Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting from LPG Gas to Oil?

Options
  • 14-12-2017 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I'm looking for advice on converting from LPG gas heating system (with housing estate central supply) to oil heating system, in terms of running costs.  Currently my parents house is gas heated with 2 zones and a gas fire in sitting room.  Running costs (cost per unit, carbon tax and supply charge)  are very high for very low usage. The heat runs for a max 2.5 hrs in zone 1 (downstairs) and 2 hrs zone 2 (upstairs).  Parents are very cost aware and will not turn on to make house comfortable particularly in winter months.. As an example Oct./Nov. usage was 54 cubic meters at total cost €216.  Gas fire is very rarely used, maybe 3-5 times per year. 

The existing Baxi 60/100 boiler is 13 years old and coming to the end of its life so will need to be replaced soon.  Its started to give trouble despite getting it serviced regularly.  Speaking to people in locality some have converted oil and claim that is  much more economical to run that gas, though I have not seen any data that proves this.  Parents will be retiring soon and will be at home much more, so wondering if people would have any experience if oil might be a better choice assume we get an energy efficient boiler and replace gas fire with small stove. 

Would anyone have a recommended way to try and do a comparison gas vs. oil?
    Has anyone made the switch and what would they recommend?
    Any recommended contractors that would be worth speaking to in the north midlands?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

decker100 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for advice on converting from LPG gas heating system (with housing estate central supply) to oil heating system, in terms of running costs.  Currently my parents house is gas heated with 2 zones and a gas fire in sitting room.  Running costs (cost per unit, carbon tax and supply charge)  are very high for very low usage. The heat runs for a max 2.5 hrs in zone 1 (downstairs) and 2 hrs zone 2 (upstairs).  Parents are very cost aware and will not turn on to make house comfortable particularly in winter months.. As an example Oct./Nov. usage was 54 cubic meters at total cost €216.  Gas fire is very rarely used, maybe 3-5 times per year. 

The existing Baxi 60/100 boiler is 13 years old and coming to the end of its life so will need to be replaced soon.  Its started to give trouble despite getting it serviced regularly.  Speaking to people in locality some have converted oil and claim that is  much more economical to run that gas, though I have not seen any data that proves this.  Parents will be retiring soon and will be at home much more, so wondering if people would have any experience if oil might be a better choice assume we get an energy efficient boiler and replace gas fire with small stove. 

Any recommended contractors that would be worth speaking to in the north midlands?

Thanks.

Im guessing a ber assessor should be able to do an assessment on house and do a cost comparison between lpg and oil on the house

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

decker100 wrote: »

Thanks.

That baxi is old to be fair. If I were you I’d stay with gas, upgrade the boiler and heating controls if possible. This would reduce the gas bill even more and cost a lot less than switching to oil. There are grants available for upgrading too.

What area are you in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

A handy comparison is this: https://www.seai.ie/resources/publications/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparisons.pdf
    It suggests a 25% / 30% saving in running costs by going from LPG to kerosene.
    You would have to assess whether that 25% saving alone can pay for fitting oil tank etc. and the hassle factor of arranging their own oil supplies.
    DTP1979's advice about upgrading the LPG boiler to a more efficient one and upgrading controls would probably be a better solution - they would use less fuel.
    See: https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-grants/better-energy-homes/heating-upgrade-grants/ for the grant
    Also, the use of a gas fire complicates matters here - if they moved to oil for the space heating, would they still want to keep on the gas fire? If so, they would either have to pay a standing charge for gas, or else use bottled gas (which is double the price). Those gas fires imply an open chimney, which is a great way to lose heat from a house...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 decker100

Thanks All,
    Location is Longford, I don't have any need to keep the gas fire (there are central heating radiators already in that room) so would likely take that out and replace with stove if was doing conversion oil.  Original heating was installed in 2003 when house was built so it should still qualify for a grant for boiler and heating controls upgrade.
    In general it would seem that moving from gas to oil does offer a cheaper running cost when all the work is done assuming there are no more carbon levies etc. imposed.  I guess a costing for the conversion (decomissioning the gas, oil tank installation an, and oil boiler & controls installation)  I should also have mentioned that ability to control heat while away ( Nest or similar) from home is important too.  Anyone used a reputable contractor in area to this type of work before?
    Thanks .

Advertisement