Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Council Grants for National Governing Bodies

Options
  • 29-11-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

The list below is taken from the 2017 Sport Ireland brochure. It shows the capital grants given to a number of sporting bodies. The full list is very long so I have just shown a sample.You will note that the Clay pigeon shooters got €36,000 this year and last year. You will also note that the Archers got €12,000 each year and the baton twirlers got €14,000 each year.
    Fair play to the Clay shooters/ They have similar grants for many years and put them to good use, but where are the grants for the target rifle and pistol shooters? We used to get such grants up until the time that the Shooting Sports Association was closed down by two of the organisations that were part of it. Since this time no grants have been given, primarily because there was no recognised governing body to apply for or get them. Should this change?

NGB 2016 2017
    Pitch and Putt Union of Ireland 63,000 63,000
    ROI Billiards & Snooker Association 63,000 63,000
    Irish Deaf Sports Association 61,000 61,000
    Irish Underwater Council 60,000 60,000
    Irish Orienteering Association 45,000 45,000
    Irish Clay Target Shooting Association 36,000 36,000
    Vision Sports Ireland 35,000 35,000
    Irish Olympic Handball Association 35,000 35,000
    Irish Martial Arts Commission 30,000 30,000
    Fencing Ireland 27,000 27,000
    Irish Tenpin Bowling Association 27,000 27,000
    Bowling League of Ireland 24,000 24,000
    Irish American Football Association 23,000 23,000
    Weightlifting Ireland 22,000 22,000
    Irish Tug of War Association 22,000 22,000
    Bol Chumann na hÉireann 20,000 20,000
    Irish Waterski & Wakeboard Federation 20,000 20,000
    Racquetball Association of Ireland 15,000 15,000
    Irish Amateur Wrestling Association 15,000 15,000
    Baton Twirling Sport Association of Ireland 14,000 14,000
    Archery Ireland 12,000 12,000
    Rugby League Ireland 11,000 11,000
    Speleological Union of Ireland 10,000 10,000
    Angling Council of Ireland 10,000 10,000
    Irish Taekwondo Union 9,000 9,000
    ONAKAI 6,000 6,000
    Croquet Association of Ireland 5,000 5,000
    Horseshoe Pitchers Association of Ireland 4,000 5,000
    Motor Cycling Ireland * 60,000 *
    National Aero Club of Ireland - -
    Ice Skating Association of Ireland - -
    Trout Anglers Federation of Ireland - -
    Special Projects & Programmes ** 140,000 151,000
    Total 10,860,000 10,812,000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Seriously?
    Are you ****ing kidding me?
    You've some neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭badaj0z

It was that article which prompted me to start this thread. That was a sorry end to the last process but is not relevant to my question. The target shooting sports have missed out on significant grant aid since that time but we are as entitled to it as any other sport if we qualify. We do not have an NGB recognised by the Sports Council but that could be remedied. Perhaps the NTSA could take the lead?

I'm afraid it's highly relevant to your question because it remains unresolved and until it is resolved, the DoAST will not entertain a request for more funding from the same people.
    And the "but that was a different committee!" will not cut much ice with them, this is the professional's league we're talking about here.
    Also, the NTSA are not an umbrella body, are organised on completely different lines, left the SSAI for a reason, and the last time I checked, the SSAI's replacement body FISA, was in the hands of the NASRPC.

In other words, you're asking why a situation brought about by the NASRPC is there, saying the body the NASRPC is currently running doesn't exist, and asking why the DoAST won't fund us.

I mean, there are sillier self-answering questions, but they don't require quite such a neck to ask.

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm afraid it's highly relevant to your question because it remains unresolved and until it is resolved, the DoAST will not entertain a request for more funding from the same people.

Then it needs to be resolved doesn’it? Or would you rather do nothing?

And the "but that was a different committee!" will not cut much ice with them, this is the professional's league we're talking about here.

That is a totally illogical statement. Different committee, different people, different attitudes, different actions!

Also, the NTSA are not an umbrella body, are organised on completely different lines, left the SSAI for a reason, and the last time I checked, the SSAI's replacement body FISA, was in the hands of the NASRPC.

FISA. The replacement body does not seem to have functioned and I can find no evidence of meetings or actions. The only 3 officers appointed to the committee were from the NASRPC, ITS and the PC. So it was not in the hands of the NASRPC(old committee) but of 3 bodies.

Let us have a closer look at your answer Sparks:

The SSAI which was the renamed NRPAI, had been up and running succesfully applying for and distributing grant monies to the organisations that were part of it. e.g. the NASRC, NTSA,NSAI etc. What happened to change this? The usual thing, which you deny the existence of, people change. Organisations such as the ones we are discussing here have only one main asset, which is the people who do the work usually volunteers. There is a spectrum of performance of such organisations from excellent through adequate to poor. Change the committee and you change the organisation. Why do you keep denying this is the case? Why did you serve on such committees unless you thought you could contribute? Sometimes, without good leadership, a committee and hence the organisation can lose it's way. This is what happened with the last SSAI committee and the overlap of representation from the NASRPC.

Quoting from the article you wrote and linked to above:

“This prompted much noise and heat (if very little light) from the members of the audience, whose National Governing Body, the NASRPC – as an affiliated member of the SSAI – derived much of its annual funding from the Irish Sports Council grant. The mechanism for this was simple in nature – each affiliated member of the SSAI prepared a grant application and forwarded this to the SSAI committee, who collated these applications into a single composite document and forwarded it to the Irish Sports Council for consideration. With the Irish Sports Council grant on hold therefore, the NASRPC could not obtain monies through this route. It was spelled out in no uncertain terms that while this was unfortunate and a resolution was being sought with vigour, the problem had been caused during the tenure of the previous SSAI committee, who were now the loudest complainants from the NASRPC and who indeed held committee posts within the NASRPC. The SSAI undertook to continue to work on the problem, and the matter appeared to rest at that point.

In simple terms you state the that people who caused the problem with the Grant Administration whilst being on the SSAI committee, then moved to the NASRPC committee and complained about it.

The last SSAI committee was dominated by people who voted it out of existence. I really do not understand why . The replacement body never functioned at all, let alone well, and that resulted in the farce you described above .Looking at the names of the people in power on that last committee is an interesting exercise

In other words, you're asking why a situation brought about by the NASRPC is there, saying the body the NASRPC is currently running doesn't exist, and asking why the DoAST won't fund us.
    That is a really inane statement Sparks. I always gave you credit for comprehension but it seems your innate bias against many posters on here has got in the way.

Just to be clear as regards your paraphrasing, I am not saying that. I am not asking why the DoAST will not fund us. That is obvious. I am asking whether we should just accept the situation and give up on ever getting funding again, as you seem to want to do, or should we address the issues at the heart of it and attempt to re-engage with the DoAST? Blaming the new NASRPC committee for the sins of the old one, which is very popular on here just will not cut it. The new and old are like chalk and cheese. Is it possible for you to develop a positive attitude to ideas to improve our sport instead of continually knocking those who want to develop it?

No one has picked up the mess left and tried to sort it out. In the meantime, no grants are sought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Gleefulprinter

Excuse me Sparks, couldn't help but notice your language. If anyone else did that there would be a warning issued and the post deleted. Also noticed Cass and Vegeta, mods, thanked it. Just pointing it out.

badaj0z wrote: »
    Then it needs to be resolved doesn’it? Or would you rather do nothing?
    This level of misunderstanding is well over the border into the land of taking the absolute mickey.

This is an NASRPC-caused problem. The NASRPC explicitly know this as it was explained, publicly and at length and with supporting documentation. I still have the audio recording of the meeting around here somewhere.

There is a government-defined way to resolve this problem. That resolution has to be brought about by the FISA, as the SSAI's replacement. The FISA are now and have been for some years run by the NASRPC, but I use the word "run" very very loosely because despite years of effectively saying "we can do this better", the DoJ has never heard from FISA since the NASRPC took it over, or at least they hadn't the last time I spoke to them about it.

There is no gray area to dodge this one. It's an accountancy issue. The DoAST want our accounts balanced. The NASRPC are the only ones who are currently empowered by our own structures to do that. They have been for several years now.

For you to come on here and say "hey, should we set up a new body to sort this out" is beyond being a silly mistake, especially for someone who only in the last week picked a fight over whether or not he was allowed to speak on the NASRPC's behalf.
    That is a totally illogical statement. Different committee, different people, different attitudes, different actions!
    I strongly urge you to consider selling off the concessions stand rights to third-party vendors when you try to sell that one to the professional civil servants in the DoAST.
    You'll make a killing on the popcorn alone.

FISA. The replacement body does not seem to have functioned and I can find no evidence of meetings or actions. The only 3 officers appointed to the committee were from the NASRPC, ITS and the PC. So it was not in the hands of the NASRPC(old committee) but of 3 bodies.
    Could you hold off on criticising the answer when you don't understand it?
    FISA did not have three officers.
    FISA's entire board circulated between four bodies on a rotating basis - the three you've named and the NRAI. The NRAI got the first shift; the NASRPC was next up and then the entire thing stalled out from lack of workers before being handed on.
    Let us have a closer look at your answer Sparks:
    Oh, please, lets.
    The SSAI which was the renamed NRPAI, had been up and running succesfully applying for and distributing grant monies to the organisations that were part of it. e.g. the NASRC, NTSA,NSAI etc. What happened to change this?

We've just covered this. Literally, it's right up there at the top of the thread.
    The usual thing, which you deny the existence of, people change.
    No.
    That wasn't it.
    Recall, the problem with funding arose while the SSAI was extant and before the decision to change it was taken. The people responsible were still around. Many of them (see your current board list) still are.
    The problem was accountancy. Not officeholders changing.

Sometimes, without good leadership, a committee and hence the organisation can lose it's way. This is what happened with the last SSAI committee and the overlap of representation from the NASRPC.
    Nope, sorry, that isn't what happened, and checking the rosters for who was an officer when point that out in black and white.

Have you noticed yet that when I say "that's wrong", I can point to documented evidence and when you say it, everyone can point to documented evidence refuting you?

Does this not drop a hint for you?
    Quoting from the article you wrote and linked to above:
    Not that I want to make a row over it, but this is an interesting side point - what you just did was technically to take something someone else owned copyright on and republish it illegally. This is why you don't see Irish Shooters Digest copy or Irish Times clippings in here these days.
    I'm not saying to take it down - I don't mind myself - but it's a bit illustrative that you aren't quite sure what you're doing here.

Anyways...
    “This prompted much noise and heat (if very little light) from the members of the audience, whose National Governing Body, the NASRPC – as an affiliated member of the SSAI – derived much of its annual funding from the Irish Sports Council grant. The mechanism for this was simple in nature – each affiliated member of the SSAI prepared a grant application and forwarded this to the SSAI committee, who collated these applications into a single composite document and forwarded it to the Irish Sports Council for consideration. With the Irish Sports Council grant on hold therefore, the NASRPC could not obtain monies through this route. It was spelled out in no uncertain terms that while this was unfortunate and a resolution was being sought with vigour, the problem had been caused during the tenure of the previous SSAI committee, who were now the loudest complainants from the NASRPC and who indeed held committee posts within the NASRPC. The SSAI undertook to continue to work on the problem, and the matter appeared to rest at that point."

In simple terms you state the that people who caused the problem with the Grant Administration whilst being on the SSAI committee, then moved to the NASRPC committee and complained about it.
    So that's not how those bodies worked.
    People on the SSAI committee were by default people on committees of other NGBs. Those NGBs selected members of their own committees to serve on the SSAI. So for example, if I recall correctly, the treasurer of the SSAI at the time of this meeting (seated to the left of the chair on the day) was a current-and-then NASRPC board member.

Aside from that, you're close to correct.
    The last SSAI committee was dominated by people who voted it out of existence. I really do not understand why . The replacement body never functioned at all, let alone well, and that resulted in the farce you described above .
    So your history timeline is entirely wrong.
    The sequence was that the funding problem happened long before the SSAI was wound up; and FISA which replaced it functioned for the first six-month shift and then the NASRPC took over and it then just lapsed. Nothing got done. Nothing, as far as I am aware, was ever done. It's still sitting there, gathering cobwebs.
    That is a really inane statement Sparks.
    No, it's not inane, because that's not what inane means. Inane means "lacking sense or meaning".
    The word you're looking for is "irate". "Angry" would do. "Pissed off that people threw away decades of people's work because they were incompetent and ego-driven" would work too, but it's not one word.
    One body screwed up funding for an entire sport, and never put their hands up to it or even had the decency to apologise for the problem, let alone solve it though that was in their power for several years now.
    And to come on here after you've been fighting their corner and acting as if this was a new problem you'd personally discovered afresh instead of being one of the most scandalous things that ever happened in our sport and which is bloody-well understood by everyone in our sports administration and the department, is right up there with the russian social media squad in terms of how blatant and unacceptable it is.

This mess is the NASRPC's fault and they have the authority through FISA to sort it out with the DoAST.

Perhaps you can tell us why, years after the problem was explained in public, this hasn't happened and our sport has missed out on what would amount to over a hundred thousand of euros in funding?

Excuse me Sparks, couldn't help but notice your language. If anyone else did that there would be a warning issued and the post deleted. Also noticed Cass and Vegeta, mods, thanked it. Just pointing it out.

And as soon as you can pronounce "****", you'll have a valid complaint gleeful. That wasn't a censorship filter, I typed <shift>-8 four times.

Frankly, if we weren't publishing here but sitting over a pint, I might have typed it five times. This was not some minor issue, this meant we have had a substantial reduction in our sport for most of this decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Might be worth pointing out that the ICPSA lost their core funding for about 5 years at one stage. Through a lot of hard work and cooperation with the ISC, they got it back. It can be done. But you have to work at it.

Could you hold off on criticising the answer when you don't understand it?
    FISA did not have three officers.
    FISA's entire board circulated between four bodies on a rotating basis - the three you've named and the NRAI. The NRAI got the first shift; the NASRPC was next up and then the entire thing stalled out from lack of workers before being handed on.

Exhibit 1 from the FISA constitution:

Officer Selection and Appointment Procedure.

FISA will have 3 officers. A Chairman, a Secretary and a Treasurer. The three Officers will be selected by lot based on a "random selection principle" as outlined below.

1. The term of office for these positions will be 12 months

2. Any representative (of which there will be two from every association -initially those who are members of the SSAI).may put their names forward for selection as Chairman, Secretary or Treasurer (there will be a draw of each position, members interested in taking up a position will put their names forward for the relevant draw)..

3. The names of the candidates will be drawn by a person agreed by all members of the Federation (initially the current members of the SSAI).

4. Additional roles may be co-opted or selected from the membership with the unanimous approval of the selected officers to fill such roles as Children's Officer, Anti-Doping and Development Officers. These Officers will only have voting rights if they are selected from existing committee members.

Exhibit 2 from the minutes of the SSAI AGM 25/April/2011 which dissolved itself and set up the first FISA committee

7. Review of Proposed Constitution for New Organisation.
    Lack of NASRPC representatives and their proxies discussed
    Proposed constitution discussed and some minor changes approved. Copy of new constitution attached.
    Appendix 1+2 questioned.
    Question of 2 associations needed for complaint discussed.
    Term of office of committee discussed.
    Notice for AGM discussed.
    Mission statement discussed.
    ISC recognition discussed.
    Need to dissolve SSAI discussed.

8. Vote to wind up the SSAI and form New Organisation.
    If motion to wind up the SSAI is carried.
    1. Selection of Officers in line with proposed procedure.
    2. Motions.
    3. Any other business.

If motion to wind up the SSAI is defeated.
    1. Election of Officers.
    2. Motions.
    3. Any other business.

Proposal put to meeting:

Motion to wind-up SSAI and form a new Federation in line with the constitution
    Approved above.

Proposed J.C., seconded J.P.C.
    VOTE: 5 For plus 2 Proxies
    2 Abstained

Motion passed

Selection of Officers in line with proposed procedure.

Chairman: 2 candidates, J.C. and D.B.
    D.B. chosen by random drawing, as per constitution.

Secretary: No volunteers, but B.M.E. agreed to accept.

Treasurer: No volunteers, but K.O.D. agreed to accept.

No motions put forward and no other business.

No date set for next meeting as it is up to Chairman (not present, apologies) to set
    Date for next meeting.

The meeting was adjourned.

DB was from the NASRPC, BME from the ITS and KOD from the PC

For you to come on here and say "hey, should we set up a new body to sort this out" is beyond being a silly mistake, especially for someone who only in the last week picked a fight over whether or not he was allowed to speak on the NASRPC's behalf.

Never said anything of the kind Sparks. I did suggest that maybe the NTSA might take the lead but they already exist and I know you are a bit sensitive about the independence of this group. The roots of this whole issue go back to the fact that certain of the NGB’s did not like the fact that there was a national level body above them . They liked getting financial support but did not like the way it came. You were one of the first people to
    try to change this with your first failed attempt to get the NTSA to resign from the SSAI. The advent of the IPSA finally gave you the excuse you were looking for and the rot started. Similarly the NASRPC and the NRAI wanted out and you can see who brought this about in the above minutes. The problem was that they put the cart before the horse, They should have fixed the accounting issues and got the approval of the DoAST before they put the knife in.

Have you noticed yet that when I say "that's wrong", I can point to documented evidence and when you say it, everyone can point to documented evidence refuting you?

See above documents Wrong again Sparks.

So your history timeline is entirely wrong
    Wrong again Sparks, see above documents

No, it's not inane, because that's not what inane means. Inane means "lacking sense or meaning".
    The word you're looking for is "irate". "Angry" would do. "Pissed off that people threw away decades of people's work because they were incompetent and ego-driven" would work too, but it's not one word.
    One body screwed up funding for an entire sport, and never put their hands up to it or even had the decency to apologise for the problem, let alone solve it though that was in their power for several years now.
    And to come on here after you've been fighting their corner and acting as if this was a new problem you'd personally discovered afresh instead of being one of the most scandalous things that ever happened in our sport and which is bloody-well understood by everyone in our sports administration and the department, is right up there with the russian social media squad in terms of how blatant and unacceptable it is.

Wrong again Sparks. Not one body, several. Primarily driven by the NRAI and the NASRPC. The old committee of the NASRPC who remained (largely) in power until 2 years ago. The new committee of the NASRPC are the people who I have been defending against the incessant jibes of the supporters of the old committee, strongly supported by the blatant bias of the mods on this forum.

Perhaps you can tell us why, years after the problem was explained in public, this hasn't happened and our sport has missed out on what would amount to over a hundred thousand of euros in funding?

One of the many reasons is because you are the moderator on this forum. You have been a divisive major influence on here for years. You have not been able to see that opinions, other than your own, might actually have some value. As a result you give space to those whose opinions agree with yours and belittle those that do not. I sometimes wonder why I bother spending any time here. It is hard to be a boxer in a ring when the opponent is the referee. But, the level of disinformation, bias, snideness and sheer arrogance displayed eventually makes me reach for the keyboard again

• Advertisement

Exhibit 1 from the FISA constitution:
    You're omitting the point that all the officers come from *one* body at a time.
    You're also not relaying the point that this was the *entire* point of FISA - to get away from contested elections and the associated politics and say "you want to do the job? Here you go."

And the last six years have shown what happens when you do that to people who want the row and not the job.
    Never said anything of the kind Sparks.

Really? You know we can read, right?
    where are the grants for the target rifle and pistol shooters? We used to get such grants up until the time that the Shooting Sports Association was closed down by two of the organisations that were part of it. Since this time no grants have been given, primarily because there was no recognised governing body to apply for or get them. Should this change?
    The roots of this whole issue
    Sorry, you're going to tell me about roots?
    You know I was there, right?
    certain of the NGB’s did not like the fact that there was a national level body above them
    True, but I think you'll find you have the wrong one in mind.
    They liked getting financial support but did not like the way it came.
    Literally cracking up at that one.
    You really should have been there, you'd be getting a hoot out of this as well if you had.
    You were one of the first people to
    try to change this with your first failed attempt to get the NTSA to resign from the SSAI.
    My "first failed attempt" wasn't to leave the SSAI, it was to leave the NRPAI.
    And I wasn't on the committee when they left the SSAI.
    The advent of the IPSA finally gave you the excuse you were looking for and the rot started.
    This would be the IPSA who could not join the SSAI while we were a member and could once we left?
    The ones were were banned from being in the same association with by the ISSF?
    Or is there another IPSA I don't know about and to whom we weren't talking at the time?
    Maybe it's one whose chairman I wasn't personally talking to back then?
    Similarly the NASRPC and the NRAI wanted out
    You do know who the SSAI chair was, right?
    And you did read that document about the SSAI funding I linked to in the third post, right?
    How do you square those two with that assertion?
    They should have fixed the accounting issues and got the approval of the DoAST before they put the knife in.
    So, let's see.
    There's an accounting issue, brought about by the NASRPC. It has to be resolved by FISA. FISA is currently run by the NASRPC who have been the guys in the hot seat for six years now.

But the problem was the NRAI?

Y'know what, I'm not sure you know what's going on here.

Wrong again Sparks. Not one body, several.
    Sorry, no. I know how it was set up and why because it's a funny thing, people in the admin side of things used to talk, all the time, for hours, so we were all in sync back then. The reasons for winding up the SSAI and starting FISA, the reasons for the given changes in how things would be run, were all very well known at the time. And frankly, this conversation, this position you're taking?

It got predicted. By the last chair of the SSAI. Six years ago.

I may owe him a pint now. I bet nobody would have the neck to assume that people would forget that much that fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NicholasF

There is no doubt that there needs to be a change in what is being done to bring different groups together. Beside the individual funding that is not being received, the club funding and infrastructure grants are being lost to other sports.

We have a great opportunity to pull together, mainly because of the calibre of the many shooters who doggedly continued their interest in sport when so much pushed against them. I think this is a good thread thats well said, we have been our own worse't enemies. I think shooting demands a collective responsibility.
    Nicholas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

NicholasF wrote: »
    There is no doubt that there needs to be a change in what is being done to bring different groups together. Beside the individual funding that is not being received, the club funding and infrastructure grants are being lost to other sports.

We have a great opportunity to pull together, mainly because of the calibre of the many shooters who doggedly continued their interest in sport when so much pushed against them. I think this is a good thread thats well said, we have been our own worse't enemies. I think shooting demands a collective responsibility.
    Nicholas

While I agree with you in principal, it seems there are some fundamental structural issues that need to be resolved before people can 'pull together' and take up the mantle of collective responsibility.

Mainly - if there were accounting irregularities, they need to be addressed and closed off before progress can be made.

There seem to be people here (Sparks, Badaj0dz) who know well what is going on (albeit from different perspectives) so perhaps someone can answer:

What is needed to be done by SSAI/FISA/NASRPC/The Tooth Fairy to re-establish engagement with the Dept?

What is the structure needed (I remember the ISSF/IPSA thing) to engage?

Is there a will for this to happen or are people just too jaded?

What is needed to be done by SSAI/FISA/NASRPC/The Tooth Fairy to re-establish engagement with the Dept?
    FISA needs to phone/email/write a letter/walk in the front door of the Department of Sport and enclose the list of receipts requested by them back in 2010 (if I remember the year correctly) relating to how the grant monies from that year were spent and requesting the form for the 2018 grants be forwarded to them.

Anything else the Department wants will flow from there.
    What is the structure needed (I remember the ISSF/IPSA thing) to engage?
    FISA is the only appropriate body to do this as the replacement for the SSAI (who were the Department-specified body).
    Is there a will for this to happen or are people just too jaded?
    It's not about being jaded; it's that the only people empowered under our current structure to sort this out are the NASRPC. And they're the only ones who have been empowered to do this for the last six or seven years. Anyone else deciding to do it off their own bat would (a) not have the necessary documents; and (b) not be the appropriate people to be contacting the Department and they're fussy about that sort of thing on account of how they're dispersing public monies to those contact points.

It's not about being jaded; it's that the only people empowered under our current structure to sort this out are the NASRPC. And they're the only ones who have been empowered to do this for the last six or seven years. Anyone else deciding to do it off their own bat would (a) not have the necessary documents; and (b) not be the appropriate people to be contacting the Department and they're fussy about that sort of thing on account of how they're dispersing public monies to those contact points.

Not correct.I can find no trace of FISA ever meeting. The committee was nominated but nothing appears to have happened after that. Individuals were nominated to responsibilty, not organisations, so unless they met, there is no FISA and no body responsible for it. It was designed that way to neutralise the influence of any particular body. The term of office is 12 months so their positions have expired. One way forward is for the organisations who made up FISA to send 2 reps, as stated in the constitution, to a "revival" meeting . This would follow the election procedure laid down in the constitution and the new committee could move things on by reengaging with the DoAST. I read the report from PWC and there are no show stoppers in satisfying the requirements. What they wanted was mostly new procedures put in place, many of which could be copied over from any of the constituent organisations.

Not correct.I can find no trace of FISA ever meeting.
    You'll have to pardon my lack of faith in your knowledge. That whole "we were all talking to one another to stay in sync" thing gets in the way you see.
    I read the report from PWC and there are no show stoppers in satisfying the requirements.
    Other than needing the receipts.

Also, just "copying over" procedures from an organisation isn't going to do much other than cut and paste text in a word processor.
    Actually following those procedures is a whole other ball of wax and requires an entire culture shift which frankly, given the last few months, there seems no evidence of.

Other than needing the receipts.

This was one of the medium findings and not a show stopper. It was about the process rather than individual receipt issues, in contrast to the impression you are trying to give. See the relevant finding and answer below. None of the issues were show stoppers.

. Lack of Expense Receipt Evidence

Finding

While reviewing the expense procedure payment process, there is a lack evidence of receipts attached to the expense forms. Only two officers have the ability to submit expenses in SSAI.

Rating Medium

Implication

The lack of evidence of receipts attached to expenses increases the risk of inappropriate or incorrect transactions occurring.

Recommendation

Ensure that receipts are attached to expenses and expenses are appropriately reviewed and authorised before any payments are made and store all documentation for future reference.

Management Comment and Action Plan

Agree - This has been commenced. All expenses are reviewed and reciepts are required in all instances. The Committee will resolve these issues and ultimate responsibility will rest with the treasurer and the chairman of the SSAI.

Also, just "copying over" procedures from an organisation isn't going to do much other than cut and paste text in a word processor.
    Actually following those procedures is a whole other ball of wax and requires an entire culture shift which frankly, given the last few months, there seems no evidence of.

Are you adding any value to this thread Sparks?I thought that was a prime requirement for a moderator.

This was one of the medium findings and not a show stopper.
    Yeah, I wouldn't be putting quite as much faith in that report as you seem to be. Did you ever read it? It had some unusual findings.

Mind you, I suppose that's reasonable given that PwC never actually spoke to anyone running any of the bodies it was writing the report on.
    . Lack of Expense Receipt Evidence

Finding

While reviewing the expense procedure payment process, there is a lack evidence of receipts attached to the expense forms. Only two officers have the ability to submit expenses in SSAI.

Rating Medium

Implication

The lack of evidence of receipts attached to expenses increases the risk of inappropriate or incorrect transactions occurring.

Recommendation

Ensure that receipts are attached to expenses and expenses are appropriately reviewed and authorised before any payments are made and store all documentation for future reference.

Management Comment and Action Plan

Agree - This has been commenced. All expenses are reviewed and reciepts are required in all instances. The Committee will resolve these issues and ultimate responsibility will rest with the treasurer and the chairman of the SSAI.
    Ah, you didn't read it then.

See the problem is, that section is not talking about the specific case that we've been talking about here, it's talking about the process that led to that case.

Again, since PwC never spoke to the people involved, it's not shocking that they didn't cover that in their report.

So you go into the DoAST, show them that, and they'll answer with something along the lines of "We're glad that you've bolted the barn door, but we really must insist that you also corral the horse and return it". Or "Nice, but where are the receipts we're waiting on?", to be less metaphorical.

Of course, you might have to explain the... inaccuracies in the application mentioned in the third post on the thread as well.
    But I'm sure you can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Are you adding any value to this thread Sparks?I thought that was a prime requirement for a moderator.
    Mod hat on

badaj0z the prime requirement for a moderator is to enforce the charter of a forum. Nothing more, nothing less. When a mod is acting in an official capacity the posts will nearly always be in bold.

Mod hat off

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wouldn't be putting quite as much faith in that report as you seem to be. Did you ever read it? It had some unusual findings.

Mind you, I suppose that's reasonable given that PwC never actually spoke to anyone running any of the bodies it was writing the report on.

Ah, you didn't read it then.

See the problem is, that section is not talking about the specific case that we've been talking about here, it's talking about the process that led to that case.

Again, since PwC never spoke to the people involved, it's not shocking that they didn't cover that in their report.

So you go into the DoAST, show them that, and they'll answer with something along the lines of "We're glad that you've bolted the barn door, but we really must insist that you also corral the horse and return it". Or "Nice, but where are the receipts we're waiting on?", to be less metaphorical.

Of course, you might have to explain the... inaccuracies in the application mentioned in the third post on the thread as well.
    But I'm sure you can do that.

I have read the report Sparks. Maybe you read a different report?
    This is the one I read:-

Irish Sports Council

Internal Audit Review of National Governing Bodies

The Shooting Sports Association

Final Report – October 2008

What you and I may think of the report is not relevant. What you think of how PWC put it together is also not relevant. The Sports Council, who commissioned it approved the procedure and discussed the results with the SSAI who added their reaction to each section. If the SSAI had not been executed prematurely, they would have acted on the changes as they had said.
    You will be excited to be told that some people, with a positive attitude to developing our sport have already been looking at how to progress this issue.
    It is clear from their initial analysis that:

FISA did not exist long enough to progress anything and did not seek recognition from the Sports Council.

The current rules for recognising new bodies ask that, inter alia:

They be a limited Company

They provide audited accounts for the previous 3 years

This implies that even if FISA was ressurrected, no recognition could be sought for 3 years. The SSAI is till listed as the Governing Body so maybe a way could be found to resurrect it. I know you would love that. However if it is to be progressed, it requires positive thinking people with the best interests of the sport to come together. Your attitude and negativity as displayed on this Board at every opportunity, will not prevent this happening.

I have read the report Sparks. Maybe you read a different report?
    This is the one I read:-

Irish Sports Council

Internal Audit Review of National Governing Bodies

The Shooting Sports Association

Final Report – October 2008

No, that's the one. Rejected by at least one of the bodies it talks about on the grounds that it never actually spoke to them about their internal procedures. Had a number of basic errors - things like not know which body did what, or getting umbrella bodies and NGBs mixed up and the like.

What you and I may think of the report is not relevant. What you think of how PWC put it together is also not relevant.
    I wasn't talking so much about what I thought of it, more what the SSAI bodies thought of it. The point that the chair of the SSAI had some serious issues with it struck me as being a bit relevant.

Also, are you entirely certain that the report came before the case in question?

If the SSAI had not been executed prematurely
    I take it that you're going to use hyperbolic language to imply that the role filled by the SSAI was not filled by the FISA despite the handover?
    You will be excited to be told that some people, with a positive attitude to developing our sport have already been looking at how to progress this issue.
    I won't kid you, I laughed so hard at that one that a little bit of pee nearly came out.
    It is clear from their initial analysis that:
    FISA did not exist long enough to progress anything and did not seek recognition from the Sports Council.
    Yeah, FISA still exists.
    I mean, the NASRPC hasn't done a stroke of work on it as fast as anyone knows, but that didn't mean it stopped existing.
    They be a limited Company
    They provide audited accounts for the previous 3 years
    You say that like it's got no context.

Look, draw a pause here for a moment and think.

An incident occured. An accounting problem. Unfortunate, yes, but not something that couldn't be resolved. Just paperwork.

Then there was an... inaccurate form submission. Which had the potential to be... misinterpreted due to a lack of context.

Now, for the first time since its inception, the department issuing the grant to us have instituted rules requiring the distribution point to be subject to the Companies Act. To have officially audited accounts by a chartered accountant.

This... doesn't imply something for you?
    You see no possible implications regarding the context they see these events in?

None?

....okay then.
    This implies that even if FISA was ressurrected, no recognition could be sought for 3 years.
    Sorry, no, FISA is extant. Any *new* body would require a new procedure. FISA's handover from the SSAI predates the requirements.

I mean, sure, you could just go ahead and charge on in there, but I think you'd find it was a bad idea, for the sport in general if not for any individual specifically.
    Your attitude and negativity as displayed on this Board at every opportunity, will not prevent this happening.
    Me?

Son, why do you think I'd go stick my genitals into this running kitchen appliance if I had any choice in the matter (which I do)? I'm sitting back here with the popcorn, you go right ahead, but I'd get your mother on speeddial and don your safety squints first if I were you :D

Now, the NRAI, ITS, IPC and some others, they might have a question or two. But me? I've done my twenty years thankyouverymuch, I don't feel the burning urge to sit in a room with a bunch of people who've no idea what they're doing and watch them get tied in knots - again, for the Nth time in 20 years - by professional civil servants who are used to working with professional full-time sports administrators.

The ones I feel the real pain for are the people who're still putting in their twenty, quietly, doing the scut work without very much applause and who have to cope with the fallout from all of this.

That entire posts reached new heights for you Sparks. Heights of negativity, obfuscation and cynicism.

The report is the report.As it was critical, why are you surprised that the subjects of that criticism were unhappy? All that matters is that it indicates what the DoAST will want to see changed before it does business with the target shooting community again.

FISA only ever existed on the minutes of a meeting for an hour. It is not registered anywhere, not even in the minds of the appointed officers. The biggest impression it seems to have made is on you. Why not get into a position to enable you to stand for chairman?

Why do you keep denying the obvious and still trying the blame the NASRPC for everything? If the supporters of the old committee were bright enough to work out that you were getting at them then we would see less of them on here, what a nice idea.

Your last paragraph is the worst. Why do you have to deride the efforts of the volunteers who do their bit to move the sport forward. Do you still shoot? Do you still coach?If so I hope you act less cynically with the people you meet.

i

Vegeta wrote: »
    Mod hat on

badaj0z the prime requirement for a moderator is to enforce the charter of a forum. Nothing more, nothing less. When a mod is acting in an official capacity the posts will nearly always be in bold.

Mod hat off

OK so not a prime requirement. It would be a "nice to have" though.

The report is the report.As it was critical, why are you surprised that the subjects of that criticism were unhappy?
    I'm not surprised in the slightest. I'd be unhappy too if PwC had done a report into a body I was running, without ever talking to me or anyone else on the board about how the body was run, and getting several basic things wrong in the report as a result.

I don't mean basic as in "stuff you'd know if you had spent years in the organisation", I mean "stuff like the name of the organisation".

All that matters is that it indicates what the DoAST will want to see changed before it does business with the target shooting community again.
    Specifically, they want the receipts.
    That's your starting point.
    They may want to talk about the inaccuracies on the above-mentioned form as well, but they'll want the receipts first as those were the first item in the timeline of events.

And they have this odd habit of asking for a thing and then not getting distracted by ten-page screeds on how it's a different time now and how we all partied and how if you really think about it none of this is real, it's all shadows on Plato's cave wall. They're odd that way.

It's almost like it was their day job or something.
    FISA only ever existed on the minutes of a meeting for an hour.
    Nope, sorry, it doesn't work like that, not least because of the contact between the SSAI, DoAST and DoJ prior to the winding up and handover to FISA.

Not to mention that if you applied your idea of what makes a thing exist a bit more widely, you'd be saying the NASRPC doesn't exist because it's not in the CRO's records either (even though it shouldn't be there, as it's an unincorporated association).

You'd also have to say the SSAI never existed, because of how it was formed (at the behest of a current NASRPC board member, before you come up with the "that was another time" stuff).

In fact, you'd be left with very very few associations or clubs left existing at all. It'd be a metaphysical annihilation. They're usually a bad thing.
    Why not get into a position to enable you to stand for chairman?
    See above comments on genitals and running kitchen appliances.
    Why do you keep denying the obvious and still trying the blame the NASRPC for everything?
    Because stating the obvious is kindof a weakness of mine, and that has a nasty side effect of highlighting when people keep screwing up things for others.
    Mind you, if they didn't keep on doing it, year in and year out, for literally decades...
    Your last paragraph is the worst. Why do you have to deride the efforts of the volunteers who do their bit to move the sport forward.
    Hang on a second...
    rereads his post
    ...no, I definitely wrote that in english and not swahili. Strange you read it to mean the exact opposite of what the words said.

Perplexing, even.

I'm not surprised in the slightest. I'd be unhappy too if PwC had done a report into a body I was running, without ever talking to me or anyone else on the board about how the body was run, and getting several basic things wrong in the report as a result.

I don't mean basic as in "stuff you'd know if you had spent years in the organisation", I mean "stuff like the name of the organisation".
    Relevance?
    Specifically, they want the receipts.
    That's your starting point.
    They may want to talk about the inaccuracies on the above-mentioned form as well, but they'll want the receipts first as those were the first item in the timeline of events.

Just to make sure we understand you here Sparks, what receipts , demanded from whom?

Not to mention that if you applied your idea of what makes a thing exist a bit more widely, you'd be saying the NASRPC doesn't exist because it's not in the CRO's records either (even though it shouldn't be there, as it's an unincorporated association).

You'd also have to say the SSAI never existed, because of how it was formed (at the behest of a current NASRPC board member, before you come up with the "that was another time" stuff).

In fact, you'd be left with very very few associations or clubs left existing at all. It'd be a metaphysical annihilation. They're usually a bad thing.

Bluster/hot air

Hang on a second...
    rereads his post
    ...no, I definitely wrote that in english and not swahili. Strange you read it to mean the exact opposite of what the words said.

Perplexing, even.
    Not perplexing, usually caused by a disconnect between your brain and your hand.

At the start of this thread, you were condemning me for not producing documents and praising your self for all your previous links in your long history of posting(even though many of those links were to your own pronouncements in other threads). Then when I produced the relevant documents, you answered with the weakest post I have ever see from you. Now you have become a disciple of Trump and believe that if you make a statement often enough, people will believe you. You also have become very verbose so you have adopted the usual political approach that it is better to bluster when you are losing an argument than stutter and look embarrassed.

Relevance?
    You asked.
    Just to make sure we understand you here Sparks, what receipts , demanded from whom?
    No. And nobody else is to post the relevant names here either.
    Perhaps my excessively deliberate choosing of words escaped you, so let me be clear; this is a topic that needs slightly more consideration in its discussion than you're used to in order to avoid fun and games with the Defamation Act.
    The relevant people know what receipts are required; open discussion of their contents I leave to people with more time to spend with their legal teams. They may submit and fight the relevant FOI requests and publish on their own websites the relevant details if they so wish; that is their prerogative.

But this isn't the forum to be posting the names of people who may or may not be here to defend themselves from people who are not required to divulge their identity.
    I don't think such a forum exists, for good reasons.
    Complaints about associations and other non-identifying groups, that's a whole other ball of wax.
    Bluster/hot air
    I'm sorry, it must be frustrating when people take you seriously and point out what it is that you're saying is rubbish because of the implications if it was true.

The thing is that the SSAI, FISA and NASRPC are in the same legal grouping of Unincorporated Associations. If you think the FISA doesn't exist because it's not registered with the CRO (the only place such a body could be registered) then the same is true of the others. And the vast majority of our clubs and other associations as well.
    You also have become very verbose so you have adopted the usual political approach that it is better to bluster when you are losing an argument than stutter and look embarrassed.
    Ah, you did notice me choosing my words carefully. You just didn't understand why. Well, no harm, lesson learnt and next time you'll know why.

I'd advise that the next time you also bite down for a moment and ask "Why is the person I'm talking to choosing their words so carefully? Should I be doing so? What did I miss?"
    In the areas you're stomping around in like a bull in a china shop, that would be a Very. Useful. Skillset.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Gleefulprinter

So is this you being a Mod now? It's not in bold so it's very confusing. :confused:

Gleeful, you'll find more entertainment down the pub.
    But since you insist:

Mod Note: Please review the Shooting Forum Charter, specifically this part:
    We do not allow people to 'get the boot in' or to use boards.ie ltd as an anonymous platform to unjustly defame others. We never have and we're not interested in starting now.

Hopefully that's nice and clear.

• Advertisement

You asked. .

I did, and you did not answer.
    Perhaps my excessively deliberate choosing of words escaped you, so let me be clear; this is a topic that needs slightly more consideration in its discussion than you're used to in order to avoid fun and games with the Defamation Act.
    The relevant people know what receipts are required; open discussion of their contents I leave to people with more time to spend with their legal teams. They may submit and fight the relevant FOI requests and publish on their own websites the relevant details if they so wish; that is their prerogative.

But this isn't the forum to be posting the names of people who may or may not be here to defend themselves from people who are not required to divulge their identity.
    I don't think such a forum exists, for good reasons.
    Complaints about associations and other non-identifying groups, that's a whole other ball of wax.

Interesting. But, why is this not reflected in the official report? If there was any substance to your careful wording and it did reflect on any individuals, why did it not also reflect on the organisations which they were part of?
    The thing is that the SSAI, FISA and NASRPC are in the same legal grouping of Unincorporated Associations. If you think the FISA doesn't exist because it's not registered with the CRO (the only place such a body could be registered) then the same is true of the others. And the vast majority of our clubs and other associations as well.
    So what has this to do with our debate.The FISA non existence officially is supported by the FISA non existence in substance. No meetings, no documentation, no trail, no presence. Obfuscation.

You are still trying to evade the point of this thread. How do we, the clubs, the shooters and shooting organisations work together to get access again to the funding that is available? All you have done is to cast blame on current organisations for the failure of their previous incarnations to do what they should have done.. Are you capable of setting your biased history aside and suggesting some positive actions?

Advertisement