Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trains delayed by cyclists - still worth it for video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

He may be a muppet but he's a damn lucky muppet. Could have been a whole lot worse. Not the kind of thing I'd be happy to laugh at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that a schoolbag on his back, possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

clown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Does IE pursue cyclists/motorists for the cost of repairs to railway crossings?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Does IE pursue cyclists/motorists for the cost of repairs to railway crossings?

Yes if caught.... He won't be caught..

Insurance would usually take the hit if one has it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

is that a schoolbag on his back, possibly?

Nah guitar...

They don't even pay train tax Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yes if caught.... He won't be caught..

Insurance would usually take the hit if one has it.

Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Says who?

Guy on bike.... No reg and picture quality terrible.

Guy on bike.... No reg and picture quality terrible.

Well there is more than one CCTV image on the crossing and i am sure there will be many other camera's along that road.

I am sure he could be caught but it depends on how much effort IE and the Guards are prepared to put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »
    Nah guitar...

They don't even pay train tax Joe!

actually looking at the end part again, it looks like someone is straddling the back standing up on the rear wheel (or sitting further back on the saddle)?

Thought it was a guitar but looks like a kid in a grey hoodie now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I read all the posts before looking at the video... And thought people were being a bit "unkind", then I watched the clip..
    . . He got away very lightly...
    How long before he tries to sue I. E..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Depends whether it was actually damaged as well - could be that there's sensors to reset or they have to check for damage, rather there being significant damage. I'd say the damage done from coming down on someone like this idiot compared to the cases when it's a vehicle, or a bridge strike are fairly minimal, and probably not worth pursuing?

Assuming the gates are stuck down, I'm surprised they have to stop the trains? Again, unless there's safety features that have to be reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well there is more than one CCTV image on the crossing and i am sure there will be many other camera's along that road.

I am sure he could be caught but it depends on how much effort IE and the Guards are prepared to put in.

Crimecall have twice showed a video of a guy smashing up a train station (Sallins?) - the video is clear as day with the perpetrator's face very visible but they still haven't identified him. So I wouldn't be optimistic they'll be able to identify a distant blob on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

I've seen this video this morning and to me it actually looks more like the individual involved was riding a moped or one of those bolted on petrol-engined bike's, rather than a typical pedal bike.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cyclist-hits-railway-crossing/

Not that it makes any difference in terms of condoning of the behavior of the individual but if it was someone on a moped or motor / e-motor propelled vehicle then the potential for incremental damage is greater, and from it the incurred delays to rail services. Just saying in this instance Irish Rail might look at the video evidence again..

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Serves him right.

Are the barriers out of sync normally? The one he hit came down later ... or is this a deliberate system?

GBX wrote: »
    Serves him right.

Are the barriers out of sync normally? The one he hit came down later ... or is this a deliberate system?

It's how they operate to allow anyone driving in whichever direction to pass if they are between the barriers when they are dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

GBX wrote: »
    Serves him right.

I would imagine the 'exit' barrier comes down later to prevent trapping someone between the gates .

edit : aha, great minds think alike...

Advertisement