable with, I guess it might suit a small set of renters as stop-gap/transient arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

So you've paid 60 days in advance. When do you "book" another 60 days? Presumably near the end of the current 60 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Graham wrote: »
    Can't say I'd be particularly comfortable raising a family in a 'home' that I could be asked to leave anytime at practically zero notice.

I can't imagine it's a scenario many renters would be comfortable with, I guess it might suit a small set of renters as stop-gap/transient arrangement.

Yes that’s the thing. The day before the end of the current period the owner can say they are not interested in another booking. And this could end in tears having to move to a hotel and looking for new accommodation in a panic (with the owner having done nothing wrong as it was always a short term rental contract).

Personally that’s something I would only do if I knew it was for a set period of time while I am waiting for something else I know will happen (if I know I will be moving to another city in 2 months, if I know I am refurbishing a property I intend to live in an the works will take 2 months, etc).

Pelvis wrote: »
    So you've paid 60 days in advance. When do you "book" another 60 days? Presumably near the end of the current 60 days?

Im told I can do it now if I want, even for the next 6 months, but I think I'll wait a month and see how it goes and then book another 60 max at a time if all is well.
    I would do the entire 6 months if I thought I might not need to move out before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Graham wrote: »

It wouldn't be a 'home'. There's some attempt in this thread to almost suggest this as a potential solution, but apart from it providing a workaround for a landlord looking to avoid rental tenancy obligations there's nothing here that will prove attractive to the general renter.

On top of that, new planning guidance regarding AirBnBs probably makes the arrangement described in this thread illegal right off the bat to start with...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Im told I can do it now if I want, even for the next 6 months, but I think I'll wait a month and see how it goes and then book another 60 max at a time if all is well.
    I would do the entire 6 months if I thought I might not need to move out before then.

If at any point you reach an arrangement that spans beyond six months you can claim Part IV Tenancy rights. I'm sure your landlord is fully aware of this and will avoid same, but it's worth noting. The platform used for payment or the split of individual terms that get you to an unbroken tenancy of six months or more don't matter.

Advertisement